Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One '6 Month Rule' Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One '6 Month Rule' Question

Hi folks,

I have a quick question regarding Capital One's 6-month rule. Is it interpreted as the act of applying for a credit card once per 6 months whether you're approved or denied, or is the rule referencing only being able to be approved for a card once every 6 months?

I may have asked that question in a convoluted way. My apologies if so!

Thank you~

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Capital One '6 Month Rule' Question

I would assume the clock starts once you get approved for the card itself and not just the application. My understanding is CapOne will not do any HPs anyways if you're not eligible to apply for any of their cards during that six month cooldown period.

Message 2 of 10
3se7ens
Frequent Contributor

Capital One 1/6 Rule Summary:

• You can only apply for one Capital One credit card per six months; 1/6 rule.
  • Automated System Denial; Any cards that are applied for past 1/6 won’t be processed at all and no hard pull is done.
  • All credit cards are included in this rule, both personal card and business cards. So, for example, if you apply for the Venture Card, you won’t be able to apply for Spark for Business until six months later.
  • As long as you’re approved, you could get the bonus on a new card, even if you have the exact same card already.
  • You can still have multiples of the same card open at the same time if you space out the applications. e.g. two Ventures or two Sparks for Business.

Smiley Wink

As of 3/2022

EQ.-721  |  TU.-731  |  EX.-708

Top Cards:

AmEx Gold - $10,000 POT. BofA Americard $17,000 NFCU CR. $16,000 NFCU Plat.$15,000 FNBO Visa $14,800

Disco Miles $14,000 Chase FU $13,900 USAA Signature $13,000  PayPal MC $10,000 

Macy's AmEx $25,000 Macy's AmEx (upgraded) $25,000

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah okay, and you're only able to hold 2 Capital One cards at a time, right?

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey, thanks for the detailed explanation. I appreciate it.

Message 5 of 10
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If they are sub-prime cards yes they limit you to two. Wtih the prime cards (Savor, QS, Venture, etc.) I do not believe there is any hardcap on # cards you can hold I'm aware of.

Message 6 of 10
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@3se7ens wrote:

Capital One 1/6 Rule Summary:

• You can only apply for one Capital One credit card per six months; 1/6 rule.
  • Automated System Denial; Any cards that are applied for past 1/6 won’t be processed at all and no hard pull is done.
  • All credit cards are included in this rule, both personal card and business cards. So, for example, if you apply for the Venture Card, you won’t be able to apply for Spark for Business until six months later.
  • As long as you’re approved, you could get the bonus on a new card, even if you have the exact same card already.
  • You can still have multiples of the same card open at the same time if you space out the applications. e.g. two Ventures or two Sparks for Business.

Smiley Wink

This is still slightly confusing to me. You can only "apply" meaning an application will only even be considered every 6 months? Or you can only be approved every six months?

Not sure the second bullet point is entirely true, as I've seen people apply for more than one C1 card within 6 months and get pulled again in that timeframe. YMMV I guess. I tried for the Savor twice in 2017 and got triple pulled both times and denied, and I don't think it was six months apart at all, maybe 3 months.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got my QSOne card in August and 3 months later I was approved for the Plat card. So not sure if I was lucky or what.

Message 8 of 10
3se7ens
Frequent Contributor

Understanding Rewards Credit Card Application Rules and Restrictions (Updated December 2018)

This makes it pretty clear.

As of 3/2022

EQ.-721  |  TU.-731  |  EX.-708

Top Cards:

AmEx Gold - $10,000 POT. BofA Americard $17,000 NFCU CR. $16,000 NFCU Plat.$15,000 FNBO Visa $14,800

Disco Miles $14,000 Chase FU $13,900 USAA Signature $13,000  PayPal MC $10,000 

Macy's AmEx $25,000 Macy's AmEx (upgraded) $25,000

Message 9 of 10
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You'll be denied for the Secured Mastercard, Journey, Platinum, and QuicksilverOne if you currently have two or more Capital One Cards.

You'll be denied for the Venture, VentureOne, Savor, SavorOne, Quicksilver, and Spark cards if you currently have five or more Capital One cards.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.