cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Unlock or Pull Equifax Report

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Can't Unlock or Pull Equifax Report

Starting December 21st I attempted to unlock all three of mt reports as I'm preparing to buy a new truck by year end.  I also subscribe to MyFico and knew what all my scores were.  I unlocked Transunion and Experian using their services but couldn't unlock Equifax.  It just threw and error and told me to call in.  I call in and after speaking to four different people who couldn't explain why I couldn't unlock it they put in a request and said it would be manaully unlocked within 24 hours.  I wait until the 26th to get preapprovals and both Navy Fed and PenFed tell me my Equifax report is frozen and to please unfreeze it.  Only it's not frozen. I attempt to pull it myself directly from Equifax and MyFico and they both give me an error.  I call Equifax and spend almost two hours on the phone again in which time they tell me they can see the report and it isn't frozen however I have it locked.  I explain I can't unlock and that they had put in a request to unlock it.  They basically tell me I had locked it back myself and they can't unlock it?!   So they said they would put in a request to have it unlocked and it could take up to 72 hours to do so.

 

Fast foward again to yesterday and I still can't pull my Equifax report.  Both Navy Fed and Penfed seem to think I have it frozen still and won't offer to pull my other reports. I go to the dealership and see if they can pull it and the first report they try of course is Equifax and they tell me it's frozen.  I call Equifax back and they apologize and basically tell me to have the banks pull Tranunion or Experian as there is nothing wrong on their end that they can see but that I will recieve a letter in 30 days explaining why?! It's like I'm in Equifax Hell and apparently can't buy a new vehicle as all the banks I prefer pull Equifax.  Sorry for the long post but has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Valued Contributor

Re: Can't Unlock or Pull Equifax Report

Yea, my Transunion service has also been unable to unlock my Equifax report- it used to, but the error began a couple of months ago and still occurs. And I have been unable to unlock through the EQ website (using TrustedID).  I have, however, been able to successfully lock / unlock EQ using their Lock & Alert service - perhaps you can sign up for and try that (if you haven't already)? It's a free service:

 

https://www.equifax.com/personal/products/credit/credit-lock-alert/

 

I hope it works, because I have no other suggestions besides filing a complaint against EQ through CFPB...

Personal Aphorism:
"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"


Starting FICO 8s | 09/06/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 07/01/2019: EX 741 ✦ EQ 727 ✦ TU 733
Current FICO 9s | 06/01/2019: EX 753 ✦ EQ 751 ✦ TU 732
Highest FICO-8 Ever | 10/2018: 780 [on dirty report]

2019 Goal Score | 780s


My AAOA: 2.7 years not incl. AU / 2.10 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 6.5 years not incl. AU / 8.5 years incl. AU
Report Status: Clean

Tending my Garden til 2/2021


Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 30
Frequent Contributor

Re: Can't Unlock or Pull Equifax Report


@thornback wrote:

Yea, my Transunion service has also been unable to unlock my Equifax report- the error began a couple of months ago and still occurs. I have been able to successfully lock / unlock EQ using their Lock & Alert service - perhaps you can sign up for and try that? It's a free service:

 

https://www.equifax.com/personal/products/credit/credit-lock-alert/

 

I hope it works, because I have no other suggestions besides filing a complaint against EQ through CFPB...


Thank you for your suggestion.  Unfortunately that was the service I was using to lock it and it just throws an error when I attempt to unlock it and tells me to call in.  When I call in they can't unlock it either.  I've used the Lock/Unlock several times this past year and never had an issue until now.

Message 3 of 30
Valued Contributor

Re: Can't Unlock or Pull Equifax Report

Sorry - I don't know what else you can do besides filing a complaint or keep calling them and escalating to management. Equifax is trash.
Personal Aphorism:
"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"


Starting FICO 8s | 09/06/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 07/01/2019: EX 741 ✦ EQ 727 ✦ TU 733
Current FICO 9s | 06/01/2019: EX 753 ✦ EQ 751 ✦ TU 732
Highest FICO-8 Ever | 10/2018: 780 [on dirty report]

2019 Goal Score | 780s


My AAOA: 2.7 years not incl. AU / 2.10 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 6.5 years not incl. AU / 8.5 years incl. AU
Report Status: Clean

Tending my Garden til 2/2021


Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 30
Valued Contributor

Re: Can't Unlock or Pull Equifax Report

I was having the same exact problem as tmr with TrustedID (service suppose to end 12/31/18) about 2 weeks ago, it just says "Your Equifax® credit report currently has an Unlock requested Please allow 48 hours to process your request.", still says that when I logged in just now. I then signed up for Lock&Alert and was able to lock/unlock with no issues, I just tried it again and it was instant, got both email and text confirmations.
Message 5 of 30
Valued Contributor

Re: Can't Unlock or Pull Equifax Report


@MakeItAMudLight wrote:

Starting December 21st I attempted to unlock all three of mt reports as I'm preparing to buy a new truck by year end.  I also subscribe to MyFico and knew what all my scores were.  I unlocked Transunion and Experian using their services but couldn't unlock Equifax.  It just threw and error and told me to call in.  I call in and after speaking to four different people who couldn't explain why I couldn't unlock it they put in a request and said it would be manaully unlocked within 24 hours.  I wait until the 26th to get preapprovals and both Navy Fed and PenFed tell me my Equifax report is frozen and to please unfreeze it.  Only it's not frozen. I attempt to pull it myself directly from Equifax and MyFico and they both give me an error.  I call Equifax and spend almost two hours on the phone again in which time they tell me they can see the report and it isn't frozen however I have it locked.  I explain I can't unlock and that they had put in a request to unlock it.  They basically tell me I had locked it back myself and they can't unlock it?!   So they said they would put in a request to have it unlocked and it could take up to 72 hours to do so.

 

Fast foward again to yesterday and I still can't pull my Equifax report.  Both Navy Fed and Penfed seem to think I have it frozen still and won't offer to pull my other reports. I go to the dealership and see if they can pull it and the first report they try of course is Equifax and they tell me it's frozen.  I call Equifax back and they apologize and basically tell me to have the banks pull Tranunion or Experian as there is nothing wrong on their end that they can see but that I will recieve a letter in 30 days explaining why?! It's like I'm in Equifax Hell and apparently can't buy a new vehicle as all the banks I prefer pull Equifax.  Sorry for the long post but has anyone ever seen anything like this?


 

Sign up for Equifax Lock & Alert.  Its a much better option and also available as a mobile app.  It will lock & unlock your Equifax reported even while TrustedID says you have an unlock pending.  You can even use the same login credentials you used for TrustedID.





Message 6 of 30
Valued Contributor

Re: Can't Unlock or Pull Equifax Report

Maize, OP said he was using Lock&Alert.
Message 7 of 30
Valued Contributor

Re: Can't Unlock or Pull Equifax Report


@MakeItAMudLight wrote:


Thank you for your suggestion.  Unfortunately that was the service I was using to lock it and it just throws an error when I attempt to unlock it and tells me to call in.  When I call in they can't unlock it either.  I've used the Lock/Unlock several times this past year and never had an issue until now.


I just noticed that there is a 'support' icon in the Lock & Alert mobile app -- did you try that option?  If it's technical support specific to the locking / unlocking feature, perhaps they'd be better equipped than Equifax CSR in resolving this issue? 

 

 

Personal Aphorism:
"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"


Starting FICO 8s | 09/06/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 07/01/2019: EX 741 ✦ EQ 727 ✦ TU 733
Current FICO 9s | 06/01/2019: EX 753 ✦ EQ 751 ✦ TU 732
Highest FICO-8 Ever | 10/2018: 780 [on dirty report]

2019 Goal Score | 780s


My AAOA: 2.7 years not incl. AU / 2.10 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 6.5 years not incl. AU / 8.5 years incl. AU
Report Status: Clean

Tending my Garden til 2/2021


Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 8 of 30
Frequent Contributor

Re: Can't Unlock or Pull Equifax Report

I’ve spoken to the Lock & Alert support team, Equufax customer support, Equifax Global support, technical support, and their fraud team. They all tell me that my report is there but they do see the lock on it. And non of them can unlock it. Most of them say the same thing just unlock it on the app. If it was that simple I would have done that. It’s as if no one there has any control over this Lock & Alert product.
Message 9 of 30
Valued Contributor

Re: Can't Unlock or Pull Equifax Report

Wow.. I just don't know.  **bleep**, this is terrible.  I can't believe they have no backend means to remove a lock at customer request - you'd think it'd be a process similar to unfreezing. 

 

I'm assuming you've already tried the service from both the mobile app and the website?   I honestly have no other suggestions.  I can only hope that it's a glitch that will eventually work itself out but I know that does you zero good right now as it's proventing you from doing what you need to do. 

I'm really, really sorry.  

 


@MakeItAMudLight wrote:
I’ve spoken to the Lock & Alert support team, Equufax customer support, Equifax Global support, technical support, and their fraud team. They all tell me that my report is there but they do see the lock on it. And non of them can unlock it. Most of them say the same thing just unlock it on the app. If it was that simple I would have done that. It’s as if no one there has any control over this Lock & Alert product.

 

Personal Aphorism:
"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"


Starting FICO 8s | 09/06/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 07/01/2019: EX 741 ✦ EQ 727 ✦ TU 733
Current FICO 9s | 06/01/2019: EX 753 ✦ EQ 751 ✦ TU 732
Highest FICO-8 Ever | 10/2018: 780 [on dirty report]

2019 Goal Score | 780s


My AAOA: 2.7 years not incl. AU / 2.10 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 6.5 years not incl. AU / 8.5 years incl. AU
Report Status: Clean

Tending my Garden til 2/2021


Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.