Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One QS1 to QS PC... Finally!

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Capital One QS1 to QS PC... Finally!

Somebody call the preacher... I think hell just froze over!  Smiley Surprised

I was bored, and figured I'd try the Capital One chat again just to see if by some chance I would have a different result in having my QS1 changed to a no-AF Quicksilver.  The account will be nine years old in a few months, and has a legacy annual fee of $79 which they have consistently refused to waive.  The best I've been able to do is get half of it credited back after the fact, which leaves me with a fee of $39.50, which is still higher than a new QS1 card holder would pay.

I've been trying for literally years now to get something done about that AF; each time I've been told "there are no offers available on your account".  The last time I tried was during the holidays... I was given the usual 'no' and encouraged to try back in a few weeks, but otherwise I was exactly where I started. 

Fast-forward to today, I figured I would give it a try just to see what would happen.  I fully expected to be told 'no' once again, and in a few months to simply merge the QS1 into my newer QS Visa Signature before the AF is due and call it a day.  Since I would really prefer to retain the older account due to it's age I decided to give it another go. 

This time was different... a product change was available!   screamer.gif

My account could be PC'd to either the Venture One or the Quicksilver, so of course I chose the Quicksilver.  My credit limit is only $3900, so I might have cost myself a chance at a World MasterCard by not waiting until it was over $5k, but that's OK... my main objective was to be able to retain the card with no AF, which I've now accomplished. 

The APR on this card is a relatively low 15.15% (compared to my QS Visa at 18.15%) so the thought has crossed my mind to combine the QS Visa and keep the MasterCard, but there are balance transfer options on the Visa that the MasterCard doesn't get, so for now I'll just leave them where they are.  It's something I can always revisit in the future, though.

I'm putting this here instead of in approvals since it really only involves an annual fee, and my primary purpose is to provide a data point regarding a QS1 to QS upgrade.  This account was an Orchard Bank/HSBC account before it was converted to Capital One, and until now I thought that the account's humble beginnings would forever hold it back.  If you've been trying to get your own card upgraded, don't give up... I'm proof that they can "change their mind"!  Smiley Very Happy

Note:  My online profile still shows a QS1 MasterCard, but the CSR said it would take 2-3 days for the change to be complete so I guess this is to be expected.

Edit:  Corrected APR

Message 1 of 51
50 REPLIES 50
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One QS1 to QS PC... Finally!

Congrats!  Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 51
baller4life
Super Contributor

Good job!! Your persistence paid off! Smiley Very Happy
Message 3 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

image.jpeg

Message 4 of 51
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@galahad15 wrote:

Congrats!  Smiley Happy

Thanks!

@baller4life wrote:
Good job!! Your persistence paid off! Smiley Very Happy

Yeah, I guess sometimes persistence does pay! 

I have to admit, though, this time around I kind of felt like Morgan Freeman's character at the parole hearing in Shawshank Redemption... I (almost) didn't care anymore, but I wanted to at least 'try' so I would know I had done everything possible. 

Low and behold my card got paroled!  LOL  Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 51
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

image.jpeg

I love it!!   Smiley Very Happy

amensquirel.jpg

Message 6 of 51
Creditdreamer
Established Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

Yeah, I guess sometimes persistence does pay! 

I have to admit, though, this time around I kind of felt like Morgan Freeman's character at the parole hearing in Shawshank Redemption... I (almost) didn't care anymore, but I wanted to at least 'try' so I would know I had done everything possible. 

Low and behold my card got paroled!  LOL  Smiley Very Happy

"So you go on and stamp your form, sonny, and stop wasting my time. Because to tell you the truth, I don't give a ...." Smiley Wink

Love it. And congrats finally!

Starting: EQ 498 TU 501 EX 485 (9/23/11)
As of 5/12: EQ 552 TU 591 EX 572
Credit Repair Journey Bump in the Road
As of 10/15: EQ 511 TU 588 EX 601
Discover TU Fico- 12/31/18: 694; CK EQ- 1/16/19: 634
Goal: All 3 above 700

Message 7 of 51
Creditdreamer
Established Contributor

Your thread encouraged me to try to PC my Platinum to a QS no AF again. I've tried probably three times in the last couple months (I've had the card for about 4 months). One time they told me they would do it, then transferred me and the new rep said that I didn't have an offer. Confusing. But anyway........

APPROVED. Yay! Now I have two QS Mastercards. My plan is to keep trying for CLIs and then wait about a year or year and a half from opening and then combine. We'll see how it goes.

Starting: EQ 498 TU 501 EX 485 (9/23/11)
As of 5/12: EQ 552 TU 591 EX 572
Credit Repair Journey Bump in the Road
As of 10/15: EQ 511 TU 588 EX 601
Discover TU Fico- 12/31/18: 694; CK EQ- 1/16/19: 634
Goal: All 3 above 700

Message 8 of 51
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Congrats! My QS1 just got converted to a no-AF QS WMC as well. Maybe the tides are changing at Capital One!

Message 9 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nicely done, UncleB! And congrats to all y'all!

Message 10 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.