Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPO FCU Credit Card Denial

tag
TheRedHat
Established Contributor

GPO FCU Credit Card Denial

*laughing as I type this*

The information in my signature is current. I thought I'd try my luck with my local credit union and get a flat rate credit card for $2500 just because. I was not ready for what would happen next. First, they sent me the paperwork to sign for the approval. Then I got a phone call. This is more of a personal relationship-type bank, so when I answered, they asked my why I wanted their credit card. Then asked what was the result of my inquiry with Penfed (I was denied) and why. When I told them, they lectured me about my credit score being too low (I discovered they use transunion FICO 5, 4 and 2 which was 616 at the time they pulled my Credit Report), gave me a stern talking-to about my inquiries being too high for such a short time frame and that I needed to calm down. It felt like I was being chastised by my mother.

They sighed and told me they were going to approve me anyway, and that they might get a talking-to from their supervisor about it. Then they checked and saw that I also had a loan with them with a balance that was still too high and said they can't approve this right now. Then wanted to help me, but can't today. They advised me to not do anything for the next six months and then call back and they'll give me the card.

I'm sitting here with my mouth wide open. Honestly, I was just seeing how far I could push. Don't know if I will reapply for this one specifically, but I guess I'll garden for awhile then. Smiley Very Happy

Last update: 4/8/2024
Chopping Block:

Goal Cards
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

Re: GPO FCU Credit Card Denial

Imagine if they see you in person! 😲

Message 2 of 4
NyaBuksh
Regular Contributor

I know **bleep** well about that feeling of being lectured about my credit. Somettimes I feel like they can just shut up and give me the denial instead.

You'll get better cards in the future. Smiley Happy

@TheRedHat wrote:

*laughing as I type this*

The information in my signature is current. I thought I'd try my luck with my local credit union and get a flat rate credit card for $2500 just because. I was not ready for what would happen next. First, they sent me the paperwork to sign for the approval. Then I got a phone call. This is more of a personal relationship-type bank, so when I answered, they asked my why I wanted their credit card. Then asked what was the result of my inquiry with Penfed (I was denied) and why. When I told them, they lectured me about my credit score being too low (I discovered they use transunion FICO 5, 4 and 2 which was 616 at the time they pulled my Credit Report), gave me a stern talking-to about my inquiries being too high for such a short time frame and that I needed to calm down. It felt like I was being chastised by my mother.

They sighed and told me they were going to approve me anyway, and that they might get a talking-to from their supervisor about it. Then they checked and saw that I also had a loan with them with a balance that was still too high and said they can't approve this right now. Then wanted to help me, but can't today. They advised me to not do anything for the next six months and then call back and they'll give me the card.

I'm sitting here with my mouth wide open. Honestly, I was just seeing how far I could push. Don't know if I will reapply for this one specifically, but I guess I'll garden for awhile then. Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 4
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like you pushed the envelope and they said no Smiley Very Happy  It appears GPO FCU might be on the conservative end so they're probably not going to see the [previous] excessive credit activities as a welcome mat. At least you tried, but now you know.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.