Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Now Offering Virtual Card Numbers

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Capital One Now Offering Virtual Card Numbers

Capital One is now offering virtual card numbers.

The virtual numbers are assigned through an extension to the Chrome browser (not compatible with other browsers).

Per the FAQ, the virtual numbers are associated with your regular card number and earn the same rewards.  Also, this is for personal cards only; at this time business cards aren't eligible.

CapOneGo1.pngCapOneGo2.png

When you're on a website that asks for a credit card number the extension will offer to generate one for you.  I've not yet completed a new order, but from what I understand it will also attempt to populate the card details in the proper fields as well.

This reminds me of the old PayPal extension from years ago that had similar functionality (including populating card details).  One notable difference, though, is that the PayPal extension gave the option for virtual numbers to be one-time use or multiple use; from what I can tell the Capital One virtual numbers are all multi-use.

Here's a link for more info (if you're not using Chrome just close the 'Not Supported' pop-up):  https://www.capitalone.com/go/?external_id=CARD_WIB_EASE_M230_04

(Note that you can also get to the link while logged in to your Capital One account.)

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Now Offering Virtual Card Numbers

Good info UncleB..thank you.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually found this in my Settings page yesterday, but the browser extension denied me entry - something about I haven't been using my phone number long enough (I've been using this phone number exclusively for 6+ years). I called Cap1 and after some deliberation, it was determined my account was too new and I'd have to try to set it up in another month or two.

I used ShopSafe all the time on BoA before I burned them. I love virtual numbers - they mask your real number from the seller for safety's sake, but they're also useful for setting specific limits e.g. to prevent recurring charges. I'm looking forward to being able to use this feature, if and when I become eligible :-) 

Message 3 of 13
Blodreina
Established Contributor

Yay....I've always loved this feature on my Bank of America and Citi cards.

Message 4 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

What kinda rewards does this offer? Smiley Wink

1st Savor, now Virtual, i need to ask myself whats in MY walletSmiley Wink
Message 5 of 13
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@CommanderLexa wrote:

Yay....I've always loved this feature on my Bank of America and Citi cards.

I wished ALL issuers used this feature.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

The commercial clients for capital one have the option for virtual cards as well. 

Message 7 of 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@tbankston wrote:

The commercial clients for capital one have the option for virtual cards as well. 

Ah, this is good to know.  Smiley Happy

It is strange that they would seemingly leave out business cards... possibly they will be added eventually. 

It's also possible the FAQ is outdated/incomplete... I'll defer to someone with business cards to test that out.  Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 13
marty56
Super Contributor

BofA also does that.  It's a no-brainer if you do a lot of online bill pay or purchases.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome thanks for this! I used to pay for a service just to have virtual card numbers.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.