Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom 5% categories July-September Amazon.com and Whole Foods

tag
ChazzieT
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom 5% categories July-September Amazon.com and Whole Foods

@Anonymous wrote:

Not to get into the category hate discussion, but since when did we have to activate the 1% off???

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 8.14.34 AM.png

I initially though it was saying that as well, but that button activated the 5% category just like the one above it. The resulting page reminds you that the 1% is automatic.

Message 61 of 71
minski
Established Contributor

Thanks for this.

I actually spend an unfortunate (for me) amount at Amazon and this year I get 3 quarters of 5% casb back there. Yay?

Citi Dividend-->Chase Freedom-->Discover It
Message 62 of 71
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@minski wrote:
Thanks for this.

I actually spend an unfortunate (for me) amount at Amazon and this year I get 3 quarters of 5% casb back there. Yay?

If Amazon is a big spend, why not have a dedicated Amazon card so you don't rely on the issuer choosing it as a category!

Message 63 of 71
minski
Established Contributor

I did. I closed it in an attempt not to spend so much there. Due to COVID my spend increased.
Message 64 of 71
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@minski wrote:
Thanks for this.

If Amazon is a big spend, why not have a dedicated Amazon card so you don't rely on the issuer choosing it as a category!

I've considered an Amazon card, and my spend there has risen, but a few things hold me back:

1. A fairly high ratio of existing credit to easily-documented income with Amex and Chase...and a lack of interest in dealing with Synchrony.

2. 5/24

3. Little or no SUB

4. I usually have some alternative worth about 5%:

- WWFCR's 5.25%, though it's capped and my Costco spend uses some of the cap.

- Two Freedoms and a Discover.

- Amex offers for extra points or a discount when using at least one MR.

If I spread my spend a bit, I can more or less stay within existing bonus caps.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 65 of 71
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@minski wrote:
Thanks for this.

I've considered an Amazon card, and my spend there has risen, but a few things hold me back:

1. A fairly high ratio of existing credit to easily-documented income with Amex and Chase...and a lack of interest in dealing with Synchrony.

2. 5/24

3. Little or no SUB

It's not always Synchrony though.

Chase ($75 SUB):

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Prime-Rewards-Visa-Signature-Card/dp/BT00LN946S

Then AMEX has a business version ($125 SUB):

https://creditcard.americanexpress.com/amazon/?utm_mcid=3575152&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm...

Message 66 of 71
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@randomguy1 wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@minski wrote:
Thanks for this.

2. 5/24

3. Little or no SUB

It's not always Synchrony though.

Chase ($75 SUB):

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Prime-Rewards-Visa-Signature-Card/dp/BT00LN946S

Then AMEX has a business version ($125 SUB):

https://creditcard.americanexpress.com/amazon/?utm_mcid=3575152&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm...

I could request a CLD on one or more of my 5 Chase cards to free up room for new credit. I don't use them much.

I have higher balances in no-fee Plans with Amex and wouldn't want to do the same there...plus I'm at 5 revolvers already so adding 1 might mean I'd have to close 2 with the new cap of 4 revolvers in most cases.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 67 of 71
ChazzieT
Frequent Contributor

@randomguy1 wrote:

Take a look at the Affinity FCU Cash Rewards Visa and Hi5 program. The Hi5 stacks on top of the card (which gives 5% on all bookstores, including amazon, year round) and gives you an additional 5%, so during that quarter you get 10% back on amazon. They also give 2% on gas, groceries, and something else I can never remember. These stack to 7% during the right quarter.

I don't have a checking account with them, but I think the Hi5 program can be attached to your debit card for cash back.

You have to join the CU, but they have some other perqs as well. I joined up a couple of months back and will be apping for it to replace my Synchrony Amazon Prime card as soon as I get the US Bank Cash+.

Message 68 of 71
ChazzieT
Frequent Contributor

Just checked and I'm getting 2.0%  APR on the first $2500 in my Affinity savings account.

Message 69 of 71
ChazzieT
Frequent Contributor

And the card has a $200/$3000/90 day SUB at the moment.

(Don't apply till you have the Cash+, Don't apply till you have the Cash+, Don't apply till you have the Cash+, Don't apply till you have the Cash+, Don't apply till you have the Cash+, Don't apply till you have the Cash+, Don't apply till you have the Cash+...)

Message 70 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.