cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10% / 30% Utilization question and FICO score...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

10% / 30% Utilization question and FICO score...

I understand the break points for FICO scoring with UTL as it pertains to Total Available CL on my CR and user optimization for scoring. As far as indivdual accounts go, do the same break points apply towards FICO or is that just for creditor CLI determination as a DP? For instance, is FICO affected if XYZ CC utilization is 50% however total overall UTL on my report is 7% for all accounts in the aggregate?

43 REPLIES 43
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: 10% / 30% Utilization question and FICO score...

@Anonymous wrote:

I understand the break points for FICO scoring with UTL as it pertains to Total Available CL on my CR and user optimization for scoring. As far as indivdual accounts go, do the same break points apply towards FICO or is that just for creditor CLI determination as a DP? For instance, is FICO affected if XYZ CC utilization is 50% however total overall UTL on my report is 7% for all accounts in the aggregate?

I couldn't understand your question but for optimized FICO scores

(a) overall utilization should be 9% or less

(b) individual account utilization should be 29% or less

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. You answered my question. I have (1) card pushing 50% but my total for all CLs is under 7%. Was wondering if I get dinged for the (1) CC being over 30% by FICO even though everything together is under 10%. Is the sub 30% on individual accounts a creditor DP for CLI or a FICO DP for scoring?

Message 3 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Your FICO scores are influenced by both your aggregate utilization and the utilization on your individual credit cards.

In addition to the well-known scoring breakpoints of 28.9%, 48.9%, 68.9% and 88.9% utilization for individual accounts, there is also an 8.9% breakpoint for aggregate utilization.  As SouthJamaica says, your scores are optimized when none of your individual card utilization exceed 28.9% and your aggregate utilization is less than 8.9%.

Message 4 of 44
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the reply. You answered my question. I have (1) card pushing 50% but my total for all CLs is under 7%. Was wondering if I get dinged for the (1) CC being over 30% by FICO even though everything together is under 10%. Is the sub 30% on individual accounts a creditor DP for CLI or a FICO DP for scoring?

You get dinged for any account that is 30%, so make it 29% or less.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome guys... Thanks! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Remember that overall utilization is King to [highest] individual card utilization.  Where an aggregate threshold-crossing may be good for (say) 10-15 points, sometimes an individual card threshold crossing is reported to be only a few points depending on profile.

Message 7 of 44
AllZero
Mega Contributor

There is also individual optimization at 8.9% or under. I saw 5 points. You might see the same when you crossing a threshold; eg 28.9% -> 8.9% while AZEO
Message 8 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CassieCard I believe found one at ~4%, IIRC.
Message 9 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
@CassieCard I believe found one at ~4%, IIRC.

Yes she did, but it doesn't give very much:  +1 to +4pts: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/EX-has-a-4-aggregate-utilization-threshold-0-4/m-p/5639664/highlight/true#M156846

Also, check out @Revelate 's thread for a mirror image of those gains on a much different profile: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/EX-Individual-Tradeline-utilization-33-2/m-p/5675512/highlight/true#M158265

Message 10 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.