Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU OOPS Checking

@Anonymous    What is a Chex and EWS?!

Message 11 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not the best at calculating interest but $480 principal, $20 interest that has to be repaid in 30 days...

That's equivalent to 50% APR if you use the whole 480, or way higher than 50% if you use less than 480. You could get better rates from a cash advance or Navy's $500 LOC. Like the aboved mentioned ODing your checking is a not good idea for other reasons too.

Message 12 of 48
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous     480 with a 20 dollar fee is less than .05% interest/fee....I'm pretty sure I did that right lol

Message 13 of 48
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

.5% ?

Message 14 of 48
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Message 15 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

The fee is entirely dependent on how much you overdraw. If you overdraw $15 or more, you'll get charged the $20 fee per item up to three times in one day. Fees can exceed the $500 by up to $50 so if you max the $500 in one transaction, you're paying a fee that's equal to 4%. If you overdraw three times in one day, you have raised your fees to $60 which would be 12% of the overdraft (since there is a $50 cap on fees in excess of the $500, if you use the full $500 it would be 10%). Only overdraft $15 though and you're paying 133% of the overdraft in fees. 

https://www.navyfederal.org/pdf/applications-forms/NFCU_657.pdf

Another thing to keep in mind is that unlike a line of credit, NFCU doesn't guarantee payment with OOPS. 

Message 16 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

@Anonymous     480 with a 20 dollar fee is less than .05% interest/fee....I'm pretty sure I did that right lol

20 / 480 = 0.041666... 

.0417 x 100 = 4.17%

Message 17 of 48
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous    The way the lady told me on the phone is it won't let you go over 500 in total including the fee's so if you did it for the one time you could do up to 480 (plus the 20 fee would be the 500 max).      I definitely don't think it would be a good idea to use it for 20 bucks or so lol but I don't judge if someone needs 20 and they are ok with doing 20 in fees to get it asap then that is a 100% fee, but I do know some people too that are single parents and such and don't have family that can help so I get it on that end too.     But again I only say this IF you CAN not potentially or maybe can pay it back but if you have something tangible instead of doing a pay advance or a pawn etc.      Not of course to be abused either so I do agree with ya'll for sure on that part.  Smiley Happy       And that last point is another good point too.     It's not a gaurantee the payment would clear I guess that depends on who is trying to take it out?!?!    But if you needed 100 or 200 or so and can't get the LOC and can't get a loan there are options Smiley Very Happy       I definitely want to dig more into LOC's for myself though LOL   *tips hat to you @Anonymous  and @M_Smart007 *

Message 18 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

@Anonymous    The way the lady told me on the phone is it won't let you go over 500 in total including the fee's so if you did it for the one time you could do up to 480 (plus the 200 fee would be the 500 max).      I definitely don't think it would be a good idea to use it for 20 bucks or so lol but I don't judge if someone needs 20 and they are ok with doing 20 in fees to get it asap then that is a 100% fee, but I do know some people too that are single parents and such and don't have family that can help so I get it on that end too.     But again I only say this IF you CAN not potentially or maybe can pay it back but if you have something tangible instead of doing a pay advance or a pawn etc.      Not of course to be abused either so I do agree with ya'll for sure on that part.  Smiley Happy       And that last point is another good point too.     It's not a gaurantee the payment would clear I guess that depends on who is trying to take it out?!?!    But if you needed 100 or 200 or so and can't get the LOC and can't get a loan there are options Smiley Very Happy       I definitely want to dig more into LOC's for myself though LOL   *tips hat to you @Anonymous  and @M_Smart007 *

The lady over the phone was apparently misinformed unless the document I linked to is outdated. 

Make no mistake, this is an overdraft with a fancy name. There is no difference between overdrawing this account and overdrafts at a bank except NFCU may charge less fees in the end (my bank charges $34 for each transaction with a cap of 5 in a day and a $5 threshold so 3 $5 transactions could potentially cost you $102 with my bank) and while my bank will cover anyone who opts in to the coverage, NFCU has a 90 day waiting period and requirement that you're current on all of your accounts with them. 

Message 19 of 48
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous     She did mention the 90 day wait from opening a NF account and she explained if added it would take a couple days to activate so that is another food for thought.      But that is very interesting about the link though but asking about ones personal situation what would suite them would always be my go to thing to be safe as well.      If it's smarter or even easier to open the LOC then yes I agree with you both if there is back-lash about using this Service that may be the better route or if it's a small very small amount a person needs then maybe a 20 dollar pawn would be best LOL.        Just throwing stones and getting good feedback to help who I can Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.