Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possibly cancelling Amex gold

tag
W261w261
Frequent Contributor

Re: Possibly cancelling Amex gold

So unfortunately I don't even know what fences need to be mended }

Yeah, that's the way it is these days in Creditville.  Amex for sure, but most of the rest of them too.  Not too long ago, I looked and saw a bunch of preapprovals on the Amex site.  I hit apply for the Blue Cash Preferred and was approved.  Then, in small print in one of the many pages of forms they wanted me to ok, I saw a credit limit that was too small.  Piqued, I called up customer service and canceled the whole process.  The next day, it occurred to me that I could take some of the CL from my Delta Reserve (which I hardly use these days except for the lounge access and the phone insurance) and transfer it over to the BCP.  After confirming with the CSR that I could do that, he asked it I wanted to get the card back.  I said "sure."   DENIED.  How mean-spirited! Meantime, all the preapprovals disappeared from the site.  Who knows what it now has planned for my other Amex cards which I mostly PIF.  (Mod cut - these types of comments/discussions are prohibited per the myFICO Forums TOS).

Message 31 of 35
jcooks
Established Contributor

@W261w261 wrote:

Yeah, that's the way it is these days in Creditville.  Amex for sure, but most of the rest of them too.  Not too long ago, I looked and saw a bunch of preapprovals on the Amex site.  I hit apply for the Blue Cash Preferred and was approved.  Then, in small print in one of the many pages of forms they wanted me to ok, I saw a credit limit that was too small.  Piqued, I called up customer service and canceled the whole process.  The next day, it occurred to me that I could take some of the CL from my Delta Reserve (which I hardly use these days except for the lounge access and the phone insurance) and transfer it over to the BCP.  After confirming with the CSR that I could do that, he asked it I wanted to get the card back.  I said "sure."   DENIED.  How mean-spirited! Meantime, all the preapprovals disappeared from the site.  Who knows what it now has planned for my other Amex cards which I mostly PIF.  (Mod cut - these types of comments/discussions are prohibited per the myFICO Forums TOS).

I would definitely keep an eye out for your other Amex accounts as they could potentially close your other accounts.  Closing a card before a year is defintely something that is not recommended.  

Message 32 of 35
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@jcooks wrote:

@W261w261 wrote:

I would definitely keep an eye out for your other Amex accounts as they could potentially close your other accounts.  Closing a card before a year is defintely something that is not recommended.  

Has that happened to anyone here? I've heard of SUB clawbacks and (at least temporary) future SUB ineligiblity, but not Amex targeting other accounts in good standing.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 33 of 35
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@W261w261 wrote:

You burned Amex multiple times, and in at least in one of your posts you referred to it as "good times" 

As far as your last comment, I really don't know what possessed you to even go there and to think that somehow genocide, credit cards, and Amex make for a good joke. 

Perhaps skipping those three beers you mentioned (prior to edit) before typing would help.

Message 34 of 35
W261w261
Frequent Contributor

As a postscript to the above, after a couple of weeks, I was back at pre-approved for the BCP. In the meantime, I had gotten the Navy More Rewards, which doesn't give back quite as much but also has no AF. After mulling things over, I decided to get the BCP anyway, spend for the SUB, and then see how it fits. I should have remembered that you are only eligible for a Sub on a particular card once, but I forgot, hit "Apply," and up popped the "No SUB for you because you've had the offer on the card before" box. CSR was pleasant as always but a firm "no" when I explained the events. Hoisted on my own petard. 

Message 35 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.