cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

has anyone else had issues with Barclays?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

has anyone else had issues with Barclays?

Has anyone else had any Issues with Barclays reducing CL or shutting down account for new accounts after a Barclays approval? I have heard two different accounts and wants some feedback. I was approved for a Barclays cash forward card last month.

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: has anyone else had issues with Barclays?

Just type "Barclays CLD" and "Barclays closed" into the search bar here and you'll see tons of stories.

Barclays will do AA for many different reasons: too many new accounts, too high utilization, overexposure to credit limits, and sometimes just because your name came out of a hat they randomly pull.

Also this post doesn't belong in the "approvals" sub but in the main CC sub -- hopefully mods will move it.

Message 2 of 23
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Also, rumor has it doing a balance transfer then paying it off too quickly gets under their skin, too.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Has anyone else had any Issues with Barclays reducing CL or shutting down account for new accounts after a Barclays approval? I have heard two different accounts and wants some feedback. I was approved for a Barclays cash forward card last month.

Read the threads, you will be "enlightened". Hopefully you won't sleep with one eye opened for to long.

Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the minority, I imagine..But I have had only good news with them!
1st card...now at 7900$..
now have ring with a 5000 sl..
not one issue...2 years now.
Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
not one issue...2 years .

OP, I had the Ring and Cashforward. I closed them because I was sick and tired of checking my accounts 3 times a day. 

Whenever I saw that the wind was blowing weird, I would check my accounts. It's a known fact that Barclays sometimes decrease CL's and closes accounts if they don't like which way the wind is blowing.

Message 6 of 23
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
not one issue...2 years now.

You have heard ONLY good news. Really?

OP, I had the Ring and Cashforward. I closed them because I was sick and tired of checking my accounts 3 times a day. 

Whenever I saw that the wind was blowing weird, I would check my accounts. It's a known fact that Barclays sometimes decrease CL's and closes accounts if they don't like which way the wind is blowing.

I believe Julie wrote that she had only HAD good news with them,

I'm another in Julie's 'minority' - I've been with Barclays since 2012 and have only had positive experiences with them - generous auto CLIs with good usage, approvals for other Barclays cards, etc. But being a regular on MyFico I've certainly read bad things about Barclays - but never for wind direction, instead for things like too many new accounts, large decrease in credit score or large increase in utilization, things which are easy and prudent to avoid. And they've never had a problem with me paying off 0% BTs too quickly, I milk those suckers for every last day. Smiley Wink

Congrats on you Cashforward approval, Happyman. Just don't go crazy on an app spree and you'll be fine. I got my Cashforward last August, instead of any problems I got a $2k auto CLI earlier this year.

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also have never had problems.  In fact, I like them.  SP CLIs and APR reductions along with many very good BT offers that I have taken advantage of without issue.  We aren't in the minirity.  The vast majority of Barclays account holders never have any issues despite what some people believe.

Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am another happy Barclays cardholder.

I got my Barclays NFL Extra Points Visa July '16 as my fifth approval after starting to rebuild in May '16. I was then approved for the Barclays jetBlue Plus as my sixth card in Nov '16. Since then I got the Cap1 QS in Dec '16 the Chase Amazon Visa Sig in Feb '17, and the NFCU CashRewards Visa in Apr '17. (Yes, I am seriously in the garden now!) But haven't had any issues despite my three new cards post-Barclays. Let's hope it stays that way! Smiley Happy 

Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I am glad people like Barclays. Good luck to the ones who have no issues and those who like Barclays. I liked their cards as well. It was my choice to close them.

The OP asked a question if there are issues with Barclays reducing credit lines and shutting down accounts for opening new accounts after Barclays. The answer is yes, whether minority or majority, it does happen OP. For this reason and other reasons others have pointed out.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.