Did you mean: 

Add a card? What's best?

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Add a card? What's best?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You should still be able to establish membership and then you can either apply now or wait a few months. It's a HP to join and a hard pull to app either way

Looking at the threads on NCFU, it looks like almost everyone is being accepted and granted a decently sized limit. They also seem like a great CU! I just joined NLUS. Going to go into a branch and apply. See how it shakes out. I'm excited! Thanks for the info! 

I hope you joined the San Diego chapter; otherwise it won't work.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 21 of 41
driftless
Valued Contributor

You may also want to try for a second Cap One cards. I did my rebuild with only two cards, both Cap One. Good luck!
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 22 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Q thanks for all the advice guys!! I did join the San Diego chapter

Message 23 of 41
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

OK good.

NFCU will give you the best deal.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 24 of 41
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@dragontears wrote:
Seriously? The freedom unlimited has the exact same rewards structure as the qs which the OP already has. Randomly recommending cards is not that helpful.
OP I would recommend you look at your spend and figure out if there is a category you might benefit from by having a card just for that (gas, dining, etc).

I'd agree here. I see no point in adding a Freedom Unlimited unless you want to get into the UR point/travel thing and combine with a Sapphire family card. If not, the Freedom Unlimited is no better than the existing Quicksilver.

I'd find a card that either covers categories you spend a lot on and/or a rotating card and start there. You're in pretty good shape getting 1.5% on every purchase, but you can gain a bit more.

Without info on what  kind of rewards OP wants, I'd point out Discover as a good company. The 5% categories may or may not be useful to OP though, but Discover is a good lender (IMO) for a younger thinner file.

Message 25 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

OK good.

NFCU will give you the best deal.

+1,000

Message 26 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Diacover prefers to not offer me any products at this time. As do most other lenders. I'm at 4 HPs I believe. I really don't care much about reward ATM. 

I just want to expand my profile and build the scores up. Have a family now. Time to get serious about things and get us a home. 

Message 27 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I would recommend emailing in your application for NFCU, it will take a few days to process. Then apply for the CashRewards card, it has a promo this month.

Message 28 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If I would recommend emailing in your application for NFCU, it will take a few days to process. Then apply for the CashRewards card, it has a promo this month.

Did that today. They only asked for my ID and the email from NLUS - SD and then I filled out the paper app inside the branch. There was one very close to me so I went that route. Figured I wanted to check out the place anyway. They had iPads in the waiting area so you can check the news, email, etc. Kids can play on them too. Pretty neat. 

Anyway, I'm just worried I have pretty low scores (590-608 at last look) and I'm not sure I can qualify for any of their credit products. Hate to risk any more HPs but I guess they will mostly be off in another year so... oh well, right? I'm second guessing myself hard-core on whether to seek more TLs. I would really like to add at least one more card to my profile though. 

Any thoughts? 

Message 29 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

caleb, in your situation, the Discover secured card might be worth looking at. 

From what it sounds like, you've got some building and gardening to do. It doesn't seem likely that you'll be able to get much in the way of great unsecured rewards cards. 

The Discover secured might even be better than any of the rewards cards you might get, and could make a lot of sense. As others have said, Discover is a very good bank to deal with and get in with with a young profile. You can get great rewards with the secured card (especially if you switch the rewards program from the default Chrome to the regular It as soon as you can). When you do that, you have a very nice combo with the QSOne/Discover. Sure, it'll take at least 7 months for the Discover to graduate, but it's still a nice rewards card to have in the meantime and you are probably 6+ months away from getting a premium rewards card anyway.  You can go ahead and lock in that great combo without going out and racking up a bunch of inquries on denials.

There's also the Cashback Match year with Discover. You're little ol' secured card would immediately be your best everyday spend card even on non-bonus stuff. That does lead me to the caveat on the Discover secured. It's not necessarily great to start the Cashback Match year on the secured card with such a low limit (unless you are prepared to make a sizable deposit), but there are plenty of ways to make it work out very well. Whether you go small or big on the deposit, it can work great depending on your goals. 

Then once your credit gets within range, I'd be checking the Chase pre-approval site regularly aiming to get the regular Freedom once you can get pre-approved online. You want to make sure and get the Freedom while still in the 5/24 window. 

The QSOne/Discover/Freedom trio makes for a fantastic rewards structure until you get in position to replace the QSOne with a better non-bonus spend card, like maybe the Citi DC. Though, again, that Discover would be your best non-bonus card for the first year anyway. 

It'd be a great spot for anyone to be in. Only 3 cards, well within the window to add another Chase card if you like, and not a bunch of inquiries. 

What you don't want to do right now is rack up a bunch of inquires, and either end up with denials or cards that you won't end up using down the line. 

Message 30 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.