to 5.9%. Suggests to me that 6% overall utilization
might be a thing.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 1 of 72
71 REPLIES 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 6% overall utilization.

I know you’re one of the pros on here, but I’ll ask anyhow - did the paydown coincide with any aging anniversaries or HP falloffs (either entirely at 2 years or from scoring at 1 year)? I’d be curious to know if there were any other secondary scoring criteria that happened around the same time...
Message 2 of 72
Anonymous
Not applicable

HPs falling off a CR at 2 years don't result in any FICO scoring impact.  Any impact happens at the 1 year mark.

I'm quite sure that SJ has isolated this score change specifically to his utilization change.  The only factor I would suggest double-checking with the month just recently changing would be the aging of his AoOA, AAoA and AoYA by 1 month.  A threshold could have been crossed on one of those factors, possibly resulting in a score change.

SJ, any update to your TU/EQ scores to go along with this utilization change?  We have seen many times that 1 bureau can behave/react differently to report changes where the other 2 don't, so I'm just curious here for my own knowledge.

Message 3 of 72
NRB525
Super Contributor

Is this change is score from being the first score pull of the month? When was the previous EX FICO 8 day of report?

What was the last few days of any statements updating to EX?

What was the change in individual card utilization, and any change in card count reporting balances?

And all these questions look for answers about how the changeover of the month relates to them. Smiley Happy
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 72
Anonymous
Not applicable

BBS, I agree with you - I know I’m not pointing out anything he’s unaware of Smiley Happy I am curious on the related DPs is all.
Message 5 of 72
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I know you’re one of the pros on here, but I’ll ask anyhow - did the paydown coincide with any aging anniversaries or HP falloffs (either entirely at 2 years or from scoring at 1 year)? I’d be curious to know if there were any other secondary scoring criteria that happened around the same time...

No it was an overnight change, nothing else happened.

Message 6 of 72
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

HPs falling off a CR at 2 years don't result in any FICO scoring impact.  Any impact happens at the 1 year mark.

I'm quite sure that SJ has isolated this score change specifically to his utilization change.  The only factor I would suggest double-checking with the month just recently changing would be the aging of his AoOA, AAoA and AoYA by 1 month.  A threshold could have been crossed on one of those factors, possibly resulting in a score change.

SJ, any update to your TU/EQ scores to go along with this utilization change?  We have seen many times that 1 bureau can behave/react differently to report changes where the other 2 don't, so I'm just curious here for my own knowledge.

The reason I was able to get clean data -- which is a challenge in my profile -- is that I just subscribed to a new Experian product which gives me daily updates of the report including updates of 4 scores: FICO 8, FICO 2, and an Auto and Bankcard score.  So it's clean data, but only applicable to EX. Several days later on my MyFICO dashboard there was a 6 point increase in TU FICO 8.  So it's possible that it was related, but impossible for me to have any degree of certainty about that one.

It didn't occur during the changeover of the month; it occurred earlier.

Message 7 of 72
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool, good stuff.

It's easy enough to test a couple of times to make sure... just yo-yo back and forth between 5% and 6% reported utilization and see if your score goes +7, -7, +7 etc.  I always think it's good to do that across theorized thresholds; I did that across what I believed to be a threshold at 78 months (6.5 years) AAoA and proved it to be one by doing so.

Message 8 of 72
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Cool, good stuff.

It's easy enough to test a couple of times to make sure... just yo-yo back and forth between 5% and 6% reported utilization and see if your score goes +7, -7, +7 etc.  I always think it's good to do that across theorized thresholds; I did that across what I believed to be a threshold at 78 months (6.5 years) AAoA and proved it to be one by doing so.

I will try to do that but I don't have complete control over it.

Message 9 of 72
NRB525
Super Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No it was an overnight change, nothing else happened.

In order for aggregate utilization to change, the set of individual card utilization percentages must also change.  What was that change in your list of reported card balances and utilization percentages over the last several days?

Since we are early into December, when aging thresholds become a hidden driver of score changes, what was your sequence of tracking scores from late November to the change you think of as 6% Overall Utilization as the December 1 threshold was crossed?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 10 of 72
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.