Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital Ones Highest Limits?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital Ones Highest Limits?

Long story short Got a Capital One Quicksilver credit card $500 limit back in 2015 at 25% Interest which at the time I had no credit since I had a bunch of charges removed during that time, but had 1 old closed account from 2006 still on my report, which helped out a little bit. The credit limit increased slowly during these 3 years but only to $2k About a year ago I was offered an upgrade to a Platinum card with the same terms. 7 Months ago, I requested a credit increase and they gave $4.5k, Ive had so many issues with Capital One requesting credit increases and giving so many excuses why I have been denied, from not making larger than monthly minimum payments continuously to my account is eligible for an increase at this time. I just recently requested another credit increase and again I was denied and wondering the hecks Capital Ones problem is. The 25% interest rate is horrible but considering I am at 760 across the board on the 3 bureaus and with this being my only credit card, I think I should at least get a higher limit.

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital Ones Highest Limits?

Score is just one of many factors, income, DTI, payment habits and usage all play a role, specially usage when it comes with CapOne. I have been denied CLI 9 straight times since 6/30/17 for not enough usage, my scores are in 830s.
Message 2 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're bucketed with that starter card. It won't ever grow the way you want it to. If you want a higher limit, you'll need to open a new card with Capital One if you think the pull on each bureau is worth it.

Personally, with your score and single card, I would be checking Discover for prequalified offers. They seem to really like to approve people who don't have a lot of cards and the first year is 2% back on everything and 10% back on rotating categories (you get the regular 1% and 5% on your statements and then after your first 12 billing cycles ends you get a match for all of the cash back you earned).

Capital One is known far too well around here for their horrible bucketing policies. I keep my Cap because it is my oldest card and has no annual fee but it gets a couple bucks here and there now that I've gotten a portfolio of much better cards.

Message 3 of 35
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Use it very heavily for 3 months straight. You'll get a CLI.

Message 4 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

OP seems to be around $6.5K an DPs suggest that starter cards will only grow to around 8K. I've seen multiple reports of them stopping at $8250 which is, coincidentally, where my own stopped in March.

Much better to get a card with much more favorable terms than try to keep squeezing out that final $1750 on this one. OP's scores would get them any card of their choosing depending on their income.

Message 5 of 35
wasCB14
Super Contributor

You "upgraded" from QS to Platinum? To the limited extent I'm familiar with those cards, that would be a downgrade. What are the rewards and annual fees, if any, involved? Maybe you mean QS1 to a Platinum-with-rewards variant? Was there an APR reduction?

Perhaps move on to greener pastures. With 760+ scores, you can be fairly picky about who you do business with.

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

The suitability of this would depend on the card terms. If it's an inherently lousy card, a CLI might not really be that useful vs. a new and better account.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 35
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Op you originally got the Plat and upgraded to the QS with that SL amount. When you went online to upgrade they had the same card you were oringianlly approved for. In turn no upgrade because it was the same Platinum. You got a bucket card. 2015-16 QS starting CL's was $5000+ WEMC's then to VS's for the regular non upgraded QS. I had both starters then moved up to their top 3 tier Cap1 cards that all started at $10,000 a piece. That will explain your situation. If you apply for the regular QS now. (triple pull) Yes it will be as higher SL and lower interest. Call it like I did back then Plat/QS. With your scores now. You have a lot of open doors to get what you want more now than back then. Good Luck!

Message 7 of 35
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Problem i see is its your only credit card. You need to branch out. 760 will get you most major credit cards snd there are plenty of lenders where growth is more possible than Capitil One. Lender diversity is good so that when one card doesnt work, you have other options.
Message 8 of 35
CramEiko
Established Contributor

So, Mine started with a $300 CL in 2015 @ 25% (YUK) and is now at $8k and holding. Not to dissapoint you or anything but, have you looked at your intrests rate on that card lately? With rates going up mine is now at 27%. Never missed a payment and always PIF. It is now a SD card getting $20 spend every 3 mo or so. Cap1 has only been able to offer me rate reductions that last 7 mo at a time. in April this SD card hits 4 yrs in age. I'd cancel it but since there isn't an AF I'll just let it cozy up in the SD. I even told the CSR rep that if Cap1 wanted me to use the card, decrease my APR as if I were app'n for a new one. So much for "customer relationships".

"It's Not in my Wallet" now...... Bahahaha

Good Luck!

Updated Feb 2023:
Citi Double Cash: $26,300
Citi Costco: $33,800
PenFed Power Cash: $50,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited: $33,400
NFCU Cash Rewards: $29,000
BoA Unlimited Cash: $99,900
Wells Fargo Active Cash: $50,000
Citi AAdvantage Executive: $30,500
Wells Fargo Mortgage 30yr fixed 3.625%

Business Cards:
BoA Business Advantage Unlimited Cash: $8,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000

RIP: EECU PLOC | BBVA PLOC | Chase SP | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | WF Propel | Cap1 QS | AMEX Gold | BoA Custom Cash | Lowes | Barclays Aviator Red
Message 9 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the great information, I am versed in credit but as always seeking new information on how the companies operate. I have a complicated credit history and have a business and will be obtaining a property in a few months or as the markets slides down. 

2008 is all I need to say, 7 accounts went into charge off status. I didnt do a BK, so they just fell off in 2015. AE, BofA, Chase, Citi, Disc, Wells I am aware of blacklisted companies. I have a business banking account with BofA and personal account with BBVA. At the time in 2015 I had only 1 past good standing account that had been closed for not using the card enough, it helped me get the QS1 (not qs as I said before). I have an income of $73k My DTI is at 11% and only credit card is the Capital One.  Credit score is 760 to 780 depending on which one is viewed. Again due to a property purchase coming up, I am very careful to obtain new credit for my personal self I dont mind taking 2 inquires for the business side as long its not reported on my personal credit report as BBVA would do if I got a business credit card with them. My Business has 1 Chevron gas card $8k in it own tax id and I am not the personal guarantor on this card. So yes I am aware I can obtain better credit limits with other companies, but at the moment I am just trying to up the credit limit on my current card, if I can get it to $8k that would be fine with me. 

Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.