cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score goes down when there's a zero balance

tag
D86

Score goes down when there's a zero balance

I pay my credit card all the time two days before my due date. With doing so the last time my score went down because of  a zero balance. I have no idea why that happened and is there anyway to prevent it from happening again? My due date is the 10th, I pay it on the 8th my closing date is the 13th how can I avoid this?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Score goes down when there's a zero balance

@D86 wrote:

I pay my credit card all the time two days before my due date. With doing so the last time my score went down because of  a zero balance. I have no idea why that happened and is there anyway to prevent it from happening again? My due date is the 10th, I pay it on the 8th my closing date is the 13th how can I avoid this?

Yes they go up my scores have gone about 7-10 points for having CC reporting a 0 balance!

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

what I noticed is that (maybe it's just me), if score drops when balance goes down or zero, then score will go up when the balance goes up.

Message 3 of 10
D86

I have no clue to why that happened. Someone told me to pay on due(in full) and then use again as soon as cycle date closes. I don't know I have to figure out why that happened.

Message 4 of 10
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@D86 wrote:

I have no clue to why that happened. Someone told me to pay on due(in full) and then use again as soon as cycle date closes. I don't know I have to figure out why that happened.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/How-do-I-play-the-1-9-Utilization-Game-Please-...

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 5 of 10
newhis
Valued Contributor

@D86 wrote:

How many cards do you have? Do you pay your full current balance or only the last statement balance?

Some cards report when you pay to $0 balance. If all cards report a $0 balance your score will be less than if 1 card report less than 10% and others at $0.

Message 6 of 10
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@D86 wrote:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/How-do-I-play-the-1-9-Utilization-Game-Please-...

This.

Signature needs updating
Message 7 of 10
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@D86 wrote:

Welcome to the forums.  The answers you seek are here:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/bd-p/ficoscoring

Or here:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/bd-p/generalcredit

Signature needs updating
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@D86 wrote:

didnt you know debt= credit lol
once that happend to me i stop reporting at a 0 bal every month. I start having a carry over bal, then paying it off the next statement then the score goes up. so in short carry a bal one month pay it off the next month and repeat. Always reporting at a 0 bal is good, but if u wanna keep the points flowing throw them a bone with a small bal every other month! Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 10
D86

Thanks everyone!! That thread had some really great information. .... it is greatly appreciated! !
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.