Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy FCU Membership Denial

tag
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Navy FCU Membership Denial

@adelphi_sky wrote:

I applied for Navy Federal CU and got a denial. Very empty empty email that said I was denied in whole or in part of the information provided. The reply email was SecurityAppeals@navyfederal.org. From the email address, I assume they have a question about my personal information. I went through their membership qualification secontion and answered the questions truthfully. I got the "You're Qualified!" screen. So, it can't be for that reason. 

However, If it is personal info, why not just say, "Your app is pending upon further investigation. Please give us a call."?  They just flat out denied it. lol  

I am currently a member of NASA FCU and have probably paid a small fortune in intereste on their credit cards and my rewards points still don't amount to enough to get ANYTHING. THeir point earnings structure is horrid. I'm also prepping for a good auto loan rate in the future. It was between Navy and Penfed. 

My profile is excellent. No baddies, low DTI, and i haven't burned any banks with bad checking or savings activity. Anyone else get this cryptic email and was able to appeal the denial? 

Equifax:  820

Transunion: 796

Experian: 804

Do you actually meet the requirements for membership? If not, they dont need any other reason to deny. 

Message 21 of 38
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Years back I was young and stupid instead of old and stupid now.

Once got a large clothing purchase rejected at a bricks and mortar store.

At the time I was angry at my credit card issuer was about to cancel card.

Called the issuer and they said that purchase was out of pattern.

Years later having had cards used fraudulently I am onboard with greater verification if it lowers fraud and theft.

If you are eligible for membership I would be surprised if you cannot get it resolved.

Why do I have the feeling that Citibank was somehow involved here?

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 22 of 38
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

@adelphi_sky wrote:

I applied for Navy Federal CU and got a denial. Very empty empty email that said I was denied in whole or in part of the information provided. The reply email was SecurityAppeals@navyfederal.org. From the email address, I assume they have a question about my personal information. I went through their membership qualification secontion and answered the questions truthfully. I got the "You're Qualified!" screen. So, it can't be for that reason. 

However, If it is personal info, why not just say, "Your app is pending upon further investigation. Please give us a call."?  They just flat out denied it. lol  

I am currently a member of NASA FCU and have probably paid a small fortune in intereste on their credit cards and my rewards points still don't amount to enough to get ANYTHING. THeir point earnings structure is horrid. I'm also prepping for a good auto loan rate in the future. It was between Navy and Penfed. 

My profile is excellent. No baddies, low DTI, and i haven't burned any banks with bad checking or savings activity. Anyone else get this cryptic email and was able to appeal the denial? 

A similar situation happened to me when I tried to join NIHFCU. I got an saying I didn't pass the verification process. I reached out to MemberServices and they told me they couldn't overturn the decide. I decided to try SECU but went into the branch to apply. With them, my former married name was still attached to my profile. Not sure how or why since I've been divorced for six years. My current id has my current name. The branch manager had to override their system and approve the membership. I'm thinking if I would have applied online it would have been a denial too

Message 23 of 38
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

@shadanat wrote:

@adelphi_sky wrote:

A similar situation happened to me when I tried to join NIHFCU. I got an saying I didn't pass the verification process. I reached out to MemberServices and they told me they couldn't overturn the decide. I decided to try SECU but went into the branch to apply. With them, my former married name was still attached to my profile. Not sure how or why since I've been divorced for six years. My current id has my current name. The branch manager had to override their system and approve the membership. I'm thinking if I would have applied online it would have been a denial too

Yeah. It just occured to me that I live in the DC area. I can just go to a branch. lol  I may try that rather than going back and forth with the fraud department. 

Message 24 of 38
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

👍 That will give you your best odds at being approve, with 1 to 2 forms of ID and a deposit ready, a branch manager of VSR can do the back and forth with the fraud department of need be.  Good luck! - assuming you do qualify to be a member... inquiring have minds have presented such a question...

Message 25 of 38
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

UPDATE: 09/04/2020

Went into a branch today to see if they could resolve the issue. They couldn't. They called the back office and the office said I had to fill out the same form the security dept. sent in the email response. I filled out that form and sent it back last week. So, I will have to wait until they get back with me.

I doublechecked my qualifications for membership with the people at the branch and they confirmed that I do qualify. So, no question there. 

Ironically, Navy Federal sent the denial letter to my house with the address I DID NOT use on my application. lol  So even their systems overrode what I put down on my application. No way around it. So, I give up. I'll just start using the city that I don't physically live in as my address. Smiley Sad

Message 26 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@adelphi_sky 

I sent you a PM. Have a good weekend!

Message 27 of 38
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

***Update***

I got a response back form the security appeals department. They basically said re-apply and make sure you supply the required documents. Okay. lol  It said I could re-apply online or at a branch. Guess which one I will do next? lol  I'm definitely going to a branch this time. 

Message 28 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@adelphi_sky 

That is awesome news and you are almost there! 

Thank you so much for the update and let us know when it's time to open a bottle of champagne to celebrate your new NFCU membership!! Smiley Very Happy

Message 29 of 38
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

***Update***

So, went to a Navy Fed branch and applied in person. Everything was going smoothly. Then, I got flagged by security again. lol They got hung up over the address AGAIN. Only this time, the CSR at the branch understood because she lives 10 minutes from me and she even googled my address and it came up with the same house. So, she had to call the security people. Unfortunately they were closed for the day. So, I'll find out tomorrow if everything is straight. I provided more evidence. Even unopened mail that had the two different addresses. 

FYI, apply with what is on your drivers license. Which is what I did at the branch. Although my credit report must have a different address. But they said, if you can't figure out which address to use, go with what is on your government photo ID. Which still didn't help me out. lol  But you get the idea. 

Hopefully tomorrow I can provide some good news. 

PS: The CSR asked my permission to do a SP after I said I was just opening up a checking account. 

Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.