cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it take to post Amex Authorized user?

Highlighted
Contributor

How long does it take to post Amex Authorized user?

Hi, just added my dad to my amex, how long will it take for it to post on his credit reports? I'm hoping it will be a few weeks instead of 2 months (2 statements) like mine, because he's gonna try to finance a car later this summer. 





Future:
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: How long does it take to post Amex Authorized user?

It should update by the next billing cycle I believe

 

Be aware that AMEX authorized users being added do not get the history of the card (age of account, payment history, etc) like other banks. The AUs being added start from the date you added them and the only thing to carry over is the card limit and its utilization. If you were looking to add to your father's AAoA, AoOA and payment history then you will want to find basically any other card in your profile to add him to because AMEX stopped doing this years ago

 

Another thing to note is some underwriters when manually reviewing a loan application or refinance in this instance will not count any AU cards for consideration. They technically are not financially responsible for the debt the primary is so "throw it out" as it were

Message 2 of 9
Highlighted
Moderator

Re: How long does it take to post Amex Authorized user?

In addition to the above, if you do not share an address it may never appear.  My mother has been an AU on my Amex Platinum for years now (for SkyClub access) and it has yet to appear on any of her reports.

Message 3 of 9
Highlighted
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: How long does it take to post Amex Authorized user?


@K-in-Boston wrote:

In addition to the above, if you do not share an address it may never appear.  My mother has been an AU on my Amex Platinum for years now (for SkyClub access) and it has yet to appear on any of her reports.


Is this YMMV? I would think a bank could correlate data from other means to get it right

Message 4 of 9
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Re: How long does it take to post Amex Authorized user?


@simplynoir wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

In addition to the above, if you do not share an address it may never appear.  My mother has been an AU on my Amex Platinum for years now (for SkyClub access) and it has yet to appear on any of her reports.


Is this YMMV? I would think a bank could correlate data from other means to get it right


Right? Doesn't Amex request SSN eventually, if you didn't provide it when first adding AU?


Smiley Embarassed
Message 5 of 9
Highlighted
Moderator

Re: How long does it take to post Amex Authorized user?

Yes it is YMMV.  Could be anti-abuse mechanism.  Different states and surnames.

Message 6 of 9
Highlighted
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: How long does it take to post Amex Authorized user?


@Dumbee wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

In addition to the above, if you do not share an address it may never appear.  My mother has been an AU on my Amex Platinum for years now (for SkyClub access) and it has yet to appear on any of her reports.


Is this YMMV? I would think a bank could correlate data from other means to get it right


Right? Doesn't Amex request SSN eventually, if you didn't provide it when first adding AU?


They do - when the AU is enrolled, the option is given to provide their SSN at the time or within 60 days, with the disclaimer that if it isn't provided by then, their card will be deactivated.



Rose Gold NPSL | BCP | Delta Gold | Hilton Surpass | Hilton Honors | PenFed PCR | IT Cash | IT Chrome | GHSFCU Visa Plat | Quicksilver | Target | VS | Home Depot | Lowes | Sams MC | Firestone | Overstock | Kohl’s | 2017 Audi A6 Prestige S-Line





TCL $85,100| Agg. Util under 5%
Message 7 of 9
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: How long does it take to post Amex Authorized user?

yea he has no history of credit cards. A Dave Ramsey so I finally convinced him to be AU of my amex, that's it. He won't even get the local credit union or discover card. I'm trying to boost him from 735 credit score with (2 active loans) 3 pass loans to having 1 credit reporting. So when we do finance a car, it would be a down payment with an amex card and not carrying thousands of dollars and have them carry that real money counter thingy and look ackward.





Future:
Message 8 of 9
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Re: How long does it take to post Amex Authorized user?

Generally the dealership is happy with a check. Lower processing cost on those and it is already in the banking system for compliance reasons. Other than that they are usually quite a bit happier when you just finance everything, just saying. The AmEx will report on his report on the next statement date as long as the SSN has been added for him. Waving an AmEx in the dealers face will not give you the best they have to offer. Overall any dealership will usually use a FICO Auto dirivative so the existing installment loans will count more than the AmEx in his favor.

TU:758 06/19/20 Bank of America--EX: 776 06/10/20 Experian--EQ:810 09/25/18 Citi--Gardening since 07/02/20
Active:
Bank of America (Better Balance Rewards M, Cash Rewards WM, Cash Rewards VS), Blispay V, Capital One (Quicksilver VSC, Walmart WMC), Chase(AARP VSC, Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom VSC, Slate VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Discover It C, FedEx Employee Credit Association V, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VS, HSBC Cash Rewards WMC, PenFed Platinum Rewards VSC, Synchrony Bank(PayPal Credit, PayPal 2% Cashback M), UMB Bank Simply Rewards V[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC)
Wishlist: AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, EBates, Marvel, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, PenFed Pathfinder, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards, Wells Fargo Propel
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.