Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing

tag
duckman
Established Member

Disputing

Hello all.  I have a question.  I have disputed 2 items on my credit reports to cra's (in writing return-receipt requested).  They sent me 2 letters asking for additional info to vfy that I am who I say I am (a copy of my social security card and driver's license).   Is this normal or will they use this info to verify that the debt is mine?  Thanks. 

And my fico score dropped 17 pts. on equifax.  Have not checked TU and Ex. 

Do I re-dispute if they come back verified?  Will this be successful - to be persistent?  Thanks for input!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Disputing

They likely will use the info, since these items are usually collected at the time you establish an account. If the debt is yours, then it's yours. There's not much percentage in trying to endlessly dispute it...in fact, such action might get you flagged and make it more difficult for you sometime down the road to dispute a future account that really ISN'T yours (in short, you'll get a reputation as The Boy Who Cried Wolf).

Now I am in the process of disputing all entires on my CRs that do not list the date of original delinquency, the balance, and the creditor. I think this is fair--how am I supposed to know an entry whose only information is "NCO FINANCIAL/22" (no balance, no account number, no original creditor, no date of first delinquency, no nothing) isn't fraudulent?
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Disputing

duckman wrote:
Hello all.  I have a question.  I have disputed 2 items on my credit reports to cra's (in writing return-receipt requested).  They sent me 2 letters asking for additional info to vfy that I am who I say I am (a copy of my social security card and driver's license).   Is this normal or will they use this info to verify that the debt is mine?  Thanks. 

And my fico score dropped 17 pts. on equifax.  Have not checked TU and Ex. 

Do I re-dispute if they come back verified?  Will this be successful - to be persistent?  Thanks for input!

The credit reporting agencies can ask to verify your identity.  As long as it is not the collectors who are asking for the info go ahead and give it to them.  It is likely that the info they have on file is different. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.