Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AU vs. Joint

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AU vs. Joint

Hey everyone, I have a joint account with parents for Chase CC with $25,000 limit.  The bureaus are listing it as if I was an Authorized User.  Should I dispute that or would it even make a difference as far as score or manual underwrite is concerned.

Thanks

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AU vs. Joint

If I had to choose, I'd be an AU over a joint user. If anything went south, then I could remove my self easily. As a joint user, you can't do that. Score-wise, there is no difference per FICO. Under a manual review, there should be no difference, though I am not sure how they'd look at it in terms of DTI. I suppose more favorable than a joint user.

You should have been added as a joint user if your name was on the app at the very day they applied for it. You cannot be added as a joint user after the app was submitted.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks llecs.  I am actually already a joint user but it's being reported as an AU.  So if it doesn't matter even with manual review, I guess I'll just leave it as AU as far as my reports go,

Message 3 of 12
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@llecs wrote:

If I had to choose, I'd be an AU over a joint user. If anything went south, then I could remove my self easily. As a joint user, you can't do that. Score-wise, there is no difference per FICO. Under a manual review, there should be no difference, though I am not sure how they'd look at it in terms of DTI. I suppose more favorable than a joint user.

You should have been added as a joint user if your name was on the app at the very day they applied for it. You cannot be added as a joint user after the app was submitted.

I don't think this is true. I was added as a joint on a Chase card three months ago, I had to fill out an application just like if I was going to be getting a new card under my own name. They placed a hard inquiry on my file.  At that point, my AU was changed to Joint on the CRAs file, and the statements now come in both of our names.

-scott

Edited for horrible grammar.

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Scott,

llecs is probably right about no score difference between being AU or Joint, but do you know if when getting a mortgage pre-approval that the manual review would look better with a joint account. If so I'd have to dispute because even though I'm a joint account holder, the bureaus still haven't updated my report as joint.  Thanks to llecs and scott.

PS-I know this may seem trivial, but I don't like disputing things anymore if I don't have to.

Message 5 of 12
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey Scott,

llecs is probably right about no score difference between being AU or Joint, but do you know if when getting a mortgage pre-approval that the manual review would look better with a joint account. If so I'd have to dispute because even though I'm a joint account holder, the bureaus still haven't updated my report as joint.  Thanks to llecs and scott.

PS-I know this may seem trivial, but I don't like disputing things anymore if I don't have to.

Yeah he is def. right about the scoring in regards to FICO, and from my understanding AU accounts are NOT considered in any way when it comes to mortgages.

I was merely disputing him on being added as a joint after the fact, it can happen. I just did it haha

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 6 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey Scott,

And you are absolutely certain that you are a joint account holder, rather than an AU? You filled out an application, and you have a hard inquiry from Chase on your report(s)?

Sorry, not to sound like I'm doubting you, but this gets bobbled a lot. Smiley Tongue

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have talked to a low level phone person on the phone and she said that I was Joint, I was able to sign up online and see all account info. and the bills come in both of our names so I'm quite sure I'm joint account holder.  Weird though, I filled out app. but didn't get an inquiry, maybe because I was an AU first? Haulingscore, should I make CRA's report as such (as a joint) for purpose of a mortgage?

THanks, 

Dylan

Message 8 of 12
kjm79
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey Scott,

And you are absolutely certain that you are a joint account holder, rather than an AU? You filled out an application, and you have a hard inquiry from Chase on your report(s)?

Sorry, not to sound like I'm doubting you, but this gets bobbled a lot. Smiley Tongue

While not on a Chase card, I was added as a joint cardholder on my DH's CFNA/Firestone card a year after he opened it.  They sent me a paper asking if I wanted to be an AU (no liability) or a Joint Card Holder (liability), didn't get any kind of hard or soft pull and was added as a joint holder.  So while I think it's rare, this can happen. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 9 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

I have talked to a low level phone person on the phone and she said that I was Joint, I was able to sign up online and see all account info. and the bills come in both of our names so I'm quite sure I'm joint account holder.  Weird though, I filled out app. but didn't get an inquiry, maybe because I was an AU first? Haulingscore, should I make CRA's report as such (as a joint) for purpose of a mortgage?

THanks, 

Dylan

Well, IMO, if you're stuck with the potential hazards of a joint account, you might as well enjoy any benefits as well, including having it report properly.

Odd about the lack of an inquiry, but you did fill out an app, and it sure sounds like you're considered a joint owner.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.