Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major Changes to AMEX Delta Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Delta Platinum AMEX Refresh

@Anonymous wrote:

I was already teetering on closing the Delta Gold. While a $4 increase on the AF isn't significant enough to call foul in iteself, the lost benefits are. Again while I've never had the chance to make use of the Lounge, I probably would have if it worked out in my travels. IMO it's a loss for a Gold Card to lose lounge access. The extra mile for dining and supermakets is useless for those who already get 4X on Gold.

It definitely seals the deal for me to close it to maek room for a card that does work for me.

I never used gold's lounge access neither, I don't know how fancy delta lounge is, but its not fancy enough for me to spend 29. I will just use my basic CSR lounge, thanks. Smiley Very Happy

It feels as if they are encouraging people to either go basic (blue), or go top (reserve). Things in between, especially gold, is on the highway to the grave.

Message 31 of 169
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@redpat wrote:

Amex gold is 4x, why would you use Reserve?

See K's post about MQD's with Reserve.

The use case for the Reserve card is not so much earning miles per dollar as it is the status upgrades from high spend.

Message 32 of 169
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Major Changes to AMEX Delta Cards

@Anonymous wrote:
Pay with miles available on blue! No ftf on blue!

I'm downgrading to blue for sure next Feb.

I know pay with miles often isn't the best option, but at least having the ability with a no-AF card is nice, indeed.

Message 33 of 169
Anonymous
Not applicable

It looks like I'll be upgrading to the Platium to maintain Skyclub access.  The question is should I wait until I've paid the AF on my Gold then just do a lateral upgrade, or apply for the Platinum separately then cancel the Gold?  Would I be eligible for the singup bonus miles on the Platium if I already received the signup bonus on the Gold?  I can't remember if it's once per individual card or for the entire family of cards.  

G

Message 34 of 169
VPExecutive
Frequent Contributor

Delta points are more worthless than any other airline's yet, they offer a pathetic 2x on Delta purchases, 2x on dining, and 1x everywhere else (blue) and add a 2x dining category on the gold - both remain useless for frequent Delta travel.  

The Plat gets a pointless AF increase from $195 to $250 simply for adding a couple of multiplier categories on worthless Skypesos. 

The Green adds Centurion access which is nice... I guess that's the result of an improved Delta/AMEX relationship, but the increase in annual fee makes the Platinum card worth more than the Green IMO. 

Typical Delta. 

Message 35 of 169
redpat
Senior Contributor

I'm still trying to understand if someone has the card and also holds plat that they are considering cancelling their plat card over $100 additional AF when the companion tick more than covers the cost.  I look at this card as an advanced discount ticket purchase not an AF.  I figure that I have to subtract $100 - $150 from the perks that I get from my individual plat since the gift card fiasco.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 36 of 169
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I was already teetering on closing the Delta Gold. While a $4 increase on the AF isn't significant enough to call foul in iteself, the lost benefits are. Again while I've never had the chance to make use of the Lounge, I probably would have if it worked out in my travels. IMO it's a loss for a Gold Card to lose lounge access. The extra mile for dining and supermakets is useless for those who already get 4X on Gold.

It definitely seals the deal for me to close it to maek room for a card that does work for me.

I never used gold's lounge access neither, I don't know how fancy delta lounge is, but its not fancy enough for me to spend 29. I will just use my basic CSR lounge, thanks. Smiley Very Happy

It feels as if they are encouraging people to either go basic (blue), or go top (reserve). Things in between, especially gold, is on the highway to the grave.

Hmm I don't understand that at all. To me the Gold is the best. Waived annual fee the first year and 70k sign up points.  Don't understand the point of the Platinum at all.  You don't get a lessor sign up bonus and you get a huge $250 annual fee that doesn't waive the first year. The only thing else you get is a domestic companion pass which I would never use as I don't live near a Delta hub.    

To me the Gold is by far the best choice.  

Message 37 of 169
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hmm I don't understand that at all. To me the Gold is the best. Waived annual fee the first year and 70k sign up points.  Don't understand the point of the Platinum at all.  You don't get a lessor sign up bonus and you get a huge $250 annual fee that doesn't waive the first year. The only thing else you get is a domestic companion pass which I would never use as I don't live near a Delta hub.    

To me the Gold is by far the best choice.  

If you're chasing SUBs, sure, but not long term.

I know... I was just chasing SUBs and I got the personal and business Delta gold cards and got 120K miles in SUBs for nothing.  Didn't bother with the plats.  Pretty sweet deal.  But neither were keeper cards for me, and it seems they won't be good keeper cards for anyone else either.

The long term use case for these cards is for frequent Delta flyers who are chasing status, upgrades, and perks rather than just miles per dollar.

If you're looking to just earn miles on spend, get an Amex Gold charge card and forget the cobranded cards.

Message 38 of 169
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hmm I don't understand that at all. To me the Gold is the best.
The only thing else you get is a domestic companion pass
which I would never use as I don't live near a Delta hub.    

You just answered your own question. 

For people like me, who use the companion certificate, this is essentially free money.

Me with Platinum: Pay $250. Fly $600. $350 Savings

Me with Gold: Pay $100. Fly $600. $700 Lost.

Even if I do not get a companion pass the first year, Platinum will still give me $100 value in the second year. It is paying me, essentially. For me, Gold is pointless, because it returns me nothing. Platinum not only pays for itself but also gives me a very measurable return. Mostly, I do not even use it for anything else. I do use the lounge perk, but that's another story.

@Anonymous wrote:  as I don't live near a Delta hub. 

You don't need to live in a Delta hub to use this.

Message 39 of 169
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It looks like I'll be upgrading to the Platium to maintain Skyclub access.  The question is should I wait until I've paid the AF on my Gold then just do a lateral upgrade, or apply for the Platinum separately then cancel the Gold?  Would I be eligible for the singup bonus miles on the Platium if I already received the signup bonus on the Gold?  I can't remember if it's once per individual card or for the entire family of cards.  

G

Gold an Plat SUB are seperate.

If I were you, I'd app the Plat for the SUB. As you wouldn't likely get an equivalent SUB on an upgrade. Then cancel the Gold, because if you cancel before the Plat app it may exclude you from receiving said SUB. YMMV

If you want to lower the amount of the Plats AF, you should upgrade on the 10th month from when you were billed on the Gold. As they'll prorate the AF. So you'll have to consider what's worth more to you, the Plat SUB or a lower AF for an upgrade.

Message 40 of 169
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.