tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pick 5, only 5!!

Message 21 of 46
Sneakytiki
Frequent Contributor

I wasn't sure I could get that one, maybe after I show some good history with Amex they'll let me apply for another one.

I really want a Chase card to start building some travel benefits, I just got 4 new credit accounts, so I need to wait until scores go up after my new accounts and CLI's start updating and decide if I'm actually going to follow through with it.

Starting Score-(01/2017): FICO ||EX:575--EQ:549--TU:588||
Current Score--(04/2018): FICO ||EX:686--EQ:697--TU:715||

Message 22 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice! Always have a plan and follow it, works best. I'm waiting for 10/2020 to get the CSR.
Message 23 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase: Daughter works there, third highest CL

Discover: GF daughter works there, second highest CL

Capital One: First credit card when I was rebuilding

AmEx: It seems prestigious, highest CL

Barclay: international card, plus I'm a fan of the Family Man movie (Nicholas Cage's character goes to London to work for Barclay)

That above are in order

Message 24 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

Chase: Daughter works there, third highest CL

Discover: GF daughter works there, second highest CL

Capital One: First credit card when I was rebuilding

AmEx: It seems prestigious, highest CL

Barclay: international card, plus I'm a fan of the Family Man movie (Nicholas Cage's character goes to London to work for Barclay)

That above are in order

Smiley Very Happy 

So you're saying you call your daughter and GFs daughter to get your limits increased lol

Message 25 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, but I was really concerned if I wasn't approved they would know and I'd feel really embarrassed.

Message 26 of 46
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

Great topic!  I think over time, I will end up culling the herd down to 5 cards anyway.

1. Discover it.  My first ever card (opened 2001).  Current CL: $16,200.  They've always been good to me.  They have the best customer service out there, and the 5% cash back categories ensure that the card actually gets some use pretty much every month.  It has a permanent home in my wallet.

2. Amex PRG. Backdated to 2006.  NPSL.  I have booked many free vacations over the years thanks to MR points.  They also have great customer service.  As my travel needs increase in the coming years, I'm thinking about upgrading this to a Platinum.

3. CSP. My newest card, just a month old.  Current CL: $26,000.  Pretty excited to be earning Chase UR points.  Depending on how much travel I end up doing, I may upgrade this to a CSR if the numbers make sense.

4. Amex Everyday. Backdated to 2006.  Current CL: $30,000. When I'm not chasing sign-up bonuses, this will probably be the card to catch all my non-bonus category spending, plus 2x MR points at supermarkets. I might upgrade to the Preferred if I start hitting 30 swipes a month.

...and that's really it.  Between those four, I've got all my networks covered, all my bonus categories covered, and over $70,000 in CL; that's everything I need.  On the chopping block:

1. Amex ZYNC.  Backdated to 2006.  NPSL.  This card hasn't gotten a swipe in years, and it doesn't even earn 1x MR points any more.  I only keep it because a) it's cool to have a white Amex charge card that no one's ever seen before, and b) it's a sentimental relic of my rebuilding days; I was SO EXCITED to get back in with Amex, and I was like a kid on Christmas when I got my approval and when the card came in the mail.

2. Citi ThankYou Preferred.  2014.  ~$9,000 CL.  I've never gotten much use out of this card. The ThankYou points are non-transferrable unless you upgrade to the premier or prestige, and I don't really have room to add another card with a big annual fee to my wallet.

3. Citi Double Cash. 2012. ~$6,000 CL.  For my non-bonus category spending, I'd rather get 1.2 MR points per dollar than 2% cash back.

4. BoA Cash Rewards.  2013. ~$8,000 CL.  The bonus categories all overlap with cards where I'm earning more valuable points (although the 3% cash back on gas and groceries is not bad). 

Message 27 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

We got a winner lol, well thought out!
Message 28 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Often wondered what cards you had....

P.S..

Thanks for all the sage advice overs the years now!

Message 29 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

What cards I’ve had?
Message 30 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.