cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax Refusal To Remove Fraud Alert???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax Refusal To Remove Fraud Alert???

In February I was notified of a fraud alert on my TU credit report that was also picked up by Equifax.  I believe BOFA was the cause of this alert after I applied for a CC with them.  I contacted both TU and Equifax and informed them by certified mail/return receipt that I did not file a fraud report and wanted it immediately removed from by credit report. I sent both of them a copy of my DL with the removal request.  Both bureaus received it and TU took it off my report.  Equifax sent a letter saying something about info didn't match their records and they want a copy social security card or birth certificate, a DL or state issued ID and a utility bill to determine identify.  So I sent them a notarized copy of social security card, another copy of my DL and a recent utility bill by certified mail/return receipt. I enclosed another letter stating this was the second request for them to remove the fraud alert from my report.  They have received the second letter as well BUT they have not removed the fraud alert from my report.

Can anyone advise me what the next steps should be to get the CRA (Equifax) to remove this fraud alert?  I have given Equifax what they specifically asked for and they should comply (TU removed the alert in response to the initial letter I sent immediately) with my request in my opinion.  I am stumped as to what to do next.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Equifax Refusal To Remove Fraud Alert???

Not yet having removed the fraud alert is not the same as saying they are declining to do so.

Is the issue that they have declined to do so after you provided the requested matching ID info, or have simply not yet done so?

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

Not yet having removed the fraud alert is not the same as saying they are declining to do so.

Is the issue that they have declined to do so after you provided the requested matching ID info, or have simply not yet done so?

They have not removed it as requested twice so I am assuming that they are refusing to remove it.  This brings up the question as to how long should it take to make this correction?  Since it has been several weeks I don't feel as though I am being unreasonable.  That is why I have waited to post this issue and seek assistance.  I did not expect them to be quick (although TU was) but over six weeks has passed.  In my opinion this is enough time.  They have not said they won't do it but they have just done nothing.  Hope this explains my thoughts on their non action.

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The FCRA sets no specific period in days for imposition or removal, so a reasonableness standard will be applied by any court in its intrepretation.

I would call the CRA before assuming they are declining as opposed to agreeing to remove, but have simply not removed within a reasonable period.

The basis for contesting their lack of removal would be very different under those two possibilities.

Message 4 of 5
Cheryla18
Established Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

In February I was notified of a fraud alert on my TU credit report that was also picked up by Equifax.  I believe BOFA was the cause of this alert after I applied for a CC with them.  I contacted both TU and Equifax and informed them by certified mail/return receipt that I did not file a fraud report and wanted it immediately removed from by credit report. I sent both of them a copy of my DL with the removal request.  Both bureaus received it and TU took it off my report.  Equifax sent a letter saying something about info didn't match their records and they want a copy social security card or birth certificate, a DL or state issued ID and a utility bill to determine identify.  So I sent them a notarized copy of social security card, another copy of my DL and a recent utility bill by certified mail/return receipt. I enclosed another letter stating this was the second request for them to remove the fraud alert from my report.  They have received the second letter as well BUT they have not removed the fraud alert from my report.

Can anyone advise me what the next steps should be to get the CRA (Equifax) to remove this fraud alert?  I have given Equifax what they specifically asked for and they should comply (TU removed the alert in response to the initial letter I sent immediately) with my request in my opinion.  I am stumped as to what to do next.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I just have a question since i put Alerts on my reports and now wish to remove them, Is it a requirement to send a Certified Letter to do so?

Current as of 3/21/18 EQ 609 TU 619 EX 628
Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.