Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App Spree Levels

tag
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

App Spree Levels

I want to talk about something, and it comes in the form of both a rant and a question.

I've been seeing a large number of people coming on here and talking about their "mini" app sprees. Then, they throw out the results of 4 or 5 or more applications. This is not directed at anyone in particular, but rather I think it is just part of the culture from this forum. But how can anyone think this is "mini"!?! If that's mini, I don't want to know what a full app spree is.

I plan to go on an app spree for 3 cards in January, because I think the idea behind a spree is worthwhile FICO-wise. But, I would guess that the average person doesn't have 4 or 5 credit cards total, so if I am approved for all 3 I will be an abnormal consumer. I just hope all the members here understand that and take note that their "mini" spree behavior is likely very difficult for an average consumer to grasp.

Let's just call a spade a spade and say that 3 applications is a full app spree. Anything less than that is probably typical for a normal consumer needing credit Anything more than 5 or 6 is pretty intense. A mini app spree does not exist in my opinion.

Does anyone else feel this way? What are the opinions of others on the levels of app sprees?

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Re: App Spree Levels

I think everyone's definition will vary.  After closing on my house I did 8 cards, got all of them and my score stayed steady.  Some people will do 2 cards and have had enough!  Depends how much you can personally take of apping IMO!

Message 2 of 33
distantarray
Established Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:
I want to talk about something, and it comes in the form of both a rant and a question.

I've been seeing a large number of people coming on here and talking about their "mini" app sprees. Then, they throw out the results of 4 or 5 or more applications. This is not directed at anyone in particular, but rather I think it is just part of the culture from this forum. But how can anyone think this is "mini"!?! If that's mini, I don't want to know what a full app spree is.

I plan to go on an app spree for 3 cards in January, because I think the idea behind a spree is worthwhile FICO-wise. But, I would guess that the average person doesn't have 4 or 5 credit cards total, so if I am approved for all 3 I will be an abnormal consumer. I just hope all the members here understand that and take note that their "mini" spree behavior is likely very difficult for an average consumer to grasp.

Let's just call a spade a spade and say that 3 applications is a full app spree. Anything less than that is probably typical for a normal consumer needing credit Anything more than 5 or 6 is pretty intense. A mini app spree does not exist in my opinion.

Does anyone else feel this way? What are the opinions of others on the levels of app sprees?
  • Average credit card debt per household with credit card debt: $15,956
  • 609.8 million credit cards held by U.S. consumers. 
  • Average number of credit cards held by cardholders: 3.5, as of yearend 2008

App-O-Rama is what people usually refer to as crazy app sprees.... like applying for 15 cards at once, but it's really stupid because most App-O-Rama idiot usually applies for massive amounts of store cards which are usually between two lenders. Comenty and GECRB so they'll know immediately that your at a high risk of charge and filing bankruptcy will close out all your cards. (happens more than you think)

Basics about an App spree is you do it on the same day so the lenders won't realize that your planning to cheat on them with other lenders from the start. After approved it's much easier to keep smooth sailing, kinda like after you get laid once by a person it generally tends to get easier Smiley Wink  and if they do catch you sleeping around it the first one usually likes being the first (PSECU, US BANK etc) 

The key is to only apply for cards that are ACTUALLY worthwhile, and not a card JUST to sock drawer. Although if your credit is established enough to be able to take multiple hits every month and stay above 760+  (possible) then you can stand back and REAP all the benefits of every promotion like this husband and wife team did. I <3 this

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 3 of 33
distantarray
Established Contributor

Also most people are uneducated with credit like knowing about things like Trifecta , benefits of having checking with credit cards, cards that give you 6% back on your groceries, etc until they see it. They all assume it's 1-2 points back cause that's all they see on TV. I've NEVER seen them advertise 5%+ cards on TV personally.

Message 4 of 33
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Not app spree. App drive-by. LMAO.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 5 of 33
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

I Love It! But I still think 3 or more is a full spree!

And thank you Distantarray for proving me right. But I don't know why you provided a ton of lecture material on app sprees... I think you may have misunderstood my post.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 6 of 33
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

2-3 apps is a mini app spree, 4-5 is an app spree and 6+ is a round of "Press You Luck"

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 33
distantarray
Established Contributor

lol opps, but yea App sprees are fine when you aquire enough history and age to warrent continous apping while staying past 760+ scores. But it takes a long time to get to that point. But once your there your garden is flourishing and you won't have a problem finding enough bees to make your honey to make your life  a little sweeter =)

Message 8 of 33
adavis425
Established Contributor

@sccredit wrote:

I think everyone's definition will vary.  After closing on my house I did 8 cards, got all of them and my score stayed steady.  Some people will do 2 cards and have had enough!  Depends how much you can personally take of apping IMO!

+1

Really depends on your comfort level. I don't think there is a "right" number of cards and if someone chooses to app for 15 cards in a go, more power to them. Even if their scores drop, it's not permanent. No big deal as long as you can pay your bills.Smiley Indifferent

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 9 of 33
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@SnackTrader wrote:

• Average credit card debt per household with credit card debt: $15,956
  • 609.8 million credit cards held by U.S. consumers. 
  • Average number of credit cards held by cardholders: 3.5, as of yearend 2008

App-O-Rama is what people usually refer to as crazy app sprees.... like applying for 15 cards at once, but it's really stupid because most App-O-Rama idiot usually applies for massive amounts of store cards which are usually between two lenders. Comenty and GECRB so they'll know immediately that your at a high risk of charge and filing bankruptcy will close out all your cards. (happens more than you think)

Basics about an App spree is you do it on the same day so the lenders won't realize that your planning to cheat on them with other lenders from the start. After approved it's much easier to keep smooth sailing, kinda like after you get laid once by a person it generally tends to get easier Smiley Wink  and if they do catch you sleeping around it the first one usually likes being the first (PSECU, US BANK etc) 

The key is to only apply for cards that are ACTUALLY worthwhile, and not a card JUST to sock drawer. Although if your credit is established enough to be able to take multiple hits every month and stay above 760+  (possible) then you can stand back and REAP all the benefits of every promotion like this husband and wife team did. I <3 this

Oh wow...almost 9 inches...

rofl Smiley Tongue 

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.