Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Platinum Application

@bourgognewrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@bourgognewrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@Anonymouswrote:
Every day I have to pry myself away from applying for either the Amex Platinum and Citi AAdvantage for the bonus offers. I can’t get targeted offers or prequals through incognito based on my past permanent opt out so the 60,000 Amex Platinum offer may be the highest I’ll ever see. It helps that the minimum spend is $5K and I’d have to really TRY to hit that.

It’s a struggle for sure. When I go missing, it’s mostly because I don’t want to be tempted. And to think prior to last April, the last time I’d applied for a new credit card was in 2007. Smh. Lol.

That is kind of why i wanted the Ameriprise Amex, is that there is no 60k offer, but also no AF the first year, so i could really see if it would benefit me to get and keep the card for my type of spend.   If it did, then i could get the "regular" Platinum and make sure i could hit the minimum spend on it. 

Before i started this rebuild, the only other apps i had ever done for credit cards was 99 and 2012 LOL

you think you need a card to try it out?  really? and you question if you can hit the spend?  individual that benefit from something like a platinum can hit a $5K spend in 3 weeks without a hitch.  miles, points, cash or nothing.  those are the choices

edit, and for you or the points lover, its not that hard to get 75/100 offers for the card.  on a pc with chrome clear everything, launch incognito and try a bunch of links from doc or reddit.  I got a 75 for someone the other day that was in a hurry and yesterday got a 100 for someone else.

Its not that i couldnt hit the spend, more about if the card would benefit me and the type of spend i do (primarily a CB card guy). WIth that version, i would have no AF the first year. so if it did benefit me to have, then i would go get the one with a 60/100k offer, since that one immediately charges the AF.   You dont get to be someone that has alot of money, if you waste alot of money. 

then you answered your own question, its a point card not a cash card and its for someone that flies, stays in hotels and likes clubs.  the way to make money is to inherit.  you have a bunch of low limit cards, if you want to have a bunch of low limit cards in the future then continue to app for stuff you don't need.  from what I have seen one ends up collecting or having a few cards with $40K limits.  if I could give one piece of advice to most folks it would be to focus on tradelines that do not report. amex bplat, bgr, both inks - fantastic point yield and nobody will be the wiser.  if one aligns themselves with an ink preferred 3x cat then the subs that everyone loses their mind over all the time ends up being loose change.  everyone gets excited that its only a sp with amex but here is a news flash, they still know you are seeking credit and seeking credit is a risk.  amex never forgets.  just ask anyone that has burned them in a bk.  they can bring up a conversation from 3 decades ago, they might have odd csrs but they are no fools.  well except for losing costco lol

If you get the Schwab version, you can turn it into a cash card by redeeming the points for a higher cash value than MR points on other cards. For example: 25,000 points would equal $150 in cash on other cards, whereas it's worth $312.50 with the Scwab Plat.

Message 51 of 52
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum Application

Message 52 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.