Did you mean: 

American Express - Declined

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: American Express - Declined

@Anonymous wrote:
Every oasis number I have tried is always busy

Believe it is handled by the recovery department as they are the ones that can offer it to me if my memory is correct.   Thus why other poster and myself stated that is what the CSR was hinting at.

Message 31 of 74
KSK1912
Valued Contributor

OP  i can understand your frustration, but at the same time every company has their own rules UW guidelines when it comes to lending money. I have 2 cards with barclays and recenty applied for third. They did nt even pull a CR and the denial letter said " You have the mximum credit line barclays would like to extend you at the moment" wihch is only $3500 across 2 cards. Now i can not be mad at them because they did not look at my credit report. Before it got to pulling the report, their internal system already said NO! So i have to learn to live with one less barclays card. I am not an expert on the legal side, so i will not make any comments on you paying amex back and opening the doors to citi to come after you. But if you have burnt someone in the past, it may take quite a while to get back in with them. I have been trying to get a cap one card for the past year, and despite having 700 fico scores, and having a $3K secured card with them, with on time payments and heavy usage, they ae still not letting me in. It frustrates me that i can get 2 cards for my DW with 580 scores, and get a cli from $300 to $800 in less than 2 months, yet i can not get $500 platinum card to save my life. Then, last week while closing the secured card, it hit me, i saw a second account, at the closing account page, with $250 limit, that was a charge off from 5 years ago. I had a secured card with them, and during an emergency, when we left for overseas, we stayed beyond the expected time frame, and the account got closed. It has already been paid off, but just because of that i guess, they are not letting me in. Not much i can do, except to wait until they decide to open the doors to me one day, and if i still want a cap one card.

6/14/15: Equifax 576 Experian 542 Transunion 571
8/17/15: Equifax 626 Experian 619 Transunion 622
9/28/15: Equifax 655 Experian 636 Transunion 641
11/11/15: Equifax 698 Experian 687 Transunion 672
Short Term Goal Score: 720 Across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Are you free Tuesday..?
Message 32 of 74
n777ua
Established Contributor

I'm not an attorney by any means, but that just seems completely wrong.  Once the BK court discharges a debt, its discharged.  Plain and simple.  How could Citi try and come after you again ? 

My ex wife BK7'd years ago and reaffirmed with Von Maur for $600 on the agreement they keep the account open and let her continue to use it.  They agreed.  The other 35 lenders listed on her filing never made a fuss about it.

@Anonymous wrote:
That was the other point, it says I may qualify in the future, why give someone false hope if ur on a black list?

And absolutely, its why I tried to reaffirm it. My attorney said no, I said yes amex said no. He then said if I paid it and citi found out that it would open me back up to the $300k business debt that was still out there. So to your point, should I ignore the legal advice of my attorney and pay amex off and open myself up to legal liability? When Amex wouldnt work with me to get there $ back and prevent that additional liability? It was a charge card after all so they could have limited the purchases back down to nothing.

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 33 of 74
Jon85
Frequent Contributor

My opinions are kind of contradictive on this.... 

I feel like there are times when Amex does practice bad behavior as you said, and I've been a victim of that... a few months ago when I filed a dispute with them, the rep told me to go the police station and file a police report and tell them my item was stolen because that was the only way I was going to get it back. I told her it wasn't stolen and asked her "what do you want me to do, lie to the police and get a false report so you can approve my claim?" and she said "yes, you do whatever you gotta do sir." So I reported her and her supervisor listened to the call and agreed w/me and right then and there approved my claim and put credit back on my account.

But I digress!!

If you want to be back in with Amex, which I feel like you do otherwise you wouldn't have applied and then try to recon and then take it this far, just pay back the $1,200.. beneath it all, beneath all the law stuff you tried to mention and throw at them it all boils down to: you owed them $1,200, didn't pay it, filed BK, and still haven't paid it. If you want it that bad, just pay it and go on... I think you can get that Optima card or what ever they call it at first.

It's like when you're evicted from an apartment for not paying rent... and then a few years later going back to the landlord saying "OKAY I wanna move back in but I want to start fresh.. let's just forget about the past..." lol. 

Either way tho-if you're making 200K a year, I'm sure you can get a much better card than a basic amex like you stated if you don't want to pay them back. So what are you really losing?

Message 34 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

ultimately I would like to get back to a delta reserve card, but there $450 annual fee cards like my United Club have some very strict UW guidelines. allot of threads have indicated that after a year with any amex credit card (not charge) you are usually able to product swap to another card without having to meet the stricter guidelines. 

And for me, its more on principle. I tried to make good with them during the BK, I closed out my other Amex cards I had with them before the BK so they wouldn't be included in hopes they would let me keep the charge which is what many of the posts I have read have said they allow, but they chose not to do business with me. That's the frustrating part. I had been a good Amex client for years and they came back and didn't care. Then to be treated like I was today really pissed me off. Its $1200... not a huge deal to a company like Amex. The funny part is I am now a shareholder of Amex and from that perspective I feel like they are alienating potential clients. There is a reason why nearly every other CC issuer will let customers bank in after 2-3 years, they can charge higher APR, and are usually much more profitable clients. After Amex has lost JetBlue, Costco, and soon to be Starwood portfolios (and arguably hilton portfolio) they have way more customers going out the back door then coming in the front. I am not saying they should approve every customer who burned them, im just saying they should give some people a second chance and not treat us like criminals. 

Message 35 of 74
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

I find this odd and fishy... You said "1- I did not steal from them. I paid back my balance before the BK " then you said the only reason you have not paid them back is because of your attorney telling you not to?. Odd but I guess this is the story of the day.
Message 36 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

I paid back my balance the day before the BK, and then the day I filed an AU on my account made a single charge for $1200, its all in the thread. I contact and my attorney contact Amex realizing what had happened and request to re-affirm the account in the BK and offered to pay the $1200 as it was a charge card (pay in full) and Amex refused. 

If they would have re-affirmed I could have legally paid them back with out any possible repercussions with other debt that was discharged. 

Message 37 of 74
KSK1912
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

ultimately I would like to get back to a delta reserve card, but there $450 annual fee cards like my United Club have some very strict UW guidelines. allot of threads have indicated that after a year with any amex credit card (not charge) you are usually able to product swap to another card without having to meet the stricter guidelines. 

And for me, its more on principle. I tried to make good with them during the BK, I closed out my other Amex cards I had with them before the BK so they wouldn't be included in hopes they would let me keep the charge which is what many of the posts I have read have said they allow, but they chose not to do business with me. That's the frustrating part. I had been a good Amex client for years and they came back and didn't care. Then to be treated like I was today really pissed me off. Its $1200... not a huge deal to a company like Amex. The funny part is I am now a shareholder of Amex and from that perspective I feel like they are alienating potential clients. There is a reason why nearly every other CC issuer will let customers bank in after 2-3 years, they can charge higher APR, and are usually much more profitable clients. After Amex has lost JetBlue, Costco, and soon to be Starwood portfolios (and arguably hilton portfolio) they have way more customers going out the back door then coming in the front. I am not saying they should approve every customer who burned them, im just saying they should give some people a second chance and not treat us like criminals. 

$1200 alone is definitely not a big deal for a company like Amex, but when you multiply that by 50,000, that is $60 Million out of their pocket. You are not the only one that owes to Amex. You could lend only $50 to 1000 people. and to each person, it is only  50 bucks, not a big deal to someone that makes $200K, but to you, that is $50K that you are out.

And as one of your previous posts say, if everyone has to be equally treated when it comes to granting credit, than they should not just give "some people" a second chance, but they should give it to "everybody". If the priviige is given to "some" people, then why do you think you should be one those people? I am not saying this to be mean, or offend OP, but just thinking from Amex's perspective. After all, we are just numbers to them.  

6/14/15: Equifax 576 Experian 542 Transunion 571
8/17/15: Equifax 626 Experian 619 Transunion 622
9/28/15: Equifax 655 Experian 636 Transunion 641
11/11/15: Equifax 698 Experian 687 Transunion 672
Short Term Goal Score: 720 Across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Are you free Tuesday..?
Message 38 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry this happened to you. Fortunately, there are other great issuers out there that I'm sure would like you as a customer.

Sorry that people here get off on piling on you about issues you had in the past.

I hope things work out for you in the future.
Message 39 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The bottom line is you have to treat every application consistantly. If you do one thing for one applciation you have to do the same for all applications. In this case that was not done.

It is their money, they do not have to be fair about it, they just cannot discreminate of specific factors:

http://www.occ.treas.gov/topics/consumer-protection/fair-lending/index-fair-lending.html

And I am pretty sure their policy is to blacklist anyone who burtn them and did not pay back so they are treating everyone in that group the same. Even if they gave an exception, it is well within their right to do so. 

I agree they should not have asked for payment but I am not sure them asking when you contacted them is a violation of any law. (IANAL though)

Message 40 of 74
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.