Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Love AMEX Fraud Protection

tag
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

Love AMEX Fraud Protection

I was purchasing some custom golf clubs online for my hubby's birthday and was attempting to pay with my AMEX through paypal.  Purchase was DECLINED and I was confused.  Thought they had shut me down for a FR.

So I pulled up my account and saw that they had placed a fraud alert on my account.  So I called the number, answered a couple of security questions, and confirmed I was trying to make the purchase with Paypal.  Gotta love the protection.  I'm just glad I was home online and not in the store because I would have been so embarrassed had the card been declined. LOL.

She took the fraud alert off and told me I could make the purchase now.  I did just that and it went through fine.  Keep up the good work AMEX!

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Re: Love AMEX Fraud Protection

@MsLadyRover wrote:

I was purchasing some custom golf clubs online for my hubby's birthday and was attempting to pay with my AMEX through paypal.  Purchase was DECLINED and I was confused.  Thought they had shut me down for a FR.

So I pulled up my account and saw that they had placed a fraud alert on my account.  So I called the number, answered a couple of security questions, and confirmed I was trying to make the purchase with Paypal.  Gotta love the protection.  I'm just glad I was home online and not in the store because I would have been so embarrassed had the card been declined. LOL.

She took the fraud alert off and told me I could make the purchase now.  I did just that and it went through fine.  Keep up the good work AMEX!

Fine, but let us keep Amex love at appropriate levels.  AFAIK, EVERY single issuer does this.  I've had it from Cap One, Chase, Citi at least.

Message 2 of 12
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

SMH.

Message 3 of 12
jake619
Frequent Contributor

I think the point is she was protected. In this case Amex was credited. I don't think this is over the top Amex love.
Message 4 of 12
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

To me it's more of an annoyance when this happens, than an appreciation of protection.

Message 5 of 12
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

Thanks jake619. That's exactly what I was expressing.

Message 6 of 12
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@jake619 wrote:
I think the point is she was protected. In this case Amex was credited. I don't think this is over the top Amex love.

OK, but I was reacting to the title "Love AMEX Fraud Protection"

So can I post "Love Capital One's No Interest purchase!!!!"?  "I bought lots of things on my Cap One card, starting on Nov 2, I got the statement Nov 25, and paid in full Dec 15.  I didn't pay a penny in interest, that's over 45 days interest free for my first purchase.  Gotta love Cap One"!

But of course this is Amex so it's different....

Message 7 of 12
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

To me it's more of an annoyance when this happens, than an appreciation of protection.

I can understand that.  At the wrong time, it can be quite an inconvenience.  I'm sure I would have been very annoyed had I been in the store and it happened.
But it's nice to know that they are looking out for ya.

Message 8 of 12
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

@jake619 wrote:

OK, but I was reacting to the title "Love AMEX Fraud Protection"

So can I post "Love Capital One's No Interest purchase!!!!"?  "I bought lots of things on my Cap One card, starting on Nov 2, I got the statement Nov 25, and paid in full Dec 15.  I didn't pay a penny in interest, that's over 45 days interest free for my first purchase.  Gotta love Cap One"!

But of course this is Amex so it's different....

Not different at all.  People have said they love Capital One, they love Citibank, they love Discover...it's no different than me loving AMEX. 
I don't see what the big deal is.

Message 9 of 12
jake619
Frequent Contributor

Annoyance comes in degrees. I could argue a fraudulent charge is more annoying than what happened here.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.