Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marvel card should I apply ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Marvel card should I apply ?

@Justagirl73 wrote:

I recently closed mine with a modest 5k limit (one cli of 1k, which is all I asked for). I simply out grew the card, didn't have any issues, including with the apr bc I pif. 

How long after opening did you request the CLI?

Message 21 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love my Marvel card, I don't ever use the marvel website discounts.

I use the 3% almost daily, and use it for my 1% spend as well... I have the 15.49% APR, which is my lowest APR on any card...

I love that the cash back is given monthly as a statement credit.
Message 22 of 36
Appleman
Valued Contributor

I believe I called after the first statement cut. I was going a bit crazy with Synchrony and they took all three of my cards to $25K with a phone (seperate) call (Amazon, Lowe's & Marvel).

Message 23 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called earlier this evening and got denied with a TU 711.. No Synch love for me I guess.

Message 24 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Justagirl73 wrote:

I recently closed mine with a modest 5k limit (one cli of 1k, which is all I asked for). I simply out grew the card, didn't have any issues, including with the apr bc I pif. 

How long after opening did you request the CLI?

After the second statement cut....I used the card every month. 

Message 25 of 36
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's the bookstore/newsstand cash back that really caught my eye, as I'm a distinct bibilophile (heh - I have a real storage issue with books just now in my little apartment!) and put this card on my list for consideration once I get out of the garden (bearing in mind the well-known issues with Synchrony/Comenity cards which impel one to take care when applying for more of those). I'm wondering if the 2% cash back will kick in when purchasing books from online sources such as Amazon and Overstock?

From my understanding and interpretation, anything with category rates it all depends on the MCC (Merchant Category Code) on how you earn the reward at what particular rate. So Amazon may not get you the book cashback rate, whereas Barnes and Noble probably would, etc..

Same difference if you went to Target and bought groceries, the merchant code is most likely Department Stores rather than a Grocery Store code.

I don't have the card but would be amazed if (most) purchases from Amazon didn't count.   They did/do for cards that offered 5% off bookstores, such as Cash + and Forward (before the nerf).

Message 26 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only use the card for the 3%. I put all of my. monthly entertainment subscription like Netflix Hulu etc Also use it for dining and movies. It's a great card imo I only wish you could have multiple designs of the card like with Discover but it's a minor issue
Message 27 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also would never be ashamed to pull out the card. It's a conversation started. I've had several people comment on how "cool" the card was
Message 28 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@peghede wrote:

Stay away from Marvel card from Synchrony R.I.P

You've Been Warned

@I have to echo @kugel. What specific reasons do you have for warning about this card? We've often talked about how Synchrony store cards have their problems, particularly if you have too many of them (though "too many" can be a subjective factor) and/or you don't regularly use them and/or your CL's are way high on a lot of them, but this is an actual (co-branded) MasterCard. The word of mouth on this thread seems to be mainly positive (with caveats) so far. That being said, it's true that there are better MC's out there, but they're usually prime/premium cards.

P.S. I'd be interested to know the scores at which people got originally approved for this card and who Synchrony pulled in their app review. I'm hoping to have gotten all three of my FICO 8 scores into the upper 600's by this fall at the end of the current gardening phase so I'd be interested to know if that'd be enough.

Message 29 of 36
capnsloya
Regular Contributor

Hey joe8185,
At the time of applying, I got approved with a 715 score. They pulled my TransUnion report with only 6 months AAOA
Current Cards

FICO Score 8's as of June 2024

Inquiries as of June 2024
Message 30 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.