Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help

tag
housejunkie81
Valued Member

Please help

I had an 808 credit score. I did a balance transfer for the whole amount of my balance. After that I didn't look back. Today 3 months later I check my credit score and it dropped to a 675. I called Bank of America and they said I needed to pay the payoff amount not the total balance. Is there anything I can do. I never had a phone call from Bank of America informing me I'm late nor any emails says my account is past due

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Please help

So, just to make sure i'm understanding properly: 

You had a balance on your BoA card which you transferred to another card, but you never went back to confirm that the BoA card still had a zero balance or that no interest was due in the month following the transfer/payoff.   So now, 3 months later, you have a late payment (30 day? 60 day?) from BoA for a remaining balance post-transfer (assuming this balance consists of the trailing interest which would have been included in the 'pay-off' amount).  And you never received any notification that payment was due/overdue so didn't know until it was too late...

Is that correct?

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 31
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

I just did sort of the same thing. 1 card showed a certain number as the current balance. I had another card with a zero int for 12 months bt offer. i transfered the current balance to the zero card but checked the original card about a week later and it showed a balance of 32.97, trailing interest.

It happened to me a few decades ago with a cap 1 card. i had a zero balance and didnt regularly check the account. the annual fee kicked in and by the time cap 1 mailed me a letter with big red letters on it i was behind 3 months and the 60 af balooned to a few hundred. i called cap 1 and explained what happened. they put me on hold and checked what i told them and then they reduced the amount to the af owed and erased any lates from my credit reports.

call them and explain, maybe you will get lucky.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 3 of 31
housejunkie81
Valued Member

In a nutshell that's correct

Message 4 of 31
thornback
Senior Contributor

@housejunkie81 wrote:

In a nutshell that's correct

Yea, unfortunately, there's not too much you can do other than request a goodwill deletion of the lates from BoA.  the fact that you didn't receive any notifications of your account being overdue isn't going to help you much -- ultimately, it's your responsiblity to monitor your accounts, not theirs.   They may be gracious enough to offer a goodwill deletion as a courtesy, given the balance was interest-only, if you take full responsibility of the oversight and point out your stellar past payment history -- to be clear, BoA is not famous for granting goodwills but it's certainly worth trying.   Write up a letter (send by mail) - short and sweet,  explaining the situation and asking them to consider removing the lates.  You can mention the lack of notification - but, in doing so, be sure not to place blame on them -  if mentioned, it should be more of a fleeting comment made as an attempt to explain your oversight.  

Sorry this has happened to you.  I truly hope you have success with a goodwill -- and if you should get a 'no' response the first time - wait a month and try again.  You have the next 7 years to work on getting the late(s) removed so don't give up. 

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 5 of 31
housejunkie81
Valued Member

Who do i email? Do you have an address? Has anyone ever had a goodwill deletion? Will it really take 7 years for my credit score to bounce back?

Message 6 of 31
thornback
Senior Contributor

@housejunkie81 wrote:

Who do i email? Do you have an address? Has anyone ever had a goodwill deletion? Will it really take 7 years for my credit score to bounce back?

Here's the link to the "Bank of America Goodwill" search results for the forums: Search - myFICO® Forums... i suggest you read through - there are success stories -- the first post of the search results offers an address and email (see comments) which i assume is still valid as the post is from Jan 2022.

The lates stay on your reports for 7 years and will negatively impact your scores for the entire time, however, some points will be recovered gradually as the lates age..

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 7 of 31
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@thornback wrote:   ... Write up a letter (send by mail) - short and sweet,  explaining the situation and asking them to consider removing the lates.  You can mention the lack of notification - but, in doing so, be sure not to place blame on them -  if mentioned, it should be more of a fleeting comment made as an attempt to explain your oversight. 

Sorry to hear of your lesson from the "school of hard knocks" @housejunkie81, but @thornback gave you some good advice. 

Yes, Goodwill letters do work sometimes, but I think I read a statistic once that it was about a 50/50 chance of success.  Some lenders refuse to budge.  Others are more generous.  Definitely send it by SNAIL MAIL, and not just an email.  Take time to write a nice professional-looking letter and have someone proof-read it for you.  Usually, you want the lender's address that is published on your credit report. I'm not sure I would mention a "lack of notification" as that sounds like you're dismissing ultimate responsibility.  Lenders send statements monthly (whether paper or electronic), and it's always our responsibility to check them.  You want to make sure to accept responsibility for the error, explain what you've learned and what you've done to prevent future occurrences, and to beg forgiveness.  Persistence matters.  As thornback said, you've got up to seven years and sometimes an additional letter or two can meet the right eyes.  If initially unsuccessful, consider contacting someone further up the totem pole, perhaps even as high as eventually going to the CEO's office. The worst thing that can happen is they say "no." 

I had a 30-day late once due to a mail mix-up on a brand-new account.  After two Goodwill letters, that lender still refused to remove it and it stayed on my reports for the full seven years. Smiley Frustrated   It was highly annoying but the impact on my FICO greatly diminished after the first two or three years.  However, there was some marginal score impact for the entire time.   Lates are worse if they are reported 60/90+ days and when they are fresh. 

Just to be sure, do you understand what happened and how it happened?  We do, but we want to be sure to help you prevent this kind of misunderstanding in the future.  Let us know if you have questions and best wishes with those Goodwill letters!  (If you do a web search for Goodwill letter examples, you can find some suggestions of how to write one but make it your own.)

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 8 of 31
thornback
Senior Contributor

Well said, @Aim_High.

My preference for goodwills is also snail mail - mainly because a paper letter is more likely to receive a thorough reading and to make a connection with the reader than email.  

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 9 of 31
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@housejunkie81 wrote:

I had an 808 credit score. I did a balance transfer for the whole amount of my balance. After that I didn't look back. Today 3 months later I check my credit score and it dropped to a 675. I called Bank of America and they said I needed to pay the payoff amount not the total balance. Is there anything I can do. I never had a phone call from Bank of America informing me I'm late nor any emails says my account is past due

You've gotten some excellent advice; hopefully, by carefully following it, you'll get this issue resolved.

But I'm wondering about down the road. What has this lesson taught you? For example, have you gone in to each of your credit card accounts and updated your notification settings? Are you sure all of your personal information is up-to-date, such as e-mail address, physical address, phone number, etc.? I would check all of that, making any updates that are needed, and set alerts for everything that might happen on an account: payment becomes due, payment becomes past-due, a charge is made on the account, you're approaching your credit limit, you're so many days away from your payment due date, and so on. You need to hone in on WHAT failed, and why--and then make sure it can't happen again. I have alerts set on all my accounts for even the most trivial things, like if $0.01 is charged, I get notified! Smiley Happy

Also, you might want to consider setting up auto-pay for all of your accounts. I'm personally not a big fan of this, as I prefer to micro-manage every aspect of my finances, but for some people this is a truly valuable tool that can prevent a scenario like yours.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.