Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA DEBIT CARD FRAUD

tag
gingerflower
Senior Contributor

BOA DEBIT CARD FRAUD

Evening my fico friends been with Boa for 16 years never have I had a Check Debit fraud on my checking account.  14 debit transactions which I got an email stating online purchases with 2 different companies.  This is unbelievable I just got a renewal card last month activated card but never used it. How in the world did these SCAM BAGS GET THE LAST 4 DIGITS OF MY DEBIT CARD! So far 7 charges have been reversed to my account . Fraud dept says it takes 1-2 days to reverse charges. What a joke! I am so pissed with BOA and thinking of switching my direct deposits to another financial institution.  Boa closed the debit card reissued another. 

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: BOA DEBIT CARD FRAUD

@gingerflower wrote:

Evening my fico friends been with Boa for 16 years never have I had a Check Debit fraud on my checking account.  14 debit transactions which I got an email stating online purchases with 2 different companies.  This is unbelievable I just got a renewal card last month activated card but never used it. How in the world did these SCAM BAGS GET THE LAST 4 DIGITS OF MY DEBIT CARD! So far 7 charges have been reversed to my account . Fraud dept says it takes 1-2 days to reverse charges. What a joke! I am so pissed with BOA and thinking of switching my direct deposits to another financial institution.  Boa closed the debit card reissued another. 

What a pita!  Can you live without a debit card?  If so, when the new card comes in don't activate it.  If possible, lock it as well. 

How did you find out to begin with?  Did BoA notify you via email or did the email come from another source? 

Did fraud dept state they were going to investigate all 14 charges first or are they reversing all 14 (7 already) post haste?  Frankly 1-2 days is pretty quick, though immediately would be ideal. 

1. Do you have BoA alerts set up to notify you via text, phone call, or email?  If you have the option, choose them all.  Text being the best, imo.

2. Do you have any autopay(s) due 15 days early or even right at due date that you may have forgotten?  If so, call your card company(s) or change funding source if possible.  You don't want a return.

3. Any subscriptions coming out of that acct. soon/now?  You don't want a decline.

Sorry this is something you're dealing with. Sux!

eta:

4.  Have you written any checks that might be returned until reservals are complete?

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 2 of 25
Heatt99
Frequent Contributor

Sorry to hear that ot happened to your debit card.

My personal & business CC has fraud charges that I have to dispute. What's crazy is that there is no option to freeze both cards.

Message 3 of 25
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Heatt99 wrote:

Sorry to hear that ot happened to your debit card.

My personal & business CC has fraud charges that I have to dispute. What's crazy is that there is no option to freeze both cards.

No freeze or lock?

What FI issued those cards?

Message 4 of 25
gingerflower
Senior Contributor

@GApeachy 

Thank you for the advice appreciate it. I got notified by txt and email which I quickly called boa  Boa and said I did not make any of the charges which fraud dept quickly shut down the debit card and will reissue another card. So far there is 3 more charges left to be reversed . Fraud dept checked all payments I made to my creditors have been paid. I also have one of my Boa cc to cover any overdrafts. I have no auto pays or subscription auto pay. I definitely not active debit card when I receive.  What a stressful situation to deal with. 😞

Message 5 of 25
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@gingerflower wonderful!  It looks like BoA handled the situation diligently and all the "stops" were put into place. Do you need an active debit card number in order to get paid...direct deposit by any chance?  If so, maybe there is a lock feature you turn on. 👍

Message 6 of 25
gingerflower
Senior Contributor

@Heatt99 

Ty for your reply,  sorry to hear your personal and business Cc has fraud. I to have 2 personal and 1 business cc's with Boa so far no fraud on personal or business.  I asked Boa not to reissue another debit card but I was told in order to have a checking acct you have to have a debit card..That sucks! But, when I receive the new debit card I will not activate card. I agree there is no way on Boa to freeze debit or cc's.. I hope you get your fraud resolved. 

Message 7 of 25
GApeachy
Super Contributor

chrome_screenshot_1685816448224.png

Message 8 of 25
gingerflower
Senior Contributor

Yes Boa was diligent in resolving the fraud situation.  I'm not sure if I need a debit card in order to get paid with my direct deposits.  Both govt direct deposit is thru my checking account.  But, I will definitely check if I can freeze the debit card or not activate card at all.

Message 9 of 25
gingerflower
Senior Contributor

@GApeachy 

Ty for the mobile app info , I have the mobile app but did not know of the pause, lock/unlock. Will definitely look into this. I rarely use the debit card.Thkss GApeachyy !!

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.