Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BLT impact on FICO Score!

tag
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

BLT impact on FICO Score!

I have 2 cards that are reporting high balance. 1st one has 48% UTI and 2nd with 54% UTI

I can BLT one to the other and have 76% and 0%. By doing this I’ll reduce some interest rate.

The question is how many points you guys think I would lose by having one card at 76% vs. two cards at 48% and 54% UTI?

6 REPLIES 6
FlaDude
Established Contributor

Re: BLT impact on FICO Score!

I don't know the answer, but unless you have a short term need for a higher score, I'd go for less interest.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 2 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@CYBERSAM wrote:

I have 2 cards that are reporting high balance. 1st one has 48% UTI and 2nd with 54% UTI

I can BLT one to the other and have 76% and 0%. By doing this I’ll reduce some interest rate.

The question is how many points you guys think I would lose by having one card at 76% vs. two cards at 48% and 54% UTI?

I don't know if you would lose or gain, but either way I think the difference would be slight.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 7
ccquest
Established Contributor

Based on the Scoring Primer, it looks like there are thresholds for 30, 50, 70, 90, and 100% for individual cards. So one at 48% and the other at 54% could be better than one at 76%, but I'd guess with AZEO bonus and a single card at 76% (that you quickly pay down to under 70% if possible) you might do better than splitting the two. Aggregate utilization is also important, that's got 10% in addition to the other thresholds already mentioned.

That said, if you're doing large BTs, you might have other issues that are more important to address and I would agree with @FlaDude and focus on the actual costs vs FICO score here.

as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 4 of 7
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

Aggregate utilization and AZEO would not be a factor here. BLT would save 4% on interest. But I can live with that if negative impact would be great from one card showing 75% UTL!

Message 5 of 7
ccquest
Established Contributor

How hard is it going to be to get than one card under 70% though? I'd say if it's easy the temporary downsides from being at 75% are short lived and you're less likely to get the "cards with balances" negative factor since it'd only be one card.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CYBERSAM wrote:

At 76%, I believe you are considered maxed out.  My understanding is that FICO algorithm may penalize more for a maxed out card.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.