Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi MC New Offer - Worthless?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Citi MC New Offer - Worthless?

From an issuer's viewpoint, you have to consider just how much effort should be put in to targetting particular offers.  For something like this, a most basic check would be "Is the offered APR lower than the APR on the account?" and in this case, "Yes! (7 points for a whole six months, @Anonymous will be SOOO happy with this!" and there could be additional factors such as outstanding balance totals ("This guy might need a break") and overall scores.

Spending a lot of  analysis trying to guess if the offer will be attractive may not be that fruitful (your hit ratio may not significantly improve).  My surprise is that they expend mail costs on these, rather than spammer type email, but maybe it is worth it overall for them.

Message 11 of 14
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

I got the exact same mailer, same dates, but my offer was 1.99% (my standard rate is 11.56%), for what it's worth. Agreed on it being pretty useless.

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

From an issuer's viewpoint, you have to consider just how much effort should be put in to targetting particular offers.  For something like this, a most basic check would be "Is the offered APR lower than the APR on the account?" and in this case, "Yes! (7 points for a whole six months, @Anonymous will be SOOO happy with this!" and there could be additional factors such as outstanding balance totals ("This guy might need a break") and overall scores.

Spending a lot of  analysis trying to guess if the offer will be attractive may not be that fruitful (your hit ratio may not significantly improve).  My surprise is that they expend mail costs on these, rather than spammer type email, but maybe it is worth it overall for them.

To make matters worse, I did receive three of these each two days apart. If you want to talk about mailing costs LOL

Thanks

Mark

Message 13 of 14
NRB525
Super Contributor

Well, 15 years ago the Citi offers included Forever Rate low APR Balance Transfer rates, such as 2.99% or 3.99%. Yeah, my cards ended up getting closed when I maxed out the offers, but it was a decade before I paid them all off Smiley Happy 

I miss the Forever Rates. These 12 to 18 month BT rates are lame.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.