Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant gripes with individual lenders

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Constant gripes with individual lenders

So I thought about it and the way I see it, it's not like people are making these experiences up to slam a lender so I don't see anything wrong with it. For my part, I'm not changing my practice of informing others of potential issues with lenders, especially when it comes down to policies that provide a poor customer service experience. I believe it is important to have that information and appreciate it when others tell me about the issues they have had with lenders when I am seeking info as well. I'll keep it out of approvals though. 🤷‍♂️ 

Message 41 of 108
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I thought about it and the way I see it, it's not like people are making these experiences up to slam a lender so I don't see anything wrong with it. For my part, I'm not changing my practice of informing others of potential issues with lenders, especially when it comes down to policies that provide a poor customer service experience. I believe it is important to have that information and appreciate it when others tell me about the issues they have had with lenders when I am seeking info as well. I'll keep it out of approvals though. 🤷‍♂️ 

My guess is that there is a spectrum, and hopefully you are not at the end that Remedios is complaining about.  

What we do see here are "unfounded" complaints, where the individual feels wronged, but it is clear to the more experienced that things went as expected.   As a made up example on trailing interest "Those b******ds at Bank X charged me interest even though I paid this month in full a week before the due date!   STAY AWAY!!!!!!"   The user feels that the bank is being very unfair (Hey, I paid in full) and thinks it is shady so as a good citizen wants to warn people.   The rest of know that this is standard and many issuers will do just that.

Then there are justified complaints, but I guess Remedios's issue is whether they need to  be mentioned  in every thread that talks about Bank X (or at least those that mention Bank X positively).   If someone has "worked hard" to get a card from Bank X, and very probably will never run into the problem, getting that raised in the approval thread "Poor you, you are going to wish you never even heard of Bank X, mark my words" may feel inappropriate

"Worked hard" in quotes because, well, parachuting behind enemy lines as an Allied agent in Occupied France, that's working hard.   Gardening for a year, not so much!

Message 42 of 108
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Alright, let me elaborate further 

You like Capital One, and I do, too. They are relatively stable lender, you've had no issues with them, but let's say I get CLI denied. 

From that moment on, as soon as someone mentiones Cap One, I show up with "Oh they suck because they wouldnt give me CLI and they arent giving them to anyone", and if that's not good enough, I make a special mocking name for them. 

Example two, I ask for CLI, I feel like I should receive it. I dont because lender feels my DTI is too high, my income doesnt support my credit lines etc. From that moment on, as soon as someone mentions them, I go with "They are the worst" without really elaborating on why it was denied. I do it so many times I get summoned to threads when they are mentioned, because allegedly that's funny. 

Everything we hold against the lenders are almost universally known facts on how they conduct their business. 

When we talk to other people, we're all "That's just how it is, that's just how they are, get over it".

So it really stands to reason that when it affects us, "getting" over it should happen at some point, too. 

Warning someone not to apply for 10 Chase cards in one day is a great thing. 

Jumping in every thread that even remotely mentions Chase because I got denied years ago is misleading and self serving. 

Hope that helps

Message 43 of 108
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

Because they feel entitled to credit or believed the lenders "owe" them anything for paying "on time" and "being responsible". So when they do no receive what they think they are entitled to, they make sure others know their displeasure and are ready for the internet mob mentality with pitchforks  against the oppressors (the lenders). And considering the culture that many young people are growing up in (when they need to feel safe 24/7 and shy away from uncomfortableness and denial from others) it is going to get worse. 

Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 44 of 108
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Alright, let me elaborate further 

You like Capital One, and I do, too. They are relatively stable lender, you've had no issues with them, but let's say I get CLI denied. 

From that moment on, as soon as someone mentiones Cap One, I show up with "Oh they suck because they wouldnt give me CLI and they arent giving them to anyone", and if that's not good enough, I make a special mocking name for them. 

Example two, I ask for CLI, I feel like I should receive it. I dont because lender feels my DTI is too high, my income doesnt support my credit lines etc. From that moment on, as soon as someone mentions them, I go with "They are the worst" without really elaborating on why it was denied. I do it so many times I get summoned to threads when they are mentioned, because allegedly that's funny. 

Everything we hold against the lenders are almost universally known facts on how they conduct their business. 

When we talk to other people, we're all "That's just how it is, that's just how they are, get over it".

So it really stands to reason that when it affects us, "getting" over it should happen at some point, too. 

Warning someone not to apply for 10 Chase cards in one day is a great thing. 

Jumping in every thread that even remotely mentions Chase because I got denied years ago is misleading and self serving. 

Hope that helps

Yeah I don't warn people off for stuff like that. I warn people about verification processes and things like CLDs and closures because it has burned a number of us over time but I haven't carried on about all the places that have declined me credit unless commiserating about Disco CLIs counts. 

I am of the mind that being upset with lenders for not giving CLIs is a bit ridiculous and the same goes for most credit denials (they suck but life goes on). I do still believe that people have the right to feel that way and express it though. I appreciate people telling me "hey, that place is stingy with CLIs" or "just thought I would warn you that approval has to go through multiple departments and may take 30 days" or "be wary of their fraud department" or "be careful with too many apps when applying for their card so they don't close it" before I jump into a card app but it is kind of too late by the time I put up an approval thread. 

At the end of the day people are going to post what they want to post. It's the nature of the beast with forums. What may bother one person may be very useful to another. 

Message 45 of 108
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Whether one believes in community spirit or not, supporting each other whether it's by way of simply offering encouragement, relaying one's personal experience, providing data points, or even even answering the same questions time and again, is one of the primary reasons for these forums.

There are lots of people here who provide valuable data points on their approvals (and denials), and not everyone is looking for "congrats!" posts.  But that doesn't mean those approvals shouldn't be celebrated.  Many people here have worked very hard to build or rebuild.

+100

I am unsure why it would be annoying to have congratulated someone for their success. They could have been working hard towards it or whatever. Even if not, "Congrats!". 

What would be annoying if someone gave congrats to AA - denial, CLD, FR...*that* would be annoying.

I do love DPs too, so I hope this doesn't deter people to not share whether or not they want to be uplifted in their credit gains.

Who care if people like having their spirits lifted on the interwebs. Like I say, if you don't like it, keep on scrolling. It doesn't necessarily mean one has "little man syndrome" or whatever was mentioned up thread.

Regardless, I do not see an issue with people being forwarned about a company either. Not saying to bash ever chance given, but warning someone doesn't hurt. I was completely credit-niave before joining these forums and I am creeping towards 40! I didn't know left from right in the credit world and I appreciate any input from others, even if I may not like it. Does it make my decision wrong? Not necessarily. Does it help my expectations? Possibly.

Message 46 of 108
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I do still believe that people have the right to feel that way and express it though[...]before I jump into a card app but it is kind of too late by the time I put up an approval thread. 

At the end of the day people are going to post what they want to post. It's the nature of the beast with forums. What may bother one person may be very useful to another. 

You're talking about two different things with the first part. Some people do not even bother researching the lender/card they're looking to apply so when they get turned down for what they're trying to get will get upset and lash out. To do this in a section of the forums where they succeeded in their approval is pointless especially if the reason for their own denial was self-inflicted. In the right forums it can be beneficial as long as it's taken seriously

The second part I agree as long as it's constructive and contributes to the discussion. As the example she provided going out and saying "oh that sucks for you going with *insert card/bank here*" without providing any context does not help anybody. Add to that someone actively patrolling topics with the intent of spreading ill-will with no clarification is disingenuous at best and being a troll at worst

Message 47 of 108
Anonymous
Not applicable

@simplynoir wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I do still believe that people have the right to feel that way and express it though[...]before I jump into a card app but it is kind of too late by the time I put up an approval thread. 

You're talking about two different things with the first part. Some people do not even bother researching the lender/card they're looking to apply so when they get turned down for what they're trying to get will get upset and lash out. To do this in a section of the forums where they succeeded in their approval is pointless especially if the reason for their own denial was self-inflicted. In the right forums it can be beneficial as long as it's taken seriously

The second part I agree as long as it's constructive and contributes to the discussion. As the example she provided going out and saying "oh that sucks for you going with *insert card/bank here*" without providing any context does not help anybody. Add to that someone actively patrolling topics with the intent of spreading ill-will with no clarification is disingenuous at best and being a troll at worst

I suppose I could have broken the first paragraph into two. 

I agree that actively trolling needs to be put to rest but I haven't really seen many examples of that happening. You CLs and the mods do a good job of shutting that nonsense down quick. Maybe I'm just not reading as many threads as I used to. I don't spend much time in approvals now that I'm not actively seeking credit. 

I agree that posts without context don't benefit anybody. I'm just not really sure what can be done about it when those same people don't tend to participate in the forum as a whole anyway. 

Message 48 of 108
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

What's a slag? 

slag verb, informal -  To criticize.

And here I thought it came from weldingSmiley Tongue

Message 49 of 108
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

Lol @longtimelurker 

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 50 of 108
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.