Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Travel Card for Non-Travellers

tag
digitek
Established Contributor

Re: Best Travel Card for Non-Travellers

I have a CSR and I don't travel very often.  I got it for the sign-up bonus.

I am not yet decided on if I will keep it after one year.  For $150 a year you get 4.5% cashback on dining/travel, lounge access, and a **bleep**e ton of travel insurance.  You have to spend at leat $300 in travel, though.  I'm not sure if that is right for me or not.  I need to eat out less, lounges are full/closed when I need them, other cards have decent travel insurance built-in.  I really like just straight cash back, not having to spend it through a portal.

FNBO sounds perfect for people like me.  There is no AF, and when I do travel I would get a better than normal cash back plus $100 each year to spend on bag fees and stuff and free Global Entry fee.  I will be applying for it soon I think and cancelling CSR.

*edit* forgot to add that I have a VISA with no FTF, so not so worried about Amex acceptance internationally.

Message 21 of 29
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@digitek wrote:

I have a CSR and I don't travel very often.  I got it for the sign-up bonus.

I am not yet decided on if I will keep it after one year.  For $150 a year you get 4.5% cashback on dining/travel, lounge access, and a **bleep**e ton of travel insurance.  You have to spend at leat $300 in travel, though.  I'm not sure if that is right for me or not.  I need to eat out less, lounges are full/closed when I need them, other cards have decent travel insurance built-in.  I really like just straight cash back, not having to spend it through a portal.

FNBO sounds perfect for people like me.  There is no AF, and when I do travel I would get a better than normal cash back plus $100 each year to spend on bag fees and stuff and free Global Entry fee.  I will be applying for it soon I think and cancelling CSR.

*edit* forgot to add that I have a VISA with no FTF, so not so worried about Amex acceptance internationally.

Thanks! I started to feel like I was the only one...I probably would be in your situation if I got CSR. Somebody here mentioned Mariott's free night per year...that has an AF of $85 but you'd be hard-pressed to find a nice room for cheaper...I am also considering this one. FNBO has it's cons but definitely has its perks...you could use its $100 to get into a Centurion lounge and still have $50 for stuff on the flight...or you could simply not fly and nothing bad happens either. I can't apply now even if I wanted...I hear they're new account sensetive and I just got a home loan, a HELOC, and a new credit card in the past couple of months.

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 22 of 29
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I'm pretty sure the $50 Cent admission fee is only for Amex - issued cards...and not just any Amex network card.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 23 of 29
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

I'm pretty sure the $50 Cent admission fee is only for Amex - issued cards...and not just any Amex network card.

Just verified this with a chat. The rep was completely unaware that regular Amex cardholders could even gain access for $50...so I don't completely believe him...but he eventually agreed that I could gain one-day access for $50 with my Amex BCE...but not with Travelite.

So why does it list lounge access as something the credit could be applied to if nobody seems to accept this card as payment? Certain airlines require certain ticket types (first class, business, etc)...I would like to know if anyone has successfully used this lol. Thank you for pointing that out wasCB14. I've learned a lot in this thread.

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 24 of 29
NRB525
Super Contributor

@SecretAzure wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

Just verified this with a chat. The rep was completely unaware that regular Amex cardholders could even gain access for $50...so I don't completely believe him...but he eventually agreed that I could gain one-day access for $50 with my Amex BCE...but not with Travelite.

So why does it list lounge access as something the credit could be applied to if nobody seems to accept this card as payment? Certain airlines require certain ticket types (first class, business, etc)...I would like to know if anyone has successfully used this lol. Thank you for pointing that out wasCB14. I've learned a lot in this thread.

The Centurion Lounge, to my understanding, requires the AMEX Platinum to get in. You cannot buy your way in with any other card, even for a day fee on a PRG or BCE.

The Travelite could likely be used to buy into a Delta lounge, and other lounge networks will let you buy in in certain cases, just not the few Centurion lounges. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 25 of 29
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Who is eligible to visit The Centurion Lounge?

Access to The Centurion Lounge is complimentary for global Platinum Card® and Centurion® Members. All other Card Members with a valid American Express® Credit or Charge Card are eligible to purchase access to the Lounge for $50 per day, subject to capacity.
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 26 of 29
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@NRB525 wrote:

@SecretAzure wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

The Centurion Lounge, to my understanding, requires the AMEX Platinum to get in. You cannot buy your way in with any other card, even for a day fee on a PRG or BCE.

The Travelite could likely be used to buy into a Delta lounge, and other lounge networks will let you buy in in certain cases, just not the few Centurion lounges. 

I can't speak from personal experience, but I did find this:

AmexLounge2.png

Also, specifically regarding non-Centurion bank Amex cards:

AmexLounge.png

http://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access#q-if-my-american-express-card-is-issued-outside-of-the-us-...

Message 27 of 29
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@SecretAzure wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

I can't speak from personal experience, but I did find this:

AmexLounge2.png

Also, specifically regarding non-Centurion bank Amex cards:

AmexLounge.png

http://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access#q-if-my-american-express-card-is-issued-outside-of-the-us-...

Thanks UncleB...so make sure you take a printed copy of this and you'd be good to go! Fantastic! I had guessed as much because to me Amex not only encompasses the credit card issuer but also the "Visa Signature" or "World Elite" statuses. This is the same as saying that you get the benefit of being able to buy into a Centurion lounge as is extended warranty protection on Signature, regardless of which Visa card.

Message 28 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I say Disco Miles. You can use them for Miles or cash it out for money if you don't travel. Plus you can beat the double miles for first year on a no AF card.
Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.