Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian Freeze

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian Freeze

Anyone having trouble using thier online way to freeze thier report?

I can not and neither can my son but it worked last night for my husband. 

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

Re: Experian Freeze

I tried to freeze mine but there is an open dispute that won't allow me to. Of coruse the dispute has been going on for three weeks, so if they were timely in the first place this would have been accomplished already. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 2 of 24
chrys
Established Member

Same trouble here with Experian. I thought it might have something to do with their identity verfication system. I few years ago on a CR I noticed they had my current address as my previous address and vis-a-versa. I notified them and they had me send in a lot of documentation (eg, drivers license, billling statements, etc). They also mispelled my previous address. I checked my CR with Experian this morning and the address issue wan't there. However, I know having IT experience that sometimes files and tables don't get updated. So, the identity verification system might be using a table with my old address as current along with mispelling.

Did Experian ask that you send in documentation for the freeze to Allen, TX? They did that on one of the unsuccessful tries to freeze my credit.

They other thing that pisses me off about Experian they charged me multiple times for my unsuccessful atempts at freezing my credit. I might dispute that with my CC: company.

I had absolutely no problems freezing credit online with Equifax or Transunion.

Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup they asked me and my son to send documents there. Crazy as I had out my Experian annual report when I was doing it to make sure it was entered exactly as they have thiers. 
My son has only had credit for about a year so his address has always been this one.
Im annoyed at how hard this is and I hope when i need to do a lift it wont be as hard to do that. 

Transunion could not verify even though I answered the questions right although one was weird asked me if I had a card with one of the following

discoverbank

citibank

chase

and another I can not remember
or noe of the above

well I have a card with 2 of the above so I think this made me fail the questionaire

so i called by phone and put a freeze ( no need to answer any questions ... for real? ) just my social and address.

now I hope the online thing resets itself in the future so I can use it to unfreeze and maybe try to confirm my identity again

Equfax done bam no problem

Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I still want to monitor my reports i hope a freeze does not mess with that

Message 5 of 24
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

I can't either.  They really tick me off!  Tried to upload the documents and they don't tell you what format files they will accept until you try to submit one that isn't on their "approved list".  Then I put my DL in a PDF format (one of the few formats they accept) and got a website error twice.  Plus, you have to send them even MORE secure information about yourself such as a utility bill, bank statement, or insurance statement... I guess the hackers were not getting enough valuable information from hacking them in 2015 so now they want my bank insurance account information as well?  

Third time, I was able to upload it but it only tells you what to expect if you are trying to file a dispute -- not if you are merely trying to prove that you are who you say you are.

I am sooooooo beyond fed up with the CRAs -- and the proliferation of them.  They collect your information and you don't even know about it.  Then they don't even protect it or ensure that the information is correct.  And if something is wrong, you can't get it disputed to save your life.  And you have to charge them to access the information and if you want to protect your information... well, that will cost you even more!  So let me get this straight:

• They get paid for stealing collecting your information and storing it in a massive breachable database.
  • They get paid by companies wanting the information they have stolen collected about you.
  • They get paid if you want to see what information they have on you
  • They get paid if you want to protect the information they have collected about you.

What a sweet sweet deal they have... and it was bad enough when there were just the three -- but now there are sooooooo many that you can't even possibly know every single one of them.  Makes my head explode.

(sorry -- just had to get that off my chest!)

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 6 of 24
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I know that with my Sams Club Card, I can't get my free fico score because TransUnion has been on ice for a year or 2... but credit karma has been able to report my credit changes pretty reliably even if it is fako

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 7 of 24
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@designated_knitter wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I know that with my Sams Club Card, I can't get my free fico score because TransUnion has been on ice for a year or 2... but credit karma has been able to report my credit changes pretty reliably even if it is fako

Same here with my Amazon store credit. I had it temp unfroze in August for a different matter and score was availble. It's now back frozen it shows my score from 5 weeks ago so It won't update. I wonder if it's just store cards that have this problem? My major CC's never seem to have this problem.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 8 of 24
chrys
Established Member

I really have to wonder if Equifax is trying to make money off their fiasco. I saw that for a mere $16 per month they have a service to protect your credit. I want to see those 3 Equifax execs that sold their shares before the news of the breach was announced hauled before Congress and grilled. The board of the company should take some action too with them.

Message 9 of 24
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Given the current EQ fiasco, I decided it was time to freeze my 3 bureaus.

TU was easy, cost $5

EQ was easy, cost $5 

When I checked to see if I was impacted by the latest hack they answered in the affirmative and I can sign up for their free monitoring on the 13th of Sept.

When I tried to Freeze with EX I needed to answer the questions and I guess failed their questions. They asked about an auto loan but with multiple auto loans who knows if I answered how they wanted. They wanted documents sent and I see they have four (4) pending charges for $5. Of note I was on hold for over 40 minutes before I decided to hang up.

I subscribe to credit check total, and Experian product and had no problem seeing my report today. So my guess is there is a problem with Experian since the latest issue with EQ. 

Finally, I decided to pay for a new 3B report here and that was held up for verification. I am still receiving alerts from myFICO monitoring and CCT so not too worried there is an issue with my file.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.