Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Platinum experience in Spain

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Platinum experience in Spain

Update:

No offer to upgrade my Venture One to Venture.  Looks like Barclay will win...so far. Per Barclay's site, below is their definition of "Travel" elgible credits:

Qualifying Travel Redemptions are defined as: Airlines, Hotels, Motels, Timeshares (I have a Hilton timeshare that i pay for monthly, i can use points to credit this as well), Campgrounds, Car Rental Agencies, Cruise Lines, Travel Agencies, Discount Travel Sites, Trains, Buses, Taxis (Uber counts??), Limousines, and Ferries (wish i had this last week, took a ferry from Spain to Morroco..dang it!). To qualify for redemption, Travel Purchases must be submitted by merchants using the eligible merchant category codes for purchases in the above categories. Barclaycard is not responsible for incorrectly coded purchases.

5% Redemption Bonus

• Redemption bonus miles are earned every time you redeem, regardless of whether you redeem for travel statement credits, cash back statement credits, gift cards and/or merchandise.
Message 31 of 45
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all,

Wanted to provide you with my experience with AMEX Platinum while traveling to Spain with my wife and kid.

1. Meals and drinks were provided by Delta airline, did not use the $200 credit from San Diego to JFK or JFK to Madrid.
  2. We packed well, therefore, we didn’t need/use the $200 credit towards baggage fees.
  3. Did use$8 for a Jack and Coke from Malaga Spain to JFK. Nothing from JFK to San Diego.
  4. Did use the Airspace Lounge in San Diego before leaving. I was also given a $30 card credit to use next time towards premium food/drinks, had to show my AMEX Platinum. We also used the lounges in JFK and Malaga Spain by showing our priority pass and tickets.
  5. JFK customs was packed, and I mean packed!!! But only took us about 45 minutes to get through the line, the machines to scan the passports was easy. Did not use Global entry.
  6. 6 restaurants and 2 mini markets did not accept AMEX, had to pull my CSP.
  7. Water park accepted AMEX but card was declined, what!? Pull my CSP again. After entering into the water park, I get an alert on my AMEX app to confirm a charge that I tried to do. I confirmed that It was me and the message said: “thanks, try again, should be good to go”…TOO LATE, already paid with my CSP.
  8. Took my 8 year old zip lining…no AMEX accepted.
  9. Only one restaurant in the resort took AMEX.

I felt small and stupid by all the denials from restaurants, stores and other business. Such a prestige card…but, can’t use it.  I know AMEX is not accepted everywhere, but dang, really!!

I only upgraded to the Platinum because I was given the offer to get 60k MRs after $5k spent. I hate that I could not use it in Spain at restaurants to meet the spending.  I could still meet the spending now that I’m back in San Diego, but I feel let down.  I DO NOT want it lol, and I don’t want to downgrade to PRG either as I will be using my AMEX Blue Preferred for gas and groceries and CSP for restaurants/uber. For Uber, just by adding my CSP to Uber and dining at restaurants they contract with, I get points towards Uber credits/rides.  Don’t see the need to keep it.

If you were in my shoes right now, would you close it? And maybe get the CSR? The annual fee will be added to my account in October 17th then due on November 17th.  Screw the 60K MRs, I’m very disappointed!

Experiences like yours are one of the reasons American Express isn't even on my radar. It's not that widely accepted internationally and it's by no means prestigious anymore. Visa and/or MC are the way to go. Unless I started flying Delta regularly, I wouldn't see any reason to keep the card, but I'm not in your situation so only you can make that call.

By way of comparison, on our trip to Spain/Portugal (May/June 2017) I took the CSR (Visa) and didn't have a single problem using it anywhere aside from cash-only places, which were few and far between. Everything even coded correctly and I got 3 points/dollar everywhere I used it. I've also used Visa in South Korea, Hong Kong, China, Australia, UK, Germany, Czech Republic, France, Israel, Jordan, Turkey, UAE, Mexico, Canada, Japan, and Switzerland and had 0 problems.

Message 32 of 45
iced
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Amex certainly has somewhat limited acceptance, and they are addressing that - too slowly for many of us, but in the US at least they have made big strides with the OptBlue program.  It does become more hit and miss outside of the US.  One thing I would say is that most of us don't consider the Platinum card to be a daily driver.  It's for the perks and protection more than anything.  Using it for big-ticket travel purchases (hotels, airfare, auto rentals) and higher end dining, you'll find almost universal acceptance in most of the world.  

Also +1 on the GE taking forever to do; my family actually ended up doing our interviews outside of the US as there were no Boston appointments available at all and I know many other locations have their earliest appointment 6 months or longer out.  The good news is that you can always schedule any available appointment to hold your place for GE, then if one becomes available at your local airport sooner or you find yourself traveling to (or though, if the layover is long enough) an airport that has available appointments, you can get it done there.

I think this year in particular will be bad for GE appointments. The first round of GE applicants are coming up for renewal in 2017/2018 which is tacking load on top of new applicants. My wife had a 3 month delay last year (we're also Boston) to get her interview and my GE is coming up for renewal in about 9 months which has me worried as well. Maybe a trip to flyover country is in order!

Message 33 of 45
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

One thing to consider with the Barclay A+ is that is has a MINIMUM redemption of $100 that cannot be used on combined purchases.  This pretty much only makes it good for reimbursing flights, hotels, and larger travel purchases, not smaller purchases like metro or cab fare.

Cap1 Venture has a smaller bonus, but has no rules around redemptions.  Points show up as soon as the purchase posts and you can use as many or as few as you want for reimbursements.

Message 34 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrDisco99 wrote:

One thing to consider with the Barclay A+ is that is has a MINIMUM redemption of $100 that cannot be used on combined purchases.  This pretty much only makes it good for reimbursing flights, hotels, and larger travel purchases, not smaller purchases like metro or cab fare.

Cap1 Venture has a smaller bonus, but has no rules around redemptions.  Points show up as soon as the purchase posts and you can use as many or as few as you want for reimbursements.

Corrrect...and my credits would be for big purchases such as flights.  My other option would be to go straight Fidelity Visa for 2x and put all that cash aside for a year, No AF.

Message 35 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would there be any consequences if i purchse the $200 in Delta egift cards then close/downgrade the Platinum before Statement closes on September 17th?

Message 36 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I made my decision.  Below is everything I can charge on credit cards per month.  So basically going to stick with my Fidelity Visa for 2x.  I would be getting $250/year which is good for me considering it is not an AF card.  Gas and groceries will go on my AMEX Blue Preferred for an estimate of $414 - $95 AF = $319.  I know there might be better options out there, but for now, I want to work with what I have so i don't have to upgrade any and pay AFs.

So for the Platinum, I will be ordering the 4x $50 egift cards, wait for posting of credits then close completely before statement closes on Setptember 17th...of course I will transfer my MRs to Delta.  I can get Uber points by using my CSP linked to Uber and dining out at many different places.  Didn't use Global entry and don't think I ever will.  Didn't use the $200 annual credit on the planes or car rental (always use CSP).  Bye Platinum!

Thanks all for your responses!!

Monthly Expenses
BillAmountPoints/$1
Water$57114
Cox$60120
Netflix$1224
Cell$237474
School Care$57114
Dog Insurance$4999
Spotify$1530
SDD&E$100200
State Farms$298596
Hilton Timeshare$141282
Home Alarm$3366
Monthly$1,0592,118
Yearly$12,70925,417

Message 37 of 45
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I made my decision.  Below is everything I can charge on credit cards per month.  So basically going to stick with my Fidelity Visa for 2x.  I would be getting $250/year which is good for me considering it is not an AF card.  Gas and groceries will go on my AMEX Blue Preferred for an estimate of $414 - $95 AF = $319.  I know there might be better options out there, but for now, I want to work with what I have so i don't have to upgrade any and pay AFs.

So for the Platinum, I will be ordering the 4x $50 egift cards, wait for posting of credits then close completely before statement closes on Setptember 17th...of course I will transfer my MRs to Delta.  I can get Uber points by using my CSP linked to Uber and dining out at many different places.  Didn't use Global entry and don't think I ever will.  Didn't use the $200 annual credit on the planes or car rental (always use CSP).  Bye Platinum!

Does your local Costco have a gas station? For me, lower prices + 4% back makes it far and away the best deal for gas. Would you just use CSP at Costco?

You do have a lot of cards with a lot of different logins for your spend level, so I can understand wanting to simplify a bit.

Does your dining give you more Uber credits than you need, making all your trips award rides? Do you see any value in the non-travel Platinum perks like the concierge?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 38 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Does your local Costco have a gas station? No For me, lower prices + 4% back makes it far and away the best deal for gas. Would you just use CSP at Costco?

You do have a lot of cards with a lot of different logins for your spend level, so I can understand wanting to simplify a bit.

Does your dining give you more Uber credits than you need, making all your trips award rides? Not sure yet, just enrolled. Do you see any value in the non-travel Platinum perks like the concierge? I didn't even use the Platinum concierge.

Message 39 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

OMG, and here I am just about to write a post how wonderful AMEX Platinum had been.  My family of 4 just returned from Europe (we started in Barcelona and flew back from London).

We knew AMEX will not be welcome everywhere, so we brought a Visa card with us.  However, the AMEX Plat deemed worthy on the lounges alone.  I used Expedia for hotels, and Expedia took AMEX, so that helped me get to the $5K goal.

When we got back, I booked a trip to San Diego, and AMEX automatically credited back the $200 (for tickets). I am glad I don't have to think of incidentals and was able to use the airline credit for tickets.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Message 40 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.