Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Balance Transfer Question??? Help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Balance Transfer Question??? Help

Cap1 allows balance transfers from other credit cards (not their cards or affiliates) personal loans, student loans and auto loans.

The no hassle check you can pay anyone or anything including depositing into your bank account. Obviously this option is not available to you.

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dalmus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all, I tried searching the forums but maybe I'm searching wrong. I have a question about a Capital One Balance Transfer. I currently have a joint account for a water service with my husband. My husband's name is the only name generated on the bill but the account is a joint account. I wanted to know can I still do a balance transfer on this account to the Capital One card? I called Capital one about the no hassle checks and they told me I don't have that option, I can only do the balance transfer online or through chat. I wanted to do it now because it's going to take some time and I want to make sure it's done before my bill is due. This account accrues interest daily too so can someone assist me with my question please??? 

Thanks in advance.

Although I've never tried it, I don't see why you can't submit the BT request like any credit card.  They'll ask for the Payee (Anytown Water Works), an account number, and an address.

You can also use a bill pay service like Plastiq, which will make the payment for you after charging your credit card.  You'll pay a 3% (ish) processing fee, though.  They'll probably send a check and it'll take 7-10 days to get credited to your account.

Alternately, if its an emergency and you NEED the bill paid quickly, there's also the Paypal method that can get money from your credit card to your bank account.

Edit:

Maybe I misunderstood... Is the entity you owe money to NOT the municipal water company?  If its not and is a private business, I'd probably just go with Plastiq or Paypal.

Thank you.. I guess me saying my water bill is confusing. It's not a municipal water company. It's a company like Empire Today or something of the sort. They finance water filtration systems. Anyway, I wanted to pay off that account but they don't offer payments with credit cards. I've done balance transfers before and I know they use EFT's to make payments to the accounts you transfer which would be almost like me pushing a payment through my bank. Anyway, I'm just going to try. I called the company and both names are on the account but the bill just generates my husband name. Hopefully they pay it but if not I'm not out of anything but I'll still be paying interest on the original account. Smiley LOL

Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dalmus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all, I tried searching the forums but maybe I'm searching wrong. I have a question about a Capital One Balance Transfer. I currently have a joint account for a water service with my husband. My husband's name is the only name generated on the bill but the account is a joint account. I wanted to know can I still do a balance transfer on this account to the Capital One card? I called Capital one about the no hassle checks and they told me I don't have that option, I can only do the balance transfer online or through chat. I wanted to do it now because it's going to take some time and I want to make sure it's done before my bill is due. This account accrues interest daily too so can someone assist me with my question please??? 

Thanks in advance.

Although I've never tried it, I don't see why you can't submit the BT request like any credit card.  They'll ask for the Payee (Anytown Water Works), an account number, and an address.

You can also use a bill pay service like Plastiq, which will make the payment for you after charging your credit card.  You'll pay a 3% (ish) processing fee, though.  They'll probably send a check and it'll take 7-10 days to get credited to your account.

Alternately, if its an emergency and you NEED the bill paid quickly, there's also the Paypal method that can get money from your credit card to your bank account.

Edit:

Maybe I misunderstood... Is the entity you owe money to NOT the municipal water company?  If its not and is a private business, I'd probably just go with Plastiq or Paypal.

Thank you.. I guess me saying my water bill is confusing. It's not a municipal water company. It's a company like Empire Today or something of the sort. They finance water filtration systems. Anyway, I wanted to pay off that account but they don't offer payments with credit cards. I've done balance transfers before and I know they use EFT's to make payments to the accounts you transfer which would be almost like me pushing a payment through my bank. Anyway, I'm just going to try. I called the company and both names are on the account but the bill just generates my husband name. Hopefully they pay it but if not I'm not out of anything but I'll still be paying interest on the original account. Smiley LOL

Please help me understand this, honestly for my own education. How exactly are you going to attempt to pay this through Cap1?

Message 13 of 22
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dalmus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Edit:

Please help me understand this, honestly for my own education. How exactly are you going to attempt to pay this through Cap1?

I just went through the process of doing a balance transfer on CapitalOne.com to see if this would work.  They ask for an account number and a payment amount, then they ask for the Bank/Business name and address.

That's it.  There's no language in the process that says a BT can only be performed Bank to Bank.

I think the OP will be fine.  It'll probably just take a little extra time because Cap1 will have to generate a check rather than do an EFT.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dalmus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dalmus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Edit:

I just went through the process of doing a balance transfer on CapitalOne.com to see if this would work.  They ask for an account number and a payment amount, then they ask for the Bank/Business name and address.

That's it.  There's no language in the process that says a BT can only be performed Bank to Bank.

I think the OP will be fine.  It'll probably just take a little extra time because Cap1 will have to generate a check rather than do an EFT.

@Dalmus.... You understand, thanks! I have an account number and billing address, that's all I need. My question was really about can I do the BT because the bill states my husbands name. I'm requesting it now. 

Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dalmus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dalmus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Edit:

@Dalmus.... You understand, thanks! I have an account number and billing address, that's all I need. My question was really about can I do the BT because the bill states my husbands name. I'm requesting it now. 

OK, I get it now. Please let me know if it goes through as a BT. I appreciate it.

Message 16 of 22
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

lol  Actually, I think I JUST understood!  You were never asking if Cap1 would do the transfer to a non-bank, you were asking if they would do a transfer from another account that wasn't in your name.

We all need lessons in reading comprehension!

THAT question is easy.  The banks don't care where the money is going when you transfer a balance to them.  I've read about many people here using a BT to pay off a parent's card, or a friend's card.

Another question though...  Was it a limited time fincancing offer from the company that is expiring, or do you have a better interest rate on the Cap1 card?

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 17 of 22
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just found the answer- Yes I can do the Balance Transfer-

Thanks in advance.

I don't think there would be a problem, Capital One would send them a check. But balance transfers can take up to 10 days.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I just found the answer- Yes I can do the Balance Transfer-

Thanks in advance.

I don't think there would be a problem, Capital One would send them a check. But balance transfers can take up to 10 days.

That's fine my bills not due until next month. I already submitted the request it was approved. Now I'll just wait. Thanks everyone. I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome. That 18% interest is killing me ugh.

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck Jdana. Most likely the rep you spoke with was misinformed ( as often happens with customer service reps). As long as you have a BT offer in your account, you should be able to either request a no hassle check or BT from another card. An account manager once told me that both options are available (not just one of the two) when a BT offer is available within an account. Hope it all works out well!
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.