Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue FCU

tag
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

Blue FCU

I searched and all I found was a thread from 2 years ago.  Just curious if anyone has recently joined?  Looks like they are Chex sensitive based on the old DPs.  I'm going to order a copy of my report since I've been busy with various CUs lately.  I'm assuming that getting denied would simply be a matter of waiting and trying again, but otherwise no negative consequences.  

They have a 5% for the first 1000$ account that I'm interested in.  Looks like the requirement is a $5 deposit per month.  Unless I'm missing something in the fine print there is nothing that says your balance has to end up $5, but rather that a transfer just needs to have occurred?

Thanks for any input!

https://www.bluefcu.com/everyday-banking/savings/accelerated-savings

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Blue FCU

@recoveringfrombk7  Nice find. I do recall reading about them but I don't know much besides the name. Maybe @Gmood1  knows or @M_Smart007 , @Anonymous  wants a crack at membership? Smiley Tongue

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually looked at them awhile back because someone posted their credit card designs and I thought they were cool and they offer low APRs and one of them is even a fixed rate card. They have the Blue Foundation that you can donate $5 to during the application to get membership. 

They have branches here locally which was part of the appeal for me in addition to shared branching. Not sure on Chex and I'm at my quota for how much money I can have in savings so they wouldn't benefit me much right now. 

Message 3 of 14
core
Valued Contributor

To me the way it's written, going 1 cent over $1k gives you just 0.10% on your entire balance.  Normally I'd expect to still get the 5% on the $1k portion, but that's not what it says there.  Maybe just poorly written, or maybe that's the gotcha?

Message 4 of 14
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@blueFCU wrote:
What happens if I have over $1,000 in my Accelerated Savings account?
Accelerated Savings account holders earn dividends on balances up to $1,000. If you keep more than $1,000 in your Accelerated savings you will no longer earn 5.00% APY.

Your dividend on your entire balance will earn 0.10% APY.

We recommend keeping less than $1,000 in Accelerated Savings accounts.

Click here to learn more about Accelerated Savings accounts.

Message 5 of 14
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@AllZero wrote:

@blueFCU wrote:
What happens if I have over $1,000 in my Accelerated Savings account?
Accelerated Savings account holders earn dividends on balances up to $1,000. If you keep more than $1,000 in your Accelerated savings you will no longer earn 5.00% APY.

Your dividend on your entire balance will earn 0.10% APY.

We recommend keeping less than $1,000 in Accelerated Savings accounts.

Click here to learn more about Accelerated Savings accounts.

+1

Message 6 of 14
AllZero
Mega Contributor

There is also Extreme Checking. Earn 1.50 - 3.50% APY* on balances up to $15,000. It's not a set it and forget it type of account.

Dividend Criteria

• A minimum of 10 debit card transactions must post and clear your account (excluding ATM transactions)
  • You must be enrolled in eStatements (must have a valid email address)
  • Have at least one of the following post and clear your account on a monthly basis:
    • Direct Deposit
    • ACH deposit or ACH withdrawal
    • Online Bill Payment

https://www.bluefcu.com/everyday-banking/checking/extreme-checking

Message 7 of 14
core
Valued Contributor

With the Extreme checking you also get $28/mo in ATM fee refunds.  I applied, and the app is being held for review.  Apparently they know I'm a very naughty individual!  They allow funding with credit cards but I didn't want to risk a cash advance fee.  Thanks OP!

Message 8 of 14
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@AllZero wrote:

@recoveringfrombk7  Nice find. I do recall reading about them but I don't know much besides the name. Maybe @Gmood1  knows or @M_Smart007 , @Anonymous  wants a crack at membership? Smiley Tongue

Actually I tried this one several years ago. I got an error when trying to join. And never could get them to email me back.

So I let Blue FCU ride into the sunset.Smiley LOL

Possibly they are Chex sensitive. I had a bunch of CU and Bank accounts then as well.

Message 9 of 14
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:

@AllZero wrote:

Actually I tried this one several years ago. I got an error when trying to join. And never could get them to email me back.

So I let Blue FCU ride into the sunset.Smiley LOL

Possibly they are Chex sensitive. I had a bunch of CU and Bank accounts then as well.

I have let a few go like that due to issues.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.