Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TransUnion Customer Service?

tag
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

TransUnion Customer Service?

I've been a TransUnion Credit Monitoring subscriber for years. But I've never been able to lock my TransUnion credit report, despite the fact that my subscription is supposed to include this feature. TransUnion calls it "Credit Lock Plus" and it's supposed to work the same as the credit lock features at Experian and Equifax.

Today I spent several hours being shuttled back and forth among at least a half-dozen Customer Service Centers at TransUnion. No one seemed to understand or be able to solve my problem. One of them cited "Error code 323" but couldn't tell me what that meant. Finally I ran out of time and hung up; I was left very frustrated with my problem unresolved.

I've had similarly bad service from Equifax recently. These companies all seem to use overseas call centers with poor connections and staff who don't even understand their own systems. Has anyone had better service lately, or is this the norm?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
LooksAreDeceiving
Contributor

Re: TransUnion Customer Service?

Are you a paying subscriber?  I formerly paid for their monthly service, but downgraded awhile back to their free version, since I was using Experian's monitoring and it wasn't worth the additional cost.  The free TransUnion monitoring allows me to lock and view my credit report, and I only log into their site every now and then to see if my report is still "locked."

I've never had any trouble with locking/unlocking my report, although I haven't tested it in awhile.  TransUnion formerly had a nice app that provided the same functionality, but they decided to discontinue it.  Apparently, they couldn't figure out how to force people to view their "offers" when using the app, so now the website is the only option.

Message 2 of 8
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

@LooksAreDeceiving wrote:

Are you a paying subscriber?  I formerly paid for their monthly service, but downgraded awhile back to their free version, since I was using Experian's monitoring and it wasn't worth the additional cost.  The free TransUnion monitoring allows me to lock and view my credit report, and I only log into their site every now and then to see if my report is still "locked."

Yes, I subscribed years ago to TU's Credit Monitoring service, which is supposed to include the ability to lock my report. But their Credit Lock feature isn't working for me. I finally got ahold of a CSR who seemed to know a little more than most of them, and she promised to "send my account to maintenance" so the problem could be sorted out. We'll see!

Perhaps like you I'd have better luck with their free service...Sheesh!

Message 3 of 8
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@ridgebackpilot wrote:

@LooksAreDeceiving wrote:

Yes, I subscribed years ago to TU's Credit Monitoring service, which is supposed to include the ability to lock my report. But their Credit Lock feature isn't working for me. I finally got ahold of a CSR who seemed to know a little more than most of them, and she promised to "send my account to maintenance" so the problem could be sorted out. We'll see!

Perhaps like you I'd have better luck with their free service...Sheesh!

This is disturbing to learn. I have been equally disturbed by the numerous nightmares that folks have when attempting to unlock TransUnion reports. Have you ever considered freezing (instead of locking) your TU report? It only requires phoning in (easier than online) to TU's automated line and using a PIN to request freezing/unfreezing. Good luck and I hope you find resolve.

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmph.  After hearing there was a free version, I headed over to sign up for an account.  When I signed up they asked for a credit card.  I put it in, knowing some places request one at sign up but it doesn't mean you will be charged.  Well, I was charged.  I thought I was signing up for an account, not for a subscription service!  

Not only was I charged, but when I got in all it gave me was Vantage scores.  I could get those free from Credit Karma.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same issue and have never subscribed to their services, I have only had their free service. I placed a credit freeze on my account due to fraud. I'm trying to have it lifted to apply for a mortage.  They were supposed to send my a 6 digit pin 2 weeks ago. I never received it. I called yesterday. They claim noone there can lift the freeze. The agent told me I have a 323 error on my account. I have to call back Monday (while I'm at work which I cannot do) and talk to someone. When I log in my freeze status is "unknown". When I call in to the automated system to lift the freeze, it requires the pin I never received. So I'm stuck. If I can't get that freeze lifted, I can't get a mortgage. I already had to file a claim with the CFPB agains Experian for refusing to update my credit because Capital One was refusing to comply with a court order. That issue is still pending. I've already been denied for a mortgage by one company over it. I see multiple lawsuits in my future.

Message 6 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Try this. It may give you a problem since you already have an account. Its a freeze site, not their main site;

https://www.transunion.com/credit-freeze 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Try this. It may give you a problem since you already have an account. Its a freeze site, not their main site;

https://www.transunion.com/credit-freeze 

Thanks. That's the site I use and all I get is:

Picture of what I see

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.