Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital one verification process

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital one verification process

Please someone help me

I am new to Capital one. I was recently approved for a Capital one Platinum with a $500 limit. I was approved around November 23rd or 24th which is very exciting because I'm trying to build my credit and also it would help tremendously with Christmas. unfortunately since I received the card, I have not been able to get it activated because my identity is unable to be verified.

initially when I tried to get it activated, my cell number was not listing me as the owner even though it's a contract account. so capital one requested for me to text a pic of the back of my license. I had lost my driver's license so I went to get a new license at the BMV. The state of Ohio only gives you a printout at the time you get your driver's license and they mail the real license to you. Capital one does not accept the print out even though if a police officer was to pull me over, they accept it as proof of identity. so I had to wait about 10 days to receive my actual license in the mail. when I received my license I immediately called to try and get my card activated and send a picture of the license through a text message, however, when the person from the fraud department tried to text me, he received an error message. it would not work even though I had previously had a customer service rep send me the text before I had my license. so he told me I could either send it through the email and wait 7 to 10 business days for my identity to be verified and my card to be activated or I can call back in a couple hours and see if the text message would work. maybe it was on his end.

I actually waited till the next day and talked to a different person. this person couldn't send the text either and also received the error message. he said I would have to send it through email and on top of my driver's license front and back, because it was a newly issued license I would have to send in my social security card along with proof of address like a utility bill. I sent them my phone bill which he said was fine because it was a reoccurring bill. So I submit all the documents on December 10th or December 11th. I wait a day to call and make sure they received my documents and everything was okay. I guess I had forgotten to sign my social security card so I had to sign my social security card and resubmit that through the email. again I am told because it's email even though they can see everything and the pictures are good that I have to wait 7 to 10 business days for all my documents to be verified.

I'm checking on it daily because the only reason I applied for this card was to help with Christmas and I don't understand why the verification process is taking so long since it's already been documented that I sent everything that was requested. I'm told something different every time I call. They are rude and act as if I'm a fraud. One guy was telling me how beautiful I was in my ID pic which I thought was very unprofessional. when I call this past Monday on December 16th I was told that my driver's license had been verified they were still waiting for my social security card and my telephone bill to be verified.

I waited until Thursday, which was yesterday to call back and see if there was any progress or if they needed anything else. I spoke to someone that was actually trying to help me and he contacted someone in the verification department to see if there was anything else we could do to speed up the process. when he gets back on the line he tells me that they have stopped the verification process and my account is still restricted because I cannot verify that I am the owner of my phone number. I tell him that the whole reason I had to send in my identification in the first place is because that process was not working but they had the two forms of identification and they also have my phone bill to see that I was the owner. he cannot tell me why those are not enough verification or give me any information at all. he kept repeating himself and had no answers to my questions when I was trying to ask him things like why was I told to submit additional documentation.

I asked to speak to a supervisor. I'm on the phone for about an hour through this whole process the supervisor gets on the phone and she tells me that they cannot verify my driver's license because it is newly issued. first of all that's not what I was told by the person that I talked previously. Not at any time was I told a newly issued ID would not be excepted. I was being told something different once again and I explained for the hundredth time that I had to send in my social security card and proof of address is because it was a newly issued driver's license so why is there another hold up. she again tries to check the telephone numbers because I have three telephone numbers on my account that is not prepaid it is contracted so I don't know why they can't see that I'm the owner. I can see it when I look it up on Google. anyways she is telling me basically that I just have to wait. she can't give me a time frame at all. Could be next year is what she told me. so they are having me jump through all these hoops and send in all these documents that aren't working according to them so why did they have me send it in the first place.

I don't understand this process I don't understand why a government-issued driver's license front and back is not proof along with my social security card and my telephone bill. I can send in paycheck stubs I can verify my employment I can send in my insurance information car insurance or medical insurance I don't understand why nothing can be done and every person I talk to tells me something different every single time. I saw online that there are many others having this same issue. What else can I do to get this resolved???

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Capital one verification process

Hi @Anonymous and welcome to myFICO! welcome.gif

I've moved your thread to get your question more exposure, and I've also added some paragraph breaks to make the post easier to read.

--UB

Message 2 of 23
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Hi and welcome OP

It is awful that you’re going through this and I dont know the answer either but it could be several things.

So, if I were you, the first thing I would do is call my cell phone company and confirm that I am the primary owner on the account and that it just lists my name no matter what the bill states. Tell them that the CCC gets an error when trying to send a text. Confirm that this is not a prepaid or disposable type phone.

Second, you applied at the worst possible time—during holiday season—around Thanksgiving and now it’s Xmas. I am assuming that any CCC would be hyper vigilant during this the holidays because identity fraud is very real and quite rampant. It’s actually a good thing for the consumer that they’re taking extra precautions, albeit a PITA for you at this moment in time.

But kind of look at it from their viewpoint. They approved a card and 3 things in a row happened. The consumer cant receive a text via their cell phone. The consumer doesnt have a DL on-hand. The consumer’s SS card is unsigned. These are red flag problems for any algorithm system.

So the CSR may be correct. This may not get corrected until after the new year. There are a lot of applications this time of year and I believe yours just got caught up in the mess.

Yep, it’s a bummer but it’s just a part of life. Unfortunately, it got in the way of your holiday plans. So sorry.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I call my mobile phone provider and everything is correct. I am the owner and only one listed on the account. It is a 2 year contract and it's a published number. They have no idea why it can't be verified by Capital one. I even gave them my daughter's cell number to send the initial text to verify the back of my license. She has a contract phone through a different carrier and capital one again received an error message when they tried to send it. I do understand it's just protecting me as the consumer but they are extremely rude and refuse to help. I don't know is the answer and that should never be acceptable.
Message 4 of 23
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

OK. Who's the carrier? Is it one of the big ones--AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint. If a small one, that may be creating the problem.

Also, IMHO, too much has been going on. I believe by also introducing yet another cell number into the mix for a recently produced DL just sent the system's algorithm into overdrive. 

This is just my 2cents. Send a letter explaining everything in as concise a manner as possible (5-6 sentences max) and just forget about getting the Cap1 card this year. Or, since you feel Cap1 CS is extremely rude and wont help, this may be a neon flashing sign not to do any business with them and treat this as a lesson-learned to have all ducks in a row when applying for credit. IMHO, I believe this scenario could have happened with any lender during this time of year. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Verizon is my carrier and it was the capital one csr who requested I give them another phone number on a different account to try and send the verification link as a text. Also when I applied for the card I had my driver's license but I lost it the day before I received the card.
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm completely fine with having to submit my documents and my ident being verified. My problem is how unprofessional and rude some of the CSR have been. Also the fact that they have no idea what is going on or how long it will take. Being told that the restriction is being held up for a different reason every time I call.
Message 7 of 23
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Sorry about the issues. I hope it all works out.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 23
Tomatoshadow2
New Contributor

This happened to me, while I was in College, I didn't put that I had a different mailing address. I had to do everything you are doing, finally I was able to explain to a supervisor, who really listened. On what an honest mistake I had made, I was able to get my card unlocked.

Message 9 of 23
outofcredit
Established Contributor

Verizon had a nationwide outage on December 18, 2019.  There were many reports of users getting "circuits are busy" messages during that time.  This was reported on national news services.  Did you phone "verification" attempts happen on that date? Perhaps it was the reason why your phone couldn't be verified.  If you google Verizon outage there is documentation that there was a problem with Verizon that day.  You might try calling again to see if your phone can be verified now. YMMV.

Instead of waiting for the storm to pass, I've learned to dance in the rain.
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.