Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum Application

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Platinum Application

@topgunvfwrote:

+1

I'm in the same boat as well with the most recent app success with Navy this past weekend. Staying in the garden is next to impossible!! This place helps so much trying to stay in check, just have to stay away from the Credit approval forum.......................... Smiley Happy

Much easier said than done Smiley LOL

I seriously thought i might need a 12 step for not apping. I'm trying to fight it, but a few ppl said that not being on the forums helped them to curb the "craving" so to speak. i hope it doesnt come to that, i enjoy the ppl and helping with building or CU info for those that need it. 

Message 41 of 52
topgunvf
Regular Contributor

Smiley Very Happy The urge is so great I never thought it would be the case when I first started the rebuild almost 2 years ago now. I thought I'd hit a wall at some point when I had everything I thought I wanted. Then they go and release new cards with new bonuses to chase and I'm like......really? It's definitely an addiction though not as bad as my caffiene/coffee..... And now there's a card for that too.......I can't win!! Smiley LOL

Message 42 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

Every day I have to pry myself away from applying for either the Amex Platinum and Citi AAdvantage for the bonus offers. I can’t get targeted offers or prequals through incognito based on my past permanent opt out so the 60,000 Amex Platinum offer may be the highest I’ll ever see. It helps that the minimum spend is $5K and I’d have to really TRY to hit that.

It’s a struggle for sure. When I go missing, it’s mostly because I don’t want to be tempted. And to think prior to last April, the last time I’d applied for a new credit card was in 2007. Smh. Lol.
Message 43 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@topgunvfwrote:

Smiley Very Happy The urge is so great I never thought it would be the case when I first started the rebuild almost 2 years ago now. I thought I'd hit a wall at some point when I had everything I thought I wanted. Then they go and release new cards with new bonuses to chase and I'm like......really? It's definitely an addiction though not as bad as my caffiene/coffee..... And now there's a card for that too.......I can't win!! Smiley LOL

Yes you can..   the reward system on the starbucks card is AWEFUL..   unless your an office MGR or someone who buys large amounts of coffee for many ppl.   The rewards dont even come close to justifying the AF at all.   

It is hard to stop apping that for sure.   I really only have 3 left i wanted to get an then i really would be done getting new ones.  But its always the last few cards/points/rewards that are the hardest to get/earn. 

Message 44 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:
Every day I have to pry myself away from applying for either the Amex Platinum and Citi AAdvantage for the bonus offers. I can’t get targeted offers or prequals through incognito based on my past permanent opt out so the 60,000 Amex Platinum offer may be the highest I’ll ever see. It helps that the minimum spend is $5K and I’d have to really TRY to hit that.

It’s a struggle for sure. When I go missing, it’s mostly because I don’t want to be tempted. And to think prior to last April, the last time I’d applied for a new credit card was in 2007. Smh. Lol.

That is kind of why i wanted the Ameriprise Amex, is that there is no 60k offer, but also no AF the first year, so i could really see if it would benefit me to get and keep the card for my type of spend.   If it did, then i could get the "regular" Platinum and make sure i could hit the minimum spend on it. 

Before i started this rebuild, the only other apps i had ever done for credit cards was 99 and 2012 LOL

Message 45 of 52
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

That is kind of why i wanted the Ameriprise Amex, is that there is no 60k offer, but also no AF the first year, so i could really see if it would benefit me to get and keep the card for my type of spend.   If it did, then i could get the "regular" Platinum and make sure i could hit the minimum spend on it. 

Before i started this rebuild, the only other apps i had ever done for credit cards was 99 and 2012 LOL

you think you need a card to try it out?  really? and you question if you can hit the spend?  individual that benefit from something like a platinum can hit a $5K spend in 3 weeks without a hitch.  miles, points, cash or nothing.  those are the choices

edit, and for you or the points lover, its not that hard to get 75/100 offers for the card.  on a pc with chrome clear everything, launch incognito and try a bunch of links from doc or reddit.  I got a 75 for someone the other day that was in a hurry and yesterday got a 100 for someone else.

Message 46 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bourgogne@bourgogne wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

you think you need a card to try it out?  really? and you question if you can hit the spend?  individual that benefit from something like a platinum can hit a $5K spend in 3 weeks without a hitch.  miles, points, cash or nothing.  those are the choices

edit, and for you or the points lover, its not that hard to get 75/100 offers for the card.  on a pc with chrome clear everything, launch incognito and try a bunch of links from doc or reddit.  I got a 75 for someone the other day that was in a hurry and yesterday got a 100 for someone else.

As evidenced by my screen name, I’m a points chaser. By trying, I meant I’d have to refocus spending to the Platinum from my other cards which for the most part have certain parts of my monthly spend.  Regarding retention of the Platinum, I expect to churn it and dump it. 

Regarding the 75,000/100,000 bonus offer, I understand how others are able to get it in incognito mode or utilizing a VPN but I have never been able to duplicate that. My permanent opt-out years ago seems irreversible. I’m able to get preapprovals through Amex but only while being logged in. I’ll try a bit harder though. 

Message 47 of 52
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

@bourgogne@bourgogne wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

As evidenced by my screen name, I’m a points chaser. By trying, I meant I’d have to refocus spending to the Platinum from my other cards which for the most part have certain parts of my monthly spend.  Regarding retention of the Platinum, I expect to churn it and dump it. 

Regarding the 75,000/100,000 bonus offer, I understand how others are able to get it in incognito mode or utilizing a VPN but I have never been able to duplicate that. My permanent opt-out years ago seems irreversible. I’m able to get preapprovals through Amex but only while being logged in. I’ll try a bit harder though. 

what else is there but points.  by churn you mean you are going to keep the card a year and cancel?  they will claw and not pro-rate if you start getting fancy with them.  getting 75 but really 100 would be the only way this would be worth it imo.  you opt has zero to do with what is displayed and if you try enough referral links you will bring up an offer

Message 48 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bourgognewrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

Its not that i couldnt hit the spend, more about if the card would benefit me and the type of spend i do (primarily a CB card guy). WIth that version, i would have no AF the first year. so if it did benefit me to have, then i would go get the one with a 60/100k offer, since that one immediately charges the AF.   You dont get to be someone that has alot of money, if you waste alot of money. 

Message 49 of 52
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

@bourgognewrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

Its not that i couldnt hit the spend, more about if the card would benefit me and the type of spend i do (primarily a CB card guy). WIth that version, i would have no AF the first year. so if it did benefit me to have, then i would go get the one with a 60/100k offer, since that one immediately charges the AF.   You dont get to be someone that has alot of money, if you waste alot of money. 

then you answered your own question, its a point card not a cash card and its for someone that flies, stays in hotels and likes clubs.  the way to make money is to inherit.  you have a bunch of low limit cards, if you want to have a bunch of low limit cards in the future then continue to app for stuff you don't need.  from what I have seen one ends up collecting or having a few cards with $40K limits.  if I could give one piece of advice to most folks it would be to focus on tradelines that do not report. amex bplat, bgr, both inks - fantastic point yield and nobody will be the wiser.  if one aligns themselves with an ink preferred 3x cat then the subs that everyone loses their mind over all the time ends up being loose change.  everyone gets excited that its only a sp with amex but here is a news flash, they still know you are seeking credit and seeking credit is a risk.  amex never forgets.  just ask anyone that has burned them in a bk.  they can bring up a conversation from 3 decades ago, they might have odd csrs but they are no fools.  well except for losing costco lol

Message 50 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.