cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some light reading for the FICO nerds. Number of cards reporting DPs: 80% to AZEO in 20% increments.

tag
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

Some light reading for the FICO nerds. Number of cards reporting DPs: 80% to AZEO in 20% increments.

As I've scoured these forums for the past 8

months, I've learned to relax and let my balances report organically as long as I am under all critical scoring thresholds and PIF each month on all cards. I am going to be brave and app for 2 cards on June 1st so I brought my accounts to AZEO in preparation. I started with 4/5 cards reporting and worked my way down to AZEO as of today. I thought I would share my DPs and how my scores were affected as each card's respective balance reported to $0. All scores documented here are from EX only.

Scorecard: Dirty/Thick/Aged. No COs, no collections. All baddies are 30D and 60D, most recent was 18 months ago. AAoA: 6 yr, 1 mo; AoOA: 12 yr, 8 mo; AoY(R)A: 88 days.

Ficoproblems247 EX Report - # and % Cards Reporting, Descending to AZEO

Date

Cards Reporting

Aggr Bal (TCL $27K)

AU8

BC8

AU2

BC2

5/6/20

80% (4/5)

3.6% ($967)

5/8/20

60% (3/5)

3.1% ($834)

+2

+7

+7

+10

+5

5/16/20

40% (2/5)

0.71% ($192)

+8

+3

+1

5/19/20

20% (1/5)

0.54% ($146)

+7

Credit to @Anonymous  for the well drawn up and logically laid out scoring table.

What I found interesting is that the break point for max scoring on my FICO 2 appears to be somewhere between 60% and 80% cards reporting. The only score that responded to crossing each threshold (not necessarily FICO thresholds, but my own incremental card ratios) as well as the AZEO threshold itself was Bankcard 8. My auto scores do not budge, possibly because most of my lates are from closed auto loans. Since everyone's scorecard is such an individualized reflection, I just thought I would share some info for science! Any other questions about anything specific just ask. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Re: Some light reading for the FICO nerds. Number of cards reporting DPs: 80% to AZEO in 20% increme

Thank you for sharing! I've been tracking my scoring changes as I move to AZEO and have seen similar results -- F2 barely moves, Auto remains stagnant, while F8 increases. I, too, also have most of my lates from auto loans with the addition of student loans.

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 2 of 44
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

Re: Some light reading for the FICO nerds. Number of cards reporting DPs: 80% to AZEO in 20% increme

@19eighty5 wrote:

Thank you for sharing! I've been tracking my scoring changes as I move to AZEO and have seen similar results -- F2 barely moves, Auto remains stagnant, while F8 increases. I, too, also have most of my lates from auto loans with the addition of student loans.

My pleasure! I am eternally greatful for the vast amount of time that members take on here to collect and post DPs. One topic that seems to confuse people a lot (as it did myself when I was newer to the forums) is AZEO. It seems like it is preached as a cookie cutter method to improve everything. It is, of course, correctly assumed to be the best way to represent each score in your profile, however as proven by many DPs it actually affects most scores in a less sagnificant way than commonly perceived. The issue is that when people recommend it as the best way to maximize your score, people feel they need to adhere to it strictly each month. The other issue is that it's difficult to explain in such analytical detail to a new member just looking for a bit of info how AZEO actually affects their profile, as well as anyone else's. I know that when I started reading these forums I was digesting everything in a much more casual manner than I am now. Either way, this place is amazing and some of the knowledge people have is absolutely bonkers! I look forward to continuing to learn, and contributing in any way I can!

TCL $199,800
Message 3 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice going, @Ficoproblems247! Throwing a monkey wrench into that 'Less than 50% of cards reporting a balance' theory! haha

Now that I have 4 cards to test with, I need to do this test as well. Thank you for tracking it!

EQ/TU 8 react strongly when I reported 1 of 2 cards (50%) with a balance. +19/+14 respectively. In general, I have seen all EQ/TU scores react better to lowering number of cards with a balance. But I am definitely in one of the new-to-credit scorecards, which no doubt have a higher percentage of derogatory profiles ahead of me in the dataset. Any little thing I do can put my profile on a vector toward the risky ones.

Message 4 of 44
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

I'm happy I was able to test something that could be helpful. The table looks absolutely fantastic, you're a rockstar! Also, thank you for correcting my aggregate percentages. I had not finished my morning coffee and apparently decimal places are hard. 😂

TCL $199,800
Message 5 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ficoproblems247 wrote:

I'm happy I was able to test something that could be helpful. The table looks absolutely fantastic, you're a rockstar! Also, thank you for correcting my aggregate percentages. I had not finished my morning coffee and apparently decimal places are hard. 😂

lol You're welcome! It's very helpful!

Message 6 of 44
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Ficoproblems247 wrote:

As I've scoured these forums for the past 8

months, I've learned to relax and let my balances report organically as long as I am under all critical scoring thresholds and PIF each month on all cards. I am going to be brave and app for 2 cards on June 1st so I brought my accounts to AZEO in preparation. I started with 4/5 cards reporting and worked my way down to AZEO as of today. I thought I would share my DPs and how my scores were affected as each card's respective balance reported to $0. All scores documented here are from EX only.

Scorecard: Dirty/Thick/Aged. No COs, no collections. All baddies are 30D and 60D, most recent was 18 months ago. AAoA: 6 yr, 1 mo; AoOA: 12 yr, 8 mo; AoY(R)A: 88 days.

Ficoproblems247 EX Report - # and % Cards Reporting, Descending to AZEO

Date

Cards Reporting

Aggr Bal (TCL $27K)

AU8

BC8

AU2

BC2

5/6/20

80% (4/5)

3.6% ($967)

5/8/20

60% (3/5)

3.1% ($834)

+2

+7

+7

+10

+5

5/16/20

40% (2/5)

0.71% ($192)

+8

+3

+1

5/19/20

20% (1/5)

0.54% ($146)

+7

What I found interesting is that the break point for max scoring on my FICO 2 appears to be somewhere between 60% and 80% cards reporting. The only score that responded to crossing each threshold (not necessarily FICO thresholds, but my own incremental card ratios) as well as the AZEO threshold itself was Bankcard 8. My auto scores do not budge, possibly because most of my lates are from closed auto loans. Since everyone's scorecard is such an individualized reflection, I just thought I would share some info for science! Any other questions about anything specific just ask. 

Thanks for the neat data points. I found it interesting.

In my profile FICO 2 reacts abruptly (around 11 points) when I increase or decrease number of accounts with balances at certain thresholds. I wonder if the difference might be that you're in a different scorecard due to having some late payments.

I'm also surprised Bankcard 8 reacted so differently than Classic 8.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 44
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Thanks for the neat data points. I found it interesting.

In my profile FICO 2 reacts abruptly (around 11 points) when I increase or decrease number of accounts with balances at certain thresholds. I wonder if the difference might be that you're in a different scorecard due to having some late payments.

I'm also surprised Bankcard 8 reacted so differently than Classic 8.

I take it you're on a clean scorecard. I am actually surprised my scores are as decent as they are, as I have 28 30 day lates, and 6 60 day lates reporting. Also, no open installment either (3 paid auto loans, and 1 paid mortgage however.) I am just now beginning to really explore the different scoring models a bit more. I wish I could test the other bureaus on a daily basis like I can with EX. I know I could do more drawn out experiments with monthly reporting on the others, but then you have to factor in changes with aging and the like that seem to come around the 1st of every month. Tracking this one was just so clean cut and easy to do as it was all throughout one month. Also, I've just rounded off my rebuilding phase, and am now in just the building phase, so new accounts are going to be the norm as quickly as I can without being a risky borrower/aggressive credit seeker, although I only have 4 more goal cards. Having such a comprehensive understanding of FICO scoring is a huge advantage. I understand that score is certainly not the end all in lending decisions, however if you have mastered what factors increase that actual number, chances are that those same factors are also playing for the most part the same considerations (albeit in different forms of algorithms) in the bank's internal scoring/decision making.  

TCL $199,800
Message 8 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ficoproblems247 You’re in a dirty card, so the further segmentation is severity and recency, I believe. Oldest account, youngest account, thin/thick, none of that matters.

The good news is in 6 months you should see a score bump for the late aging to 24 months! Right now you may be topped out on your score due to your card and inquiries. That may be why you’re not seeing a big difference with the number of accounts reporting a balance, or the metric may not mean as much in a dirty card since there's already so much of a penalty for being there to begin with.

Once you hit that score ceiling, it’s just like the people at 850: you can’t tell what the effect really is.

However the changes in BC8 seem to support thresholds at 75% 50% and 33% for score 8.

I don’t know what your situation is, but if you wait six months you’ll have better scores.

Message 9 of 44
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ficoproblems247 You’re in a dirty card, so the further segmentation is severity and recency. Oldest account, youngest account, thin/thick, none of that matters.

The good news is in 6 months you should see a score bump for the late aging to 24 months! Right now you may be topped out on your score due to your card and inquiries. That may be why you’re not seeing a big difference with the number of accounts reporting a balance, or the metric may not mean as much in a dirty card since there's already so much of a penalty for being there to begin with.

Once you hit that score ceiling, it’s just like the people at 850: you can’t tell what the effect really is.

However the changes in BC8 seem to support thresholds at 75% 50% and 33% for score 8.

I don’t know what your situation is, but if you wait six months you’ll have better scores.

Most recent 30D was in Oct '18 and reported current in Nov. My most recent 60D was in Dec '17, and I saw a large increase when that hit 2 years, along with negitive reason codes changing from "Serious delinquency" to "recent missed payment." I wish I was tracking my scores closely enough when that hit to have useful DPs but I am greatly looking forward to this fall when I'm past the 24 month mark on all lates! Smiley Happy

TCL $199,800
Message 10 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.