Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Per DoC Citi DC “points” transfer to TYP

tag
Caught750
Valued Contributor

Re: Per DoC Citi DC “points” transfer to TYP

You still can, I just did it like 2 weeks ago
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 31 of 121
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@redpat wrote:

@ToxikPH wrote:
The R+ already earns TYP, I think it’s like chase where it’s cash back normally but paired with a better card it turns into transferable TYP

Sorry about that you are right.  I haven't used TY points system in years.  

As discussed earlier in this thread, Citi has a history of restricting how certain TYs (like those from deposit promotions) can be used, even when someone has a Premier or Prestige. It's not as simple as being "like Chase".

Am I saying there is no way DC "points" can become airline miles or be redeemed at 1.25 cpp (2.5% travel cash) with Premier? No. A lot is still unknown. I'm just saying the history of TY is not encouraging.

Also, Citi reps aren't the most reliable, so I wouldn't put much stock in any unofficial info in the first place.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 32 of 121
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@redpat wrote:

@ToxikPH wrote:
The R+ already earns TYP, I think it’s like chase where it’s cash back normally but paired with a better card it turns into transferable TYP

As discussed earlier in this thread, Citi has a history of restricting how certain TYs (like those from deposit promotions) can be used, even when someone has a Premier or Prestige. It's not as simple as being "like Chase".

Am I saying there is no way DC "points" can become airline miles or be redeemed at 1.25 cpp (2.5% travel cash) with Premier? No. A lot is still unknown. I'm just saying the history of TY is not encouraging.

Also, Citi reps aren't the most reliable, so I wouldn't put much stock in any unofficial info in the first place.

I found it difficult to believe they turn DC CB into TYP and then forbit that TYP to be transferred to airlines.

Can you imagine a situation where a DC TYP is not airline-transferrable? lol

Message 33 of 121
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

I've been able to realize 1.5 cents in value from Thankyou points, so if this goes through, and the transfer ratio is 1:1, my DoubleCash card will have been converted from a 2% card to a 3% card.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 34 of 121
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@redpat wrote:

@ToxikPH wrote:

I found it difficult to believe they turn DC CB into TYP and then forbit that TYP to be transferred to airlines.

I think the point is that if you don't have a "premium" level TY card you cannot transfer the points to airline partners. Even if this all comes to pass, and you can convert DC cash to TY points, it seems likely you will still need the Premier or Prestige (and pay the associated AF) to actually transfer to travel partners.

Message 35 of 121
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@redpat wrote:

@ToxikPH wrote:

I think the point is that if you don't have a "premium" level TY card you cannot transfer the points to airline partners. Even if this all comes to pass, and you can convert DC cash to TY points, it seems likely you will still need the Premier or Prestige (and pay the associated AF) to actually transfer to travel partners.

If my post was unclear, I suggest you read posts 11 and 18 of this thread.

It's possible I'm mistaken (and that SUB and ongoing TYs from deposit/banking/brokerage sources actually are transferable to airlines if someone has a Premier or Prestige). Hopefully someone with relevant experience can weigh in, rather than me who only had gotten cash banking SUBs from Citi.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 36 of 121
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@redpat wrote:

@ToxikPH wrote:

If my post was unclear, I suggest you read posts 11 and 18 of this thread.

It's possible I'm mistaken (and that SUB and ongoing TYs from deposit/banking/brokerage sources actually are transferable to airlines if someone has a Premier or Prestige). Hopefully someone with relevant experience can weigh in, rather than me who only had gotten cash banking SUBs from Citi.

One thing I have not attempted or explored is the ability to transfer TYP between your own accounts so I don't know if that is a supported feature, or if it is, if there for example a yearly cap on the number of TYP you can transfer to yourself.  By default, each account/card has its own TYP pool.

One thing you can do is to call in and request that the pools be joined into a single TYP pool directly associated with the Premier/Restige.    The TYP program is managed by a different group within Citi so a regular CSR cannot do the join but they can transfer you to a CSR who can do it and it takes like 3 minutes.   This even works if one of the cards is managed by Citi Retail Services, in my case a TYP-earning Sears Mastercard.   Like the R+, a TYP-earning Sears Mastercard grants access to the Citi travel portal but does not allow TYP to be transferred to partner program. 

After the pools are joined all additional TYP earned by any account/card that was joined will also be deposited into that shared pool.  You can see and access the TYP from any of the associated accounts but IIRC only the account(s) associated with a card that has full access rights can still transfer the TYP out.

One caveat here is that you have to be sure to get everything unwound correctly before cancelling a Premier/Prestige.   Also, I'm too lazy to check right now but IIRC they still do track the source of each TYP because different cards have different expiry policies for TYP earned.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 37 of 121
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Just to piggyback on the last post, my Rewards+ and Premier accounts dump into the same TYP account.  I actually haven't used my Rewards+ account a single time since doing the PC shortly after the card came out, but I'm curious as to whether in addition to getting the 1.25 cents through the travel portal if I will also get the 10% rebate back in points bringing it to 1.375 effective.  Since I only use my Premier card for purchases where I'm going to get outsized rewards over other cards anyway (or for paying parking in machines that won't physically accept my CSR due to its thickness), that would be a nice bonus.

I know the TYP partners aren't as popular as those in other programs, but as a Delta/SkyTeam person I know that there is some great value to be had through transfers to Virgin Atlantic and Air France/KLM, who not only are TYP partners but partners with every major points program.  Without even going into premium cabin international travel, Delta award bookings through Virgin for direct flights within the US can be really nice redemptions, for example.

If it holds true that DC will transfer 1:1, I may consider grabbing my own Double Cash (assuming AU accounts won't be able to transfer) or possibly product changing my Rewards+ to DC in the future.

Message 38 of 121
ToxikPH
Established Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

If it holds true that DC will transfer 1:1, I may consider grabbing my own Double Cash (assuming AU accounts won't be able to transfer) or possibly product changing my Rewards+ to DC in the future.

Personally I don't see much value in the R+ card, it seems to hold a weird spot in the TYP program. If it's true that the DC can soon transfer to be points than I really don't see the point in the R+.

Message 39 of 121
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Given Citi's history I am finding it a little hard to believe the ratio will be 1:1. It would make the Rewards+ and the AT&T Access card pretty much worthless since those only earn 1 base point per dollar and the DC would effectively be 2 TYP on every transaction. It would also make it so that there would never be any reason to use a Premier or Prestige for non bonus spend (which no one around here would anyway, but in the real world I'm sure people do). It seems odd Citi would basically render many of their products obsolete. As it is, cards like the AT&T Access and Rewards+ are only a so-so value proposition compared with the Double Cash.

If they do make it 1:1 as seems to be what they are saying, I would expect you won't be able to transfer without holding a premium level card and I would also expect, again given their history, they will nerf it within a year or two. But hopefully I am wrong. Competition is a good thing and it would be good to see Citi actually trying for the first time in awhile.

Message 40 of 121
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.