Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCU Membership Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

DCU Membership Question

When applying for membership, which credit bureau does DCU check? Do they check Chexsystem also? I have a freeze on all of my files so I would need to unfreeze them before I apply. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Re: DCU Membership Question

@Anonymous wrote:

When applying for membership, which credit bureau does DCU check? Do they check Chexsystem also? I have a freeze on all of my files so I would need to unfreeze them before I apply. 

DCU does a SP on EQ5, they will hit your ChexSystems as well.

I believe you would need to unfreeze to apply.

I'm not a member of DCU, these are DPs I've learned from other members here.

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 2 of 9
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

They use to HP your Equifax , but now it is SP.

But they do put too much emphasis in Chexsystem! So be sure that is clean.

Message 3 of 9
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

I'd like to ask, just out of curiousity......what is the draw to DCU ?  Looking at their products, they have an outstanding Savings APY rate, but other than that......I'm not seeing anything that stands out about them.

I'm just wondering if that Savings APY is the main reason? 

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 4 of 9
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Good savings rate for the first $1K on deposit.

Opportunity for targeted quarterly soft pull offers for loans and credit cards, somewhat like what PenFed does.   Their cards are nothing special.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 5 of 9
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Forgot - each January they extend 0% APR 0% BT fee 6 month balance transfer offers to their CC. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 6 of 9
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

Hmmm, ok.  Was just curious.....I take notice to what CU's other members lean toward. I'm trying to figure out my next CU, and haven't been able to ascertain the attraction to some of them like DCU, BECU, Andrews, etc that seem to be popular here.

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 7 of 9
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

@Taurus22 wrote:

Hmmm, ok.  Was just curious.....I take notice to what CU's other members lean toward. I'm trying to figure out my next CU, and haven't been able to ascertain the attraction to some of them like DCU, BECU, Andrews, etc that seem to be popular here.

They were the first lender to approve me for an auto loan when many others said no, and they gave me a $5k CC to boot, when all I had was a $300 CC and a $500 CC. They also have great loan rates & you get paid 2 days early if you have DD with them (+ a 0.25% loan discount). There are better CUs (with better websites) for sure, but they do have a lot of pluses in my book. 

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

SP on EQ5, they check ChexSystems and ask for your DL. good credit union as long as you have a good credit profile. they do ask for POI for auto loans and personal loans.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.