Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off With Their Heads!!!

tag
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

Off With Their Heads!!!

**This post is from AUG 2021; I've updated my progress on page 11 as of OCT 2022**

So I have a lot of cards and that's never been an issue (other than continuing to get more cards Smiley LOL), yet in the last few months I've decided it's time to start thinning the herd. I'm pretty blessed with the reward structures I have on my cards and am ready to part ways with the cards that no longer have a relevant spot in my lineup. 

In the last 3 months I've closed out:

• $15,000 PNC Cash Rewards (it was a FOTM add-on, but I have higher earning cards)
  • $6,500 HSBC Cash Rewards (it was a FOTM add-on, 3% for 1 year)
  • $20,000 BECU Cash (have higher earning cards)
  • $9,000 BB&T Cash Rewards (it was a FOTM add-on, but not a relevant addition)
  • $2,500 Wells Fargo Business Cash Rewards (on of my first business cards, but I've outgrown it)
  • $10,000 Amex Blue Business Plus (moved away from MR to cash back)

A couple of years ago you could convince me to break one of my arms faster than closing an account Smiley Surprised. With these closures I now sit at $622,700 in credit over 31 cards and I'm going to keep chipping away. Some cards are earning me solid rewards, and of course structures are always subject to change, but they've proven useful. I think I'm going to gut some more. I have plans to add 1 more card in a few months (chase ink business cash 5%) and then I think I'll have the top-earning card for my regular spending categories that's out there today.

Who's on the chopping block?

• $5,000 USAA Rewards (served me well in the rebuild, but no longer use it)
  • $5,000 PenFed Platinum Rewards (served me well in the rebuild, but no longer use it)
  • $10,600 Bonvoy Bold (duplicate since I have bonvoy brilliant and bonvoy business)NOW CLOSED
  • $15,000 Fifth-Third Trio (have higher earning cards) -- NOW CLOSED

Cards structurally locked in my lineup:

• 10% shell rebates - Citi Shell MC
  • 6% groceries and streaming bills - Amex BCP
  • 5% travel/dining - Citi Prestige -- CONVERTED TO PREMIER 
  • 5% travel - Greenstate Cash Rewards  -- NOW CLOSED
  • 5% gas stations - USAA Cashback Amex
  • 5% amazon - Chase AmazonPrime
  • 5% bestbuy - Citi BestBuy V
  • 5% monthly bills - PCM Cash MC
  • 5% utilities - USB Cash+
  • 5% Rotating - Chase Freedom Flex -- CONVERTED TO CSP
  • 5% Rotating - Discover IT -- NOW CLOSED
  • 5% Rotating - Citi Dividend -- CONVERTED TO CUSTOM CASH
  • 5% Macy's - Macy's Platinum Amex
  • 4% dining - USB Go -- CONVERTED TO 2ND CASH+ SINCE ORIGINAL POST
  • 3% Online Shopping - BofA Cash Rewards -- CLOSED 1
  • 3% Retail Shopping - Synovus Cash Rewards -- NOW CLOSED
  • 3% nordstroms - Nordy's VS
  • 2.5% catch all - USAA Limitless
  • 2% catch all - Navy Flagship/FNBO Cash Rewards 

I went from "if you give it to me, I'll take it, and if you don't want to I'm still applying for it!" to "well do I really need it?", which is blowing my mind Smiley Indifferent I think its the gardening effect. I had not made any attempts to be in the garden for the first 4-5 years of my rebuild - getting approved for new things really is like crack Smiley LOL (and for clarity, I am metaphorically speaking). About 18 months ago I decided the one remaining card I wanted is out of reach because 5/24, so it was time to garden. I've still scratched the itch, picking up 3 new cards in the last 18 months, and only because each of those were 5% earners, but that was it. Now, I almost feel guilty even thinking about applying for something new lol Smiley LOL

We all have our own journey, and looks like mine just said "alright buddy, it was a good adventure..." Discovering this site helped me take the first steps to getting my credit back under control and on the right path. I say THANK YOU for everything and all the kind folks I've stumbled across over the years on here. I've learned so much and can't say thanks enough. Who knows, after I hopefully get my ink card some new ones will be out and I'll be all over them, but for now, off with their heads! 

Message 1 of 144
143 REPLIES 143
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Off With Their Heads!!!

Nice job there  @credit_is_crack  . Always been interesting on your journey. I want to cut back too but need to wait til i get my debt better in control but with Covid, debt, life, i find fighting for every inch for a credit card or rewards just doesnt hold weight with me right now. I just want to keep it simple and despite having 2% cb cards i choose to now give all my spend to Navy Federal who have taken care of me better than any other lender. Lol, even with low spend ive managed to rack up 62 bucks cb since my 5% cb special from Navy. We each must do whats best for our lives and no matter where i stand  in credit these coming days, know the juice has been worth the squeeze. Stay well and enjoy having the blessing to be able to reduce sanz effectsSmiley Happy. Cheers AJC

Message 2 of 144
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit it's been a good while since I've seen you (I've been very MIA, gardening is not easy when I'm on here seeing all the success stories). You're right though, since the pandemic I've had this craving for simplicity as well. Just use a couple cards, buy some junk and be on my way lol 

Of course there's great value in maxing out rewards, but it does also take some effort. Let's see how this all plays out 

Message 3 of 144
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@credit_is_crack 

You give me inspiration, I really really need to do this as well........................

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 144
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

@credit_is_crack   Good for you.  Whew, I don't see how you manage so many. I've been a little more stream-lined in my approach, but you know you have ONE card I'm extremely jealous of....lol.

By the way, is Greenstate FCU in the Co-Op system? 

And you're going to give up the grandfathered Citi Dividend?  Not worth the categories anymore?

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 5 of 144
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

@credit_is_crack 

You give me inspiration, I really really need to do this as well........................

@Jnbmom it feels like a good time to clean house..

Message 6 of 144
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

@Taurus22 wrote:

@credit_is_crack   Good for you.  Whew, I don't see how you manage so many. I've been a little more stream-lined in my approach, but you know you have ONE card I'm extremely jealous of....lol.

By the way, is Greenstate FCU in the Co-Op system? 

And you're going to give up the grandfathered Citi Dividend?  Not worth the categories anymore?

@Taurus22 lol for Greenstate they are in the co-op group. The Dividend is a solid card (I like the fact that you can spend the annual bonus budget in a single quarter to max it out instead of $75 per quarter, but the redemption is $50 so that sucks). Both my Dividend and Discover are flirting with danger. They are good, but I have cards now that cover most of their rotating categories year round, so my need to roll it in for a bonus is no longer there. The one category that Discover (and Freedom) still have that my other cards don't cover (at 5%) is PayPal, which I also use often so with that option they are one step above my dividend (a small step though).

Message 7 of 144
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the slight downsizing. It's nice when you actually love all your cards. I have an amex bce that was on the chopping block but with citi taking their sweet time to product change to custom cash, I have to stay with it.

Message 8 of 144
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on the slight downsizing. It's nice when you actually love all your cards. I have an amex bce that was on the chopping block but with citi taking their sweet time to product change to custom cash, I have to stay with it.

It's taken years to get my lineup where it's at (very cash rewards focused, most folks are MR/UR/TY points driven). I hear they're starting to open up about PC's so maybe soon! After I posted this I actually reached out to Citi chat to check on the Dividend to Customer PC and they said I don't have the offer. Maybe at some point they will but I won't sweat it. 

They're always sending me the "convert to citi rewards+" emails and flyers, at least once a week, every week, so figured it would be an option, but not today. I still got a couple months before I blast thru my BCP $6k so maybe by then they'll let me do it

Message 9 of 144
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

@credit_is_crack I had to do a double take as I thought my eyes where deceiving me lol! I could see your collection was thining out. Congrats on trimming the herd. When your profile graduates to that point where you can do without a few cards you know you have done something right. 😉

Did you ever get into the millionaire club?

Starting FICO08 Scores 2016 All in the mid 500’s
Current FICO08 Scores SEP 2023 (TU 834) (EQ 831 (EXP 831)

“The credit is no longer bruised, it has endured the test of time” (formally know as bruisedcredit)

Message 10 of 144
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.