Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum Etiquette

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Forum Etiquette

The following is a list of threads which pertain to the etiquette that we expect in the myFICO community.  These are clarifications, recommendations, and mandates from the following myFICO references:

Etiquette threads:

        
Message 14 of 43
42 REPLIES 42
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Friendly, Supportive, and Respectful

Hello folks,

This is an open letter to the entire community.

Recently we've been seeing a decline in general courtesy on this forum; we've strived to make this forum a Friendly, Supportive, and Respectful online resource for credit education and similar topics, and as of late we have been straying from that ideal.  We do not want to see this continue to slide into the typical online community where mostly anything goes, and as such, we are going to be taking more active stance when it comes to handling occurrences of inappropriate material.

From our User Guidelines:

Inappropriate material

In the spirit of a healthy and helpful community, profanity, spam, personal attacks, flaming, and other inappropriate postings are not tolerated.  Such material may be edited or removed, and egregious or repeat offenders will be banned from future participation in myFICO Forums.

This is a violation in accordance with our Terms of Service, specifically:

• Attacks, including “Flaming” another user or entity in such a way as to incite or perpetuate an argument or conflict; creating usernames to attack other users’ identities; impersonating other individuals or falsely representing one’s identity or qualifications; posts made under secondary user names or other aliases for the purpose of either endorsing or denigrating others; posts that breach any participant’s privacy by including name, address, phone, email address, or any other identifying information.

We don't want to shutdown the discourse of ideas entirely, and some information even when posted perfectly in accordance with our policies will be viewed as negative to certain members: we will continue to apply our admittedly subjective standard of reasonableness in such situations, but we have had recent incidents which have crossed the line, and these we want to eliminate.

For more information, please refer to our User Guidelines and our Terms of Service.

Thank you, and we greatly appreciate everyone's efforts in keeping this forum as a Friendly, Supportive, and Respectful environment!

--Revelate, myFICO moderator

        
Message 1 of 43
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Re: Friendly, Supportive, and Respectful -- 2/6/14

Thanks Revelate!  I guess my troublemaking has gotten too far and reached MyFICO Executive Office.   Oh boy I gotta stay out of trouble....

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 2 of 43
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Very thoughtful reminder Revelate. I personally haven't experienced any of the sort but having been a Moderator myself in a pc security forum, it's always reassuring to see mods bring attention where they find it to the better interest of all to keep a forum running smoothly and hopefully with low maintenance Smiley Happy

We appreciate all your efforts. Keep up the great work. This is a very unique forum with super helpful membership & mods alike.

Thanks.
Message 3 of 43
notfancy
Valued Contributor

Thanks for this. I have noticed some of the posts referenced here, and they are disheartening to see and while some of the expressions made are some what understandable, that isn't the intent of this forum. It's also sort of the way things are said that tarnishes the intended message. I hope that going forward, people will be more thoughtful and understanding before they post.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 4 of 43
megaman1
Regular Contributor

Thanks for this. Some people in this forum are so rude.

Message 5 of 43
Longroad
Established Contributor

I want to apologize if some of this was my fault. I have been extremely disrespectful of the CRAs and have let the frustration spill out. I apologize for this and will strive to keep posts and comments positive. Please accept my sincerest apologies. 

Message 6 of 43
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@Longroad wrote:

I want to apologize if some of this was my fault. I have been extremely disrespectful of the CRAs and have let the frustration spill out. I apologize for this and will strive to keep posts and comments positive. Please accept my sincerest apologies. 

I haven't read your posts, but I am guessing that this was not Rev's intent. Venting is perfectly understandable. Just read some posts about Midland Credit Management lol.. I think he meant more comments and posts directed at other forum members that come here asking for help and advice and getting (to paraphrase) comments such as "well if you didn't do X you wouldn't be in this situation!" Sometimes the comments are... accurate in their way, but snide and unhelpful in tone. I think it's hard enough to come asking for help and advice about something as personal and stressful as credit and finances with out also having to get comments posted to your threads that suggest that you are some kind of "loser" or "idiot" (not that I saw those exact kinds of words but it was certainly implied in the tone of the comments.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 7 of 43
Longroad
Established Contributor

@notfancy wrote:

@Longroad wrote:

I haven't read your posts, but I am guessing that this was not Rev's intent. Venting is perfectly understandable. Just read some posts about Midland Credit Management lol.. I think he meant more comments and posts directed at other forum members that come here asking for help and advice and getting (to paraphrase) comments such as "well if you didn't do X you wouldn't be in this situation!" Sometimes the comments are... accurate in their way, but snide and unhelpful in tone. I think it's hard enough to come asking for help and advice about something as personal and stressful as credit and finances with out also having to get comments posted to your threads that suggest that you are some kind of "loser" or "idiot" (not that I saw those exact kinds of words but it was certainly implied in the tone of the comments.

I have seen those. And I wouldn't be worried about the CRAs so much if I hadn't done what I did in the past. This is really a big support group as I see it. And everyone has been very supportive of me. I wouldn't be anywhere close to where I am without this forum. Everyone should remember that we all need help sometimes. 

Message 8 of 43
TXinandout
Frequent Contributor

The reason I came here is because I got sick of seen that type of disrespectful behavior in a different credit forum (older than this one) I used to visit very often. Im glad to see zero tolerance here, I have always for the most part seen most people support and encourage each other.
BK Discharged 06/02/2016 SCORES AROUND 475

Current scores:
EXP-667
EQ-654
TU-653
Message 9 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.