tag
creditfan
Established Contributor

Re: Favorite CUs and why, please?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Caught750 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I love NFCU (shocker, I know). 

DCU (EQ SP) is definitely worth joining with their rates. As of now their savings is still 6.17% on the first $1K when everyone including BECU has slashed their rates so there's at least that. 

Out of all the CUs and banks I have that emailed me about their COVID-19 responses, SSFCU and Langley went the furthest. They are both behind in the technology department though. SSFCU is a TU puller (HP) with a geofence for CO, TX, and UT. Langley is an EQ puller (SP) with open membership. 

I've been a fan of NFCU as well.  We've had some moments but all things considered I'm very pleased with them. 

I've heard mixed things on SSFCU.  Langley seems to be very willing to help but I haven't seen anything product wise that really gets my attention.  Am I overlooking something?

I'll be sure to keep that $1k in DCU for over 6%!

Langley's cash back card gets a new rotating 5% category every month which is a nice perk and their PLOC goes down to 7.25% which is one of the lowest rates I've seen (their platinum credit card is only .25% lower). They also have 2 day early direct deposit on their checking and LangleyPays which gives you $.10 per debit card transaction. I have been playing with the idea of making them my main FI. 

Keep an eye on the DCU page to make sure they don't slash their rates early next month but I was looking on the Wayback Machine and DCU's savings rates have only gone up with time so I have some hope it will stay. 

fyi, SSFCU ploc (prime line) is as low as 6% 

Message 11 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Caught750 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I love NFCU (shocker, I know). 

DCU (EQ SP) is definitely worth joining with their rates. As of now their savings is still 6.17% on the first $1K when everyone including BECU has slashed their rates so there's at least that. 

Out of all the CUs and banks I have that emailed me about their COVID-19 responses, SSFCU and Langley went the furthest. They are both behind in the technology department though. SSFCU is a TU puller (HP) with a geofence for CO, TX, and UT. Langley is an EQ puller (SP) with open membership. 

I've been a fan of NFCU as well.  We've had some moments but all things considered I'm very pleased with them. 

I've heard mixed things on SSFCU.  Langley seems to be very willing to help but I haven't seen anything product wise that really gets my attention.  Am I overlooking something?

I'll be sure to keep that $1k in DCU for over 6%!

Langley's cash back card gets a new rotating 5% category every month which is a nice perk and their PLOC goes down to 7.25% which is one of the lowest rates I've seen (their platinum credit card is only .25% lower). They also have 2 day early direct deposit on their checking and LangleyPays which gives you $.10 per debit card transaction. I have been playing with the idea of making them my main FI. 

Keep an eye on the DCU page to make sure they don't slash their rates early next month but I was looking on the Wayback Machine and DCU's savings rates have only gone up with time so I have some hope it will stay. 

fyi, SSFCU ploc (prime line) is as low as 6% 

Yes I noticed that last night. 

SSFCU generally wants much higher income than I have though so it's unlikely I'll try for theirs. Langley, however, gave a PLOC to AJC who's right around my income so there's probably a good chance I'll be able to get one from them if I want one.

It doesn't really make sense for me to have a line of credit though considering the fact I have a $12,700 Platinum with NFCU which should be 5.99% very shortly thanks to the cut to the prime rate. Can't see myself needing more than that and if I did, I have a $4K cashRewards I can move some of the limit over from. 

Message 12 of 50
AnimatorProcrastinator
Regular Contributor

Baxter Credit Union is definitely my favorite. Their checking account has 3% APY with requirements of $500 deposit a month (any deposit, doesnt have to be DD), and 15 "transactions" a month that I satisfy without even noticing. They have a 'rainy day' savings account that used to be 2.5% up to $25,000 but got cut down to 2% because of the fed rate cuts. I really have never encountered any problems with BCU, and whenever I have needed something, their customer service is absolutely phenomenal. It seems like I never have to wait on hold to talk to somebody unlike other CUs that always have around a 20-30 wait (cough DCU cough). There's never been any fuss when applying for their products, i've never really had to provide any docs. I get unlimited ATM rebates that i've tested and gotten $50 in rebates in a single month. Oh and their DD is two days early which is a plus. Then they gave me a $14,000 limit when my highest limit at the time was I think $3,500. Of course NFCU is amazing for giving me $25k after 3 months of membership, but I am almost more impressed with BCU's somewhat small asset size trusting me with $14k. I have yet to find another CU that matches all the benefits that I get with Baxter.

Message 13 of 50
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I love Penfed! They always come through for me, never wasted hps, and just are a true blessing for those with low incomes. They make my Equifax a well visited home that always has no vacancySmiley Happy

Message 14 of 50
Caught750
Valued Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

I love Penfed! They always come through for me, never wasted hps, and just are a true blessing for those with low incomes. They make my Equifax a well visited home that always has no vacancySmiley Happy

🤣😂

PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 15 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

My favorite is NFCU.  But mostly because of their 24x7x365 availability and now local branches and their generous credit limits.  Their reps when I call in have been pretty helpful and seem like they know what they're talking about - mostly.  Their SM support seems like it's operated by air heads that get distracted by shiny objects in the distance or their clock changing time in their task bar and don't read what you type and/or have a clue WT2 they're talking about - at least from my experience.

I just recently joined BECU and if it wasn't for a few things (lack of around the clock support, lack of local branches, lack of online/mobile bt and just a few other caveats with their mobile app that I don't care for), they'd probably easily surpass NFCU.  Seem to have generous SL and APR as well.  I've had to call in a few times for stuff and pleasant experience each time.  Not sure if I was lucky or if they got the out of state drama over with, but as of now, they don't seem to have an issue with me.  Provided images of DL & SS upon signing up and nothing else.

I also don't mind PenFed.  I haven't had any issues when calling in or anything.  They were actually the first CU to give me my first 5 digit line.  Just again, mostly same reasons for not liking them as BECU for me - except for the mobile app & can do BT with out calling in.  I actually don't have any complaints with it, based off of my experience and not having a checking account with them.  Do hate that they seem to be HP happy now.

Message 16 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

/sigh

Message 17 of 50
Caught750
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My favorite is NFCU.  But mostly because of their 24x7x365 availability and now local branches and their generous credit limits.  Their reps when I call in have been pretty helpful and seem like they know what they're talking about - mostly.  Their SM support seems like it's operated by air heads that get distracted by shiny objects in the distance or their clock changing time in their task bar and don't read what you type and/or have a clue WT2 they're talking about - at least from my experience.

I just recently joined BECU and if it wasn't for a few things (lack of around the clock support, lack of local branches, lack of online/mobile bt and just a few other caveats with their mobile app that I don't care for), they'd probably easily surpass NFCU.  Seem to have generous SL and APR as well.  I've had to call in a few times for stuff and pleasant experience each time.  Not sure if I was lucky or if they got the out of state drama over with, but as of now, they don't seem to have an issue with me.  Provided images of DL & SS upon signing up and nothing else.

I also don't mind PenFed.  I haven't had any issues when calling in or anything.  They were actually the first CU to give me my first 5 digit line.  Just again, mostly same reasons for not liking them as BECU for me - except for the mobile app.  I actually don't have any complaints with it, based off of my experience and not having a checking account with them.  Do hate that they seem to be HP happy now.

Thanks MrE, that does suck that a BT card requires a phone call to BT.  I wasn't aware of that.  I have seen some great things with them though.  Langley and Redstone may make the list for later this year too.

PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
Message 18 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Caught750 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I also don't mind PenFed.  I haven't had any issues when calling in or anything.  They were actually the first CU to give me my first 5 digit line.  Just again, mostly same reasons for not liking them as BECU for me - except for the mobile app.  I actually don't have any complaints with it, based off of my experience and not having a checking account with them.  Do hate that they seem to be HP happy now.

Thanks MrE, that does suck that a BT card requires a phone call to BT.  I wasn't aware of that.  I have seen some great things with them though.  Langley and Redstone may make the list for later this year too.

Yeah, think it's only mentioned here on the forums a handful of times.  Found it odd that they didn't ask about doing one during the application process.  Then got to looking around and realized it was no where to be found!  They do seem like they're constantly updating and improving stuff, so hopefully.  Not sure how easy/hard they make it, just know they won't process one until you have the card in hand.

EDIT:  PenFed doesn't require a phone in for the BT - just FYI.  Just realized I kinda included them in with BECU and wanna be clear on that.  lol

Message 19 of 50
Caught750
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Caught750 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, think it's only mentioned here on the forums a handful of times.  Found it odd that they didn't ask about doing one during the application process.  Then got to looking around and realized it was no where to be found!  They do seem like they're constantly updating and improving stuff, so hopefully.  Not sure how easy/hard they make it, just know they won't process one until you have the card in hand.

Well that's silly but, in all honesty, I'm learning to expect that all FIs have some odd quirk. If they're solid enough to deal with that's what matters 

BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
Message 20 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.