Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ONLY Card You'll Ever Need !!

tag
onstar
Established Contributor

Re: The ONLY Card You'll Ever Need !!

@ScoreOrBeScored wrote:

Like I said........ People will be forever @swiping cards. Please don't think for one minute on October 1st @ 5am , inserting a card into the reader will 

be the only way to use a card. NO !! We will still be swiping in the middle of 2016. Sorry to bust your bubble 

I highly doubt that. Probably by 2020, swiping will no more.

Once the liability shifts to the merchant, you won't be seeing the swipe only machines for much longer.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 61 of 85
core
Valued Contributor

@ScoreOrBeScored wrote:
@Like I said........ People will be forever swiping cards. Please don't think for one minute on October 1st @ 5am , inserting a card into the reader will be the only way to use a card. NO !! We will still be swiping in the middle of 2016. Sorry to bust your bubble 

Oh, I do understand that.  October 1st may not be the end of the world but it will be not long after that.  Even so, I'm sure I'll be able to swipe my card (like I WANT TO) at Bob's Country Worm Stop well into 2017.  But if I can't use it where _I_ shop, what's the point?

You're not busting my bubble.  I have been an outspoken EMV hater since day 1 so I'm the last person that wants to see it... October 1st or otherwise.  I know you spent a lot of money on this device and now feel the need to defend it and/or justify the purchase.  Hey, I get it.

Message 62 of 85
ScoreOrBeScored
Valued Contributor

@core wrote:

@ScoreOrBeScored wrote:
@Like I said........ People will be forever swiping cards. Please don't think for one minute on October 1st @ 5am , inserting a card into the reader will be the only way to use a card. NO !! We will still be swiping in the middle of 2016. Sorry to bust your bubble 

Oh, I do understand that.  October 1st may not be the end of the world but it will be not long after that.  Even so, I'm sure I'll be able to swipe my card (like I WANT TO) at Bob's Country Worm Stop well into 2017.  But if I can't use it where _I_ shop, what's the point?

You're not busting my bubble.  I have been an outspoken EMV hater since day 1 so I'm the last person that wants to see it... October 1st or otherwise.  I know you spent a lot of money on this device and now feel the need to defend it and/or justify the purchase.  Hey, I get it.

Define a lot of money please. I don't consider $149 a lot of money. It may be to you but not me. I don't have to justify anything to anybody. I'm loving my

purchase ! 

Message 63 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

very cool!

Message 64 of 85
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I am one of the first to embrace technology but I do not have enough trust in e-wallet oriented technology.  I do not care of any convenience it adds (and to me it's minimal anyway).  With everything going cloud-based I'll happily keep using my physical cards.

Count me in. I do not trust inputting card information into my phone or an e-wallet etc.

Now for those like creditaddict with 95 cards I'm sure this is of huge benefit but if you're only carrying a small number, I think physical cards are just as easy

Yes but I found the biggest downside to my "Stratos" I got a new iPhone and while all my cards transferred with the app, it automatically removes ALL the information of them currently as a safety thing so I have to start over in the app and the card and swipe my cards back into it again (I have not done so yet!)

I have found the first time I go to use the card takes some time for the Bluetooth to sync up and if I'm not right with the cashier to grab the card back and smack it again I run into problems... otherwise once it's blue toothed for the day those issues stop... restaurant people many times will come back and ask if it's a visa or not... I'm like just swipe it and don't worry! I have yet to have anyone refuse it or ask me for another card.

Message 65 of 85
ScoreOrBeScored
Valued Contributor

CA, lol..... I know that's right.. Don't ask me questions, just swipe the dang in card. Lol too funny..

hate  you have to go thru all the reswipping of all your cards etc. 

Message 66 of 85
core
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:
restaurant people many times will come back and ask if it's a visa or not... I'm like just swipe it and don't worry!

That may not always be possible for them.  The other day I was in the True Value and the cashier was confused about my mixtape Discover card.  The computer screen was facing where I could see it, and she had to press the Discover button on the screen first before she could swipe anything.  "Swipe it and don't worry" just wasn't an option for that system.

Message 67 of 85
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@core wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:
restaurant people many times will come back and ask if it's a visa or not... I'm like just swipe it and don't worry!

That may not always be possible for them.  The other day I was in the True Value and the cashier was confused about my mixtape Discover card.  The computer screen was facing where I could see it, and she had to press the Discover button on the screen first before she could swipe anything.  "Swipe it and don't worry" just wasn't an option for that system.

I should clarify if they ask me, I tell them what kind of card it is... then I had one that was like but it doesn't show visa, That's when I was like "It's visa, you just give it a try and if it doesn't work than we can talk!

Message 68 of 85
newhis
Valued Contributor

Yeah is cool, but it doesn't have a chip, so it is not possible to be used on a chip reader terminal. Let's see what the update is about.

Message 69 of 85
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@onstar wrote:

There are at least 4 other players in the smart credit card space:

Coin

Plastc

Stratos

Swyp

3 out of the above 4 (excluding Coin) say that they will be able to do EMV, so I'm sure that Wocket will be able to also.

Also, Plastc does not require you to have your phone with you. It will work just fine without your phone. You can do more with the app on your phone, but it is not required. So if your battery runs out, it will still work.

On EMV, Plastc says:

1. How is Plastc compatible with EMV cards?

We will have an EMV card reader that will transfer data from your EMV card to your Plastc Wallet. Plastc has a rewritable chip technology that will rewrite your Plastc Card based on whatever EMV card you select. When you insert your card into the reader, we will be adhering to PCI standards for storing and encryption when inputting your data onto the Wallet app, as well as transferring your data to your Plastc Card.

Sounds very like cloning!

Message 70 of 85
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.