Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about auto inquiries

tag
Suzette2
Frequent Contributor

Question about auto inquiries

Hey, all:  

so I recently got a car loan and there were 10 inquiries in one day from the transaction.  Apparently the dealer shopped the deal.

I called the CB's since there's a law that states that auto inquiries are supposed to be counted cumulatively as one.  They told me that they're counted separately since they were pulled separately.  They also said I could call each potential lender and ask the inquiry to be removed since I did not authorize it.  

this doesn't sound right and I'm wondering if others have had this issue? What's the purpose of the law if it's irrelevant? On the other hand, if it's likely to prevail I don't mind calling them- but want my ducks in a row before I do.  

thanks in advance.  I've learned so MUCH here! 

6/20 :12/22 :
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Fico82
Frequent Contributor

Re: Question about auto inquiries

To my understanding... It will be scored as 1 but all 10 inquiries will show on your report for 2 years .

Message 2 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Suzette2 wrote:

Hey, all:  

so I recently got a car loan and there were 10 inquiries in one day from the transaction.  Apparently the dealer shopped the deal.

I called the CB's since there's a law that states that auto inquiries are supposed to be counted cumulatively as one.  They told me that they're counted separately since they were pulled separately.  They also said I could call each potential lender and ask the inquiry to be removed since I did not authorize it.  

this doesn't sound right and I'm wondering if others have had this issue? What's the purpose of the law if it's irrelevant? On the other hand, if it's likely to prevail I don't mind calling them- but want my ducks in a row before I do.  

thanks in advance.  I've learned so MUCH here! 

The inquiries stay in the record, but 2 weeks worth are aggregaged for scoring purposes and counted as just 1.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 3 of 13
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

This is common with auto dealers, they shotgun your application to as many lenders as possible looking to get you approved.  

Also they misinformed you regarding having the inquiries removed, when you authorized the dealer to pull your credit this constituted permissible purpose. 

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 13
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

Even for scoring purposes, all the inquiries must have been coded correctly as auto loan inquiries otherwise even then they would count individually for scoring purposes.

Message 5 of 13
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

I'd start making those calls.

And I'd also formally dispute the inquiries with each bureau. You did not authorize them.

Think of it this way -- if the dealer clearly advised you that there would be 10 inquiries, what would you have said?

You did not authorize the inquiries.  

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 6 of 13
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@expatCanuck wrote:

And I'd also formally dispute the inquiries with each bureau. You did not authorize them.

Think of it this way -- if the dealer clearly advised you that there would be 10 inquiries, what would you have said?

I wouldn't follow this advice.   Disputing inquiries is generally a waste of time and even if successful wouldn't result in a meaningful FICO score bump.

When you fill out a credit application at a dealership you're giving them permissable purpose to shotgun your credit application, unless you specifically put it in writing otherwise. 

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 7 of 13
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

@expatCanuck wrote:

I wouldn't follow this advice.   Disputing inquiries is generally a waste of time and even if successful wouldn't result in a meaningful FICO score bump.

When you fill out a credit application at a dealership you're giving them permissable purpose to shotgun your credit application, unless you specifically put it in writing otherwise. 

This is absolutely the correct answer.

If you start disputing these inquiries you risk having them flagged as being frivolous disputes and closed out, but in any case you aren't likely to have any success.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 8 of 13

When you say "you risk having them flagged as being frivolous disputes and closed out" what do you mean? What are they closing out? Are you saying frivolous disputes affects your relationship with these loan providers if you don't already have an account with them?

Starting Score:610
Current Score: 610
Goal Score: 700's

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 13
TheKid2
Frequent Contributor

@Minorincrediting wrote:

When you say "you risk having them flagged as being frivolous disputes and closed out" what do you mean? What are they closing out? Are you saying frivolous disputes affects your relationship with these loan providers if you don't already have an account with them?

I'm reading this that the DISPUTES themselves will be closed out as frivilous. Essentially, nothing changes except you have dispute comments on your credit profiles. None of this will impact your relationship with loan providers per se, but it certainly could have implications where future dispute investigations with the CRAs. The boy who cried wolf.

When folks sign the paperwork at an auto dealer, they should read it. You're giving them permission to shop for the best rate. And frankly, any responsible consumer should shop lenders for rates! You're not going to get the best deal every time with "1 pull".

JOINED 4/2020

FICO 8 = 582, 620, 589 / Mortgage = 633, 526, 581

CURRENT PEAK *Thanks to the MF Community!

FICO 8 = 715, 711, 720 / Mortgage = 688, 696, 681

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.